What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Last Week

Bench
Yeh I think it is still too early for Optus or any other online platform to bid seriously this time Around but by the time the next rights come up in 2023 then Internet streaming will be the main source of content delivery to lounge room tv's I reckon. Then gloves will really be off!

"Serious" bidding is open to interpretation. I'd say it's already serious as companies are trying to position themselves for the future. Telstra, News, Optus, etc etc, will bid if they believe it is the right time for the market to be taken advantage of. Considering our pathetic internet speeds and mediocre mobile coverage for most mobile broadcasters, I don't think it's time for it to become mainstream yet. It is getting there, thus value for digital content getting more and more valuable.

Content is king, and everyone will want to have the content as early as possible to start building their base customers.

thorson1987

Coach
News Corp CEO Robert Thomson plays down English Premier League rights loss

News Corporation chief executive Robert Thomson has played down Fox Sports' loss of English Premier League rights to Optus and questioned the value of the world's most famous football league.

Fox Sports, which is owned by News Corp, earlier this week lost the battle for the Australian rights to England's top flight football league.

Optus secured broadcast and digital rights to the Premier League for $US45 million ($63 million) per annum for three years, starting with the 2016-2017 season.

It is understood that the bid was significantly higher than the offer lodged by Fox Sports.
Mr Thomson, commenting during the presentation of News Corp's first-quarter results, defended the decision not to outbid Optus.

"You can buy any right as long as you're prepared to pay any price. But, sometimes, by our reckoning, any price is not appropriate for us or our shareholders," Mr Thomson said.
"There are some EPL fans in Australia, there's no doubt about that, but we're certainly not talking about prime time. The 3pm kickoff in UK is 2am in Australia. "

Fox Sports has been criticised for the loss of the Premier League, although it is not yet known how it will impact subscriber numbers.

"Hardcore fans of anything in Australia are called tragics, but the sweet spot for EPL at 2 in the morning [is]: tragics are insomniacs," Mr Thomson said.

"You might have noticed yesterday, Bayern Munich beat Arsenal 5-1 in the Champions League which may be itself an indictment of the value of the Premier League."

Arsenal is currently tied for first place in the Premier League, while Bayern Munich sits on top of Germany's Bundesliga. Bayern has won the last three Bundesliga titles and has won the league 25 times. It also won the Champions League in 2013.

Hahahaha.

Xl10KVkagvRI7XdRpY0O7bexjN0juCtkY4bOsI8VxbTqax-Kd2IAmIW2JLq-KlQ_ybAyokTL=w245-h200-nc

Dodgy

Juniors
The news of foxtel losing the ell rights is an amazing development for us outsiders. You can come up with all sorts of arguments saying it's not that big a deal. Only this many people subscribe to foxtel because of the epl or whatever.

But make no mistake. Foxtel's epl coverage adds heaps of value to the subscription for fans from both sides of the sporting divide in australia. Not even extensive, commercial free coverage of F1 is enough for a motorsport fan like me to subscribe. If I had it, the epl would be my biggest indulgence.

I fail to see how foxtel won't pay through the roof for the rights. Even the AFL coverage would be in danger if they didn't.

Things like NRL 360,Sterlo, Matty Johns, etc etc, are filmed and produced by Fox. Does anyone know if this counts as contra?

Also, digital rights are going to be interesting. Even more interesting the longer the negotiations get drawn out. I would seriously be tempted to sign a shorter deal of just 2 or 3 years. There is going to be a heap of bidders in the future. Optus is just the tip of it.

I don't think fox want a short deal .
I believe they know the digital future is fast approaching & that's why they locked the aflol in for 6 yrs .
It cost them but it gives them 6 yrs to get their act together to compete with the new comers .
I suspect they will want to sign up the NRL for 5 yrs .
If they want that they can pay up big $$$$ ,just like they did with fumbleball .

insert.pause

First Grade
Telstra ponders Foxtel's future

by Dominic White and Sarah Thompson

It's little surprise that Telstra would be considering the future of its 50 per cent stake in Foxtel, its pay television venture with News Corporation (which owns the other 50 per cent).

As revealed by Street Talk online on Friday, sources are convinced that the telco has been mulling over its options – including a possible exit – as Foxtel faces increasing competition from cheaper rivals such as Netflix.

