What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Haha now that's drawing a long bow! Questioning the value of one of the biggest competitions in world sport on one game result lol.

Even by their standards this is childish. Csnt beleive he has said all of that tbh.

I know heaps of people who already going to ditch it for the epl and many mote having doubts with 4 nrl games on fta come 2018. Rip fox

DiegoNT

First Grade
"You might have noticed yesterday, Bayern Munich beat Arsenal 5-1 in the Champions League which may be itself an indictment of the value of the Premier League."

Wow. Just wow.
Someone really needs to get that quote to be mad and rabid epl fans taking over the foxsports facebook page

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even by their standards this is childish. Csnt beleive he has said all of that tbh.

I know heaps of people who already going to ditch it for the epl and many mote having doubts with 4 nrl games on fta come 2018. Rip fox

Yep 4 games on fta live and no expansion will see my fox $110 a month going to Netflix, NFL game pass and beer!

mongoose

Coach
Not sure if this question has been asked but if the remaining NRL games got picked up by Optus or whoever, are they going to produce all the content themselves? Don't forget Foxtel are filming and producing their own broadcast.

Cletus

First Grade
Maybe someone could let him know you can record games on the IQ and watch them in the morning. A bit of competition and foxtel will be out of business with these clowns running it.

RoosTah

Juniors
Not sure if this question has been asked but if the remaining NRL games got picked up by Optus or whoever, are they going to produce all the content themselves? Don't forget Foxtel are filming and producing their own broadcast.

Actually, someone mentioned earlier on here that that's not accurate. Foxtel really just do the commentary; they outsource all match day filming to another company that also do it all for Channel 9.

So in theory all optus would need to do is just make an arrangement with them.

I wonder if Sam Burgess's return to Rugby League might add a little bit extra to the TV money as interest in him and Souths on his return will attract neutral sports fans

BlueandGold

Juniors
Yep 4 games on fta live and no expansion will see my fox $110 a month going to Netflix, NFL game pass and beer!

I know f**k all but one thing is for certain is that Fox need to Pay for 1 extra game of NRL and need to pay for Simulcasting of all 9 games and finals if they want to hold onto the largest chunk of subs in the Northern States.

NRL licking lips at the possibilities...;-)

mongoose

Coach
Actually, someone mentioned earlier on here that that's not accurate. Foxtel really just do the commentary; they outsource all match day filming to another company that also do it all for Channel 9.

really, I figured foxsports did it all themselves. Even better for the NRL then.

Last Week

Bench
Things like NRL 360,Sterlo, Matty Johns, etc etc, are filmed and produced by Fox. Does anyone know if this counts as contra?

Also, digital rights are going to be interesting. Even more interesting the longer the negotiations get drawn out. I would seriously be tempted to sign a shorter deal of just 2 or 3 years. There is going to be a heap of bidders in the future. Optus is just the tip of it.

It's possible that the NRL could be the main content sought after when digital/mobile streaming takes over subscription television as the premier format. The transition period will be the time to cash in. I don't think that's now (docbrown would know a heap more than me), but it will be soon. Exciting times.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yep, same happens in Perth for NRL games here, fox or nine source. Company over here to do the filming etc and they just provide commentary. Regardless of which way it is still a cost that would need to be factored in to any return for Optus.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Things like NRL 360,Sterlo, Matty Johns, etc etc, are filmed and produced by Fox. Does anyone know if this counts as contra?

Also, digital rights are going to be interesting. Even more interesting the longer the negotiations get drawn out. I would seriously be tempted to sign a shorter deal of just 2 or 3 years. There is going to be a heap of bidders in the future. Optus is just the tip of it.

Yeh I think it is still too early for Optus or any other online platform to bid seriously this time Around but by the time the next rights come up in 2023 then Internet streaming will be the main source of content delivery to lounge room tv's I reckon. Then gloves will really be off!

Last Week

Bench
Yep, same happens in Perth for NRL games here, fox or nine source. Company over here to do the filming etc and they just provide commentary. Regardless of which way it is still a cost that would need to be factored in to any return for Optus.

The cost for hiring said company for filming and producing the games would be more or less the same for both Fox and Optus. It's really irrelevant for it to need to be factored in too much. The NRL rights, digital or subscription, WILL be bought as a loss leader. Production costs or not. Just like Fox currently are, Optus will find other ways with their business model to make a profit to cover the cost of the rights and production.

siv

First Grade
Yeh I think it is still too early for Optus or any other online platform to bid seriously this time Around but by the time the next rights come up in 2023 then Internet streaming will be the main source of content delivery to lounge room tv's I reckon. Then gloves will really be off!

What is Optus satellite offerings ?

Latest posts