Telstra's board will well remember the Sensis debacle. Telstra rejected calls to sell the Yellow Pages company in 2006, when it could have got close to $20 billion.

Instead the business was disrupted by the internet, capital markets caved in, and it ended up offloading 70 per cent of Sensis for just $454 million in January 2014 to US private equity firm Platinum Equity.

Direct comparisons between Foxtel and Sensis are harsh.

Foxtel is Australia's most profitable media company, making more than the three times the metropolitan free-to-air television networks combined. It is also managing to grow subscribers, and reduce churn, albeit it at an upfront cost.

But there are clear questions about whether its best growth is behind it as the web alters our viewing habits.

It is believed that News Corp has pre-emptive rights over Telstra's stake, in the event that it actually chose to sell. Another possible option could be for an initial public offering of Telstra's stake.

CBA values Foxtel's equity at $3.6 billion, or 7.5 times the broker's 2016 forecast for earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation of $900 million plus Foxtel's $3.1 billion of debt.

Many wonder why Telstra would sell now. It does not need the money, and if it set Foxtel free, the pay TV giant could become more aggressive with its new broadband offering, potentially damaging Telstra's broadband revenues.

Then there's the knotty matter of HFC and ADSL agreements that could complicate any divestment.

A spokesman for Telstra said: "Foxtel remains an important strategic asset. We have a strong working relationship at the most senior levels with News Corp."

http://www.afr.com/business/media-and-marketing/telstra-ponders-foxtels-future-20151106-gkshq9

Edwahu

Bench
Telstra could dump foxtel, use half the money to pickup the remaining NRL rights exclusive to streaming, and sell the shit out of its broadband and streaming bundles.

insert.pause

First Grade
Davidson singing a very different tune all of a sudden...

Nine and Fairfax spent $100m on Netflix launch
THE AUSTRALIAN NOVEMBER 07, 2015 12:00AM

Darren Davidson

Nine Network and Fairfax Media spent $100 million on the January launch of an online streaming service to rival Netflix. The Walt Disney Company committed $250 million to this year’s Gold Coast shoot for Johnny Depp’s latest adventures as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

All three companies paid high prices but in the ever-more competitive race for quality content, not even these eye-watering budgets can match the soaring cost of live sport.

According to a report by Citi on a major value shift in the media ecosystem, Disney spends more than $US5.4bn ($7.5bn) a year on sports, while 21st Century Fox’s annual outlay is pegged at $US2.9bn.

If proof were needed that the value of sport is reaching bigger and bigger proportions, even after a decade of record TV rights deals, it arrived with a surprise announcement on Monday.

English Premier League football regularly delivers shock results but none so amazing, perhaps, as the sale of its local broadcast and digital rights to Australian telco Optus in an estimated $189m three-year deal.

Despite unfavourable time zones — in the Australian summer months, the major cities of Sydney and Melbourne are at least 11 hours ahead of London — the contract represents a staggering 215 per cent rise on the value of the previous agreement held by News Corp’s sports programming subsidiary Fox Sports.

The magnitude of the contract is just the latest in a series of deals that underline the importance of sports rights to broadcasters grappling with fragmenting television and advertising audiences.

In August, the National Rugby League secured a new free-to-air broadcasting agreement with Nine worth up to $925m. The ink was barely dry on the contract when News Corp, Seven Network and Telstra agreed to fork out $2.508bn on the TV rights for the Australian Football League.

The boom in sports broadcasting rights reflects a change of gear in the media landscape. It’s almost universally accepted that greater numbers of viewers are watching programs on demand via internet-based TV catch-up services and streaming services such as Netflix.

But live sport remains untouchable, and has become a must-buy for advertisers seeking scale, engagement and impact in a splintered marketplace.

In Citi’s US report, The Curtain Falls: How Silicon Valley is Changing Hollywood, the authors underscore the premium value of live sport compared to other forms of programming.

“We know that some types of content — like HBO or the NFL Sunday Ticket — are worth more per minute than typical linear TV. That is, the retail price points for these a la carte channels suggests consumers value a minute of premium content 70 per cent more than average TV content,” the report said. But here’s the kicker: “And, sports content fetches a 280 per cent premium to average TV content.”

The Optus deal has heralded the emergence of a fundamental shift that has been taking place in Europe for several years, but is only now emerging in Australia: growing competition between pay-TV companies and telcos.

In Britain, Sky and BT both offer consumers TV, broadband, and mobile phone plans. For both, sports programming is a loss-leader to sell these other products.

Since BT challenged Sky’s grip on the EPL three years ago, British rights have nearly tripled to an incredible £1.7 bn per season

For Optus, the EPL offers a unique selling point in an increasingly competitive market against Telstra and TPG Telecom for broadband and mobile customers.
“It’s something that my competitor cannot respond to and offer the very next day,” Optus chief executive Allen Lew told The Weekend Australian.

However, News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson noted yesterday that investors may question if sports rights are becoming overpriced. “You can buy any right as long as you’re prepared to pay any price. But, sometimes, by our reckoning, any price is not appropriate for us or our shareholders.”

For free-to-air broadcasters and pay-TV companies, there’s an increasingly tricky balancing act to be struck between profitability and the ability to draw subscribers and attract advertising dollars they wouldn’t otherwise get by charging higher prices for exclusive live sport.

In the short term, broadcasters will remain eager to lock up sports rights on long-term deals. Although Nine boss David Gyngell retained the NRL at a price many in the industry saw as too high, he said he was confident it was the one deal “I’m confident you cannot afford not to have”.

After signing a $900m cheque to retain the AFL’s TV rights, Seven chief Tim Worner declared: “I would much rather have the AFL than have it against us.”

With a bullish Mr Lew eyeing off the NRL’s streaming rights, and perhaps even the TV rights, the cash pouring into sport from media companies and now telcos, shows no signs of letting up.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...n-netflix-launch/story-e6frg996-1227599520443

Johnny88

Juniors
This Robert Thompson guy sounds real cheap I'd be surprised if he still has a job in 12 months.
Telstra sound like they would of like to have done what Optus has just done, is Foxtel holding Telstra back.
Davidson sure has changed his tune no doubt. NRL would love the extra competition around.

Last Week

Bench
I don't think fox want a short deal .
I believe they know the digital future is fast approaching & that's why they locked the aflol in for 6 yrs .
It cost them but it gives them 6 yrs to get their act together to compete with the new comers .
I suspect they will want to sign up the NRL for 5 yrs .
If they want that they can pay up big $$$$ ,just like they did with fumbleball .

I don't mean for the subscription rights, I mean for the digital rights. Separate negotiations ideally, but I think they're being done together because of Telstra owning half of Foxtel with News. I'm certain that Telstra will pay up for digital rights and want them for 5 years, but I can see it being advantageous for the NRL to signing a shorter deal for digital rights only.

Telstra could dump foxtel, use half the money to pickup the remaining NRL rights exclusive to streaming, and sell the shit out of its broadband and streaming bundles.

I would be quite shocked to see this happen anytime in the near future. Once the NBN roll out is complete, there will be more suggestions of Telstra looking to unload Foxtel and go it alone in the digital format. I can see some benefit of it for Telstra too.

Telstra is bringing out it's "Telstra TV". Telstra's pure purpose for Telstra TV is to get the market that doesn't currently get Pay TV, so those that are streaming, and that market is going to continuously grow. If Telstra TV proves to be a success which it should know rather early on, Telstra may just decide to get out of Foxtel. Telstra TV is going to broadcast Netflix, Presto (Foxtel's on demand service) and Stan (owned by Nine and Fairfax, and have the rights to broadcast the 4 FTA matches..)

Telstra do have the AFL digital rights and will likely retain the NRL digital rights, so they have access to the best sporting content in Australia..

I still don't see Telstra selling their share of Foxtel. Even if they did, I'm inclined to think that they won't be a player in sports rights. And none of this will happen until the next deal is being negotiated any way.

Exciting times.

Johnny88

Juniors
Well Optus are doing a good job with sport so far they have Cricket this summer which Optus customers get for free 12 months subscription to watch on pc phone laptop plus the data is free on the phone as well and I'm on a plan less than $20 a month so great value.

Only 2 weeks ago reports were that Optus were talking to A league and Union and Epl for Digital rights so I guess you can add NRL as its still available.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...f-sport-on-tv-isnt-on-tv-20151106-gksjt1.html

The future of sport on TV isn't on TV

Date
November 7, 2015 - 12:15AM

David Ramli and Max Mason

Tuning into sports is a near-ritualistic experience. You rush for the big screen, turn it on to a TV channel and get hit with the pre-game chatter of commentators and pitches from major advertisers.

But in the next few years a subtle shift will sneak into your living room. Rather than start with irrelevant noise, you'll hit a calm landing page on the TV or tablet computer tiled with apps for your favourite sporting codes.

This change means much more than a few seconds of added convenience. It represents one of the biggest waves to crash against the sports, broadcast and telecommunications industries for almost 100 years.

And not everyone will survive the hit intact.

Changing landscape

Optus this week surprised many Australians when it won the exclusive Australian broadcast rights to the Barclays English Premier League – outbidding incumbent sports giant Fox Sports with an offer thought to be well more than $US100 million.

This was the first time in Australian history that a phone and internet provider had bought exclusive sports broadcast rights. And to say it shocked the incumbent players is a dramatic understatement.

"I thought Optus' purchase of the Premier League was one of the more intriguing moves I'd seen in sports rights for quite a long time," ABC managing director Mark Scott tells Fairfax Media.

"I think it clearly brings in more tension around television broadcast rights and I think it all depends on what distribution strategy Optus develops for that content."

Network Ten chief digital officer Rebekah Horne worked with Optus chief executive Allen Lew back when he was spruiking pixelated sports matches on Nokia phones – a product ahead of its time in 2006. She says the latest deal underlines the disruption facing the traditional titans of broadcasting.

"We can't think about our competitors in a traditional sense any more," she says. "Anyone who is able to amass audience and distribute content is a potential competitor in the future.

"It will be interesting to see whether there is a broader play outside of Optus, or whether it's an Optus ring-fenced kind of offering."

But analysts warn that Optus' push is just the start of a fundamental change in the way we get all content. In June the right to broadcast a rare NFL match in London was won by search provider Yahoo!, which beat social media provider Twitter for the rights with a $US17 million bid – a move that attracted more than 15 million viewers.

Fear and opportunity driving change

The two main forces driving this convergence of media, telecommunications and television broadcast players are fear and opportunity.

Telecommunications companies such as Optus and Telstra fear becoming nothing more than the people who sell "dumb-pipe" internet connections. The $56 billion national broadband network aims to get high-speed broadband to everyone by 2020 and telcos must do more to avoid becoming commoditised like gas and electricity providers.

Television broadcasters have long been the gatekeepers for advertisers wanting to reach into Australia's living rooms. Their fear of being bypassed is rapidly being realised thanks to content players such as Netflix delivering movies and top-shelf TV shows on demand over the internet.

Sports codes are addicted to the large amounts of money that locking in TV broadcast rights with the likes of Fox Sports can offer, but they fear losing touch with audiences that want to go online.

The opportunity for everyone is clear; the chance to retain and grow customer numbers while gaining an intimate understanding of viewers using the content they want to watch.

In your future living room, as you watch the Hawthorn Hawks or Parramatta Eels cruise to yet another grand final victory on a smart TV, the content is tailored to your tastes – none of the commentators you despise get air time and replays show the angles that a computer algorithm has decided that you best respond to.

Even the ads that pop up will be tailored to your needs – offers for the holiday destinations you've been searching pop up and never again do they interrupt the key play in a live match.

Future in viewers' hands

TV broadcasters are also using streaming to capture audiences once they leave their homes. Seven began live streaming last week and had more than 300,000 punters watching the Melbourne Cup on their mobile, tablet or desktop.

"It creates a new content moment, which we believe ... is additive to the TV experience because the bulk of those people were on the cellular network, out of home, on a device and importantly, nowhere near a television," Seven West Media chief digital officer Clive Dickens said.

Much of the shift away from the old model of delivering sports is being driven by the codes themselves, which have finally started to realise the true value of their content in a world where news, movies and TV shows can be packaged and streamed by global players with deep pockets.

The United States is seen as sport nirvana by many codes and fans alike. Major League Baseball Advanced Media lets fans worldwide buy digital passes to live matches – bypassing the traditional cable television stations.

The strategy has been so successful that in August the once-unthinkable occurred – America's National Hockey League partnered with the baseball streamer to launch new services with shared revenue. In Australia, this would be like the AFL taking control of the NRL's digital streaming rights.

Cricket seen as a leader

Cricket Australia is recognised as one of the leaders and is changing the way its fans watch matches. Where sports codes traditionally rely on TV stations and telcos to install the required technology, almost three years ago it chose to take control of all digital rights and hired Accenture to build the infrastructure required to stream games online – despite a concurrent deal with TV broadcaster Nine Entertainment.

"When we did the deal there was a little trepidation about what the impact would be on linear broadcasters by having a live stream across all of our platforms," Cricket Australia media, communications and marketing executive general manager Ben Amarfio says.

"But it's actually grown the pie – the ratings for cricket over the journey of this relationship have held up extremely well.

"We get up towards 1.4 million people watching international cricket for large periods of time all through the summer … so there's been no degradation and at the same time we've seen our live app downloaded onto over 2 million devices and a lot of video views."

Optus announced in October it had signed a partnership deal with Cricket Australia that included free live passes for its customers, sponsorship rights and exclusive content.

But Cricket Australia maintained ultimate control over its streams – a key thing that allows it to tailor the content to what the fan base rather than the broadcasters desire. Ultimately, this helps build the code's popularity in time for the looming battle over live-streaming rights.

"Broadcasters are getting into streaming, pay TV companies are getting into broadband and telcos are getting into content so everyone is converging into the middle," he says.

"So there will be media/telco companies who want to scoop up as many rights as possible to make sure they get across as many platforms as possible because they'll want to go where the eyeballs are.

"Sport is still one of the last few bastions able to aggregate large numbers of people … and that's one thing the streamers [like Netflix] are currently not in."

Tech makes it happen

One of the biggest drivers of this push is the rising tide of internet access. Like it or not, the government's NBN project aims to deliver broadband speeds of more than 25 megabits a second to every home and business by 2020.

It's around this point that telcos, content providers and broadcasters will have a genuine ability to switch away from using TV signals and onto internet-enabled streams, which cost less to deliver thanks to fewer signal towers and spectrum costs.

But this will also be the point at which the traditional broadcasters lose a key reason they've traditionally been the gatekeepers to Australian sport. The television of the future probably won't have an antenna at all – every kickoff delivered over broadband speeds thought impossible a mere 10 years ago.

In the new era, however, telcos will hunger for scale and profit margin because the NBN will be their wholesale suppliers of broadband. Premium players such as Telstra and Optus will have to justify why they're more expensive than the TPG Telecoms of the world and they'll use things such as content and customer service to do so.

"Sport today has a lot of traction, especially in a country like Australia, and that's why it's so attractive for some of the providers," Vodafone Hutchison Australia chief executive Inaki Berroeta says.

"It was once carried by single providers but now with the NBN there are other ways of broadcasting it.

"But there are also some of the challenges you see in other markets where the fact that some providers have exclusive rights means customers have to buy multiple platforms if they want to see all the sports."

Telstra stuck in a tough spot

The nation's biggest phone and internet provider, Telstra, is stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one side is its 50 per cent stake in the highly profitable pay-TV provider Foxtel, whose premium margins rely on being the go-to provider of live sports and other content.

But on the other is the NBN churn that could strip Telstra of its vital customers unless it offers users what they want, namely content on demand. Its head of media, Joe Pollard, who previously worked at Nine Entertainment, says the strategy remains one of offering an entry-level service with Telstra TV or its more-expensive Foxtel bundles, which will remain viable thanks to deep pockets.

"I think it'll come down to who is willing to pay for the rights," she says. "At the moment where all of the commercialisation of that content sits well and truly in the free-to-air advertising or pay-TV model.

"It would be very, very difficult to have an at-scale payback on rights on the amount of money that is being paid for in the ... direct-to-consumer model."

Roadblocks ahead

But there remain plenty of cultural, regulatory, technical and financial barriers to the shift taking off. Australia's relatively small population makes it harder for sports codes to reach consumers directly as they have in the US and Europe.

And the anti-siphoning rule, which stipulates that free-to-air broadcasters must get first dibs on certain hugely popular events and matches, could well prevent the TV stations from becoming extinct.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission chairman Rod Sims this week said the rule may need to be reviewed thanks to the rise of online streamers and players such as Optus – a point supported by Seven chief executive Tim Worner.

"The acquisition of sports rights by telcos and others will place pressure on the current anti-siphoning framework, which only covers free-to-air and pay-television broadcasters," Worner says.

"The one thing we do not want in this country is to create a community of haves and have nots, where only those that can afford it can watch the sporting events that up until now have brought the nation together."

Optus will also be forced to spend big on infrastructure if it wants the ability to deliver high-definition football over the internet with data centre upgrades just the tip of the iceberg. Its rights kick off from August 2016 onwards – more than four years before the NBN is due to be completed.

The future is here

None of this is likely to stop the wave.

Monash University's Associate Professor Brett Hutchins, who is halfway through a four-year research project into these specific changes, tells Fairfax Media that the move by Optus caught the dominant players flat-footed.

"Fox Sports no longer has the unquestioned dominance they've long enjoyed ... and they're not accustomed to losing so I'm sure this will shorten them up but it'll also focus their attention," he says.

"There's a tipping point in most markets and they weren't aware the tipping point was already here.

"That has something to do with complacency and the idea that 'the Australia market is so small [the sports codes] will always come to us' but while ever they've got AFL, NRL and some cricket and the A-League as well as super Rugby I think it'd be pretty silly all those sporting organisations want Foxtel to be weakened."

But if Cricket Australia's approach of wooing fans directly takes off, it may be the case that none of the broadcasters gets a choice in the matter.

"Once you build a capability, like [Major League Baseball] have, then one of the benefits you can do is look into other areas and how else you can use it," Amarfio says.

"We're developing capability as well and we've had to because we've had to become content creators that we never were before – we're cricket administrators.

"So down the track we may have to look at how we branch out and leverage ... whatever we become great at."

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Why is australia so anti competitive? Shows how far behind the place is when we only just see now a potential STV competitor and telcos expanding

elbusto

Coach
I suppose the real question at the moment with all of this happening is whether you would want, at this very moment, to be locked into a 6 year contract or surveying these options with an open mind. Looks like we have been very well led by the Commission and Smith. The AFL will be watching all of this with some envy.

Last Week

Bench
"Fox Sports no longer has the unquestioned dominance they've long enjoyed ... and they're not accustomed to losing so I'm sure this will shorten them up but it'll also focus their attention," he says.

"There's a tipping point in most markets and they weren't aware the tipping point was already here."

Dave Smith and our commission are on the ball with our rights. Honestly fantastic. Just wait. The longer we wait, the more this landscape will change as the NBN gets closer to completion.

Of course it makes sense for us to sell 4 FTA games first, we're going to have what we haven't had since the 90's, competition for the Pay TV/digital rights.

elbusto

Coach
Dave Smith and our commission are on the ball with our rights. Honestly fantastic. Just wait. The longer we wait, the more this landscape will change as the NBN gets closer to completion.

Of course it makes sense for us to sell 4 FTA games first, we're going to have what we haven't had since the 90's, competition for the Pay TV/digital rights.

Neanderthals like Wilson and Rothfield look pretty fecking stupid now.

Cletus

First Grade
Neanderthals like Wilson and Rothfield look pretty fecking stupid now.

Funnily enough they seem to have shut up now and so do the negative stories out of the Australian. News really seem to have put themselves in a strange position by insulting Grant and the ARL for so long, I imagine there will be a completely different attitude now that they realise there is some competition.

elbusto

Coach
Funnily enough they seem to have shut up now and so do the negative stories out of the Australian. News really seem to have put themselves in a strange position by insulting Grant and the ARL for so long, I imagine there will be a completely different attitude now that they realise there is some competition.

Agreed. The fact they have gone quiet says a lot. Next 6 months will be interesting. News Limited will have to move to the NRL and not the other way around.

This Television deal could be a ground breaker. If Foxtel loses the NRL it will only have AFL to drive subscriptions and will lose 60% of its top rating programmes in one hit.

Interesting times.

Agreed. The fact they have gone quiet says a lot. Next 6 months will be interesting. News Limited will have to move to the NRL and not the other way around.

This Television deal could be a ground breaker. If Foxtel loses the NRL it will only have AFL to drive subscriptions and will lose 60% of its top rating programmes in one hit.

Interesting times.
Why one part of me wants News to come in with a OTT bid for the remaining game another part of me wants to see them suffer for all things they have said about our game of late by rejecting their overtures and watch their subscriptions go into free fall.
If we do a deal with them i would like part of that deal to be Rothfield and Wilson given the Spanish archer from news.

Latest posts