What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Nine conceding Saturday to Fox just infuriates the f**k out of me. Foxtel wasn't going to be satisfied until the status quo was guaranteed and 60% of the NRL continued to be locked behind a pay wall. I f**king hate them.

NRL finally getting its due in terms of a dedicated channel and HD on Nine are small victories, but I can't help but feel like the game isn't growing as fast as it could be for no other reason than the usual one: corporate greed.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Knowing the location of the strong RL clubs in Melbourne, and where much of the support for Rugby League is drawn from, I would say that 6pm games are just as unfriendly in Melbourne as anywhere else. Inner city Melbourne is not exactly a hotbed of support for the game.

Sorry to say but that's a defeatist attitude. The role of the commission is to grow the game and grow the demographics of support. Targeting the workers/Inner Melbourne types should be a must and hence the Storm would be perfect for a 6pm kickoff. We shouldn't say AFL has the market cornered. More I see there are a lot of unhappy afl people who don't like the way their game is heading.

The Storm already attract a nice portion of fans who follow both codes and those who have switched entirely to the Storm. Its been a hard slog but in reality the NRL have only been doing the right things in this market the last 2-3 years when Nine decided to get off their a#%es and televise the game live on GEM. TV ratings already suggest they have just about caught up with the Swans TV ratings in Sydney and we know how many millions they have poured into the Sydney market for near 3 decades.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ecord-nrl-broadcast-deal-20151127-gl9xck.html

Two hours sleep in three days to meet deadline for record NRL broadcast deal

Date
November 27, 2015 - 5:25PM

Brad Walter

A deadline imposed on News Corp and Telstra to reach agreement with the ARL Commission and Channel Nine this week was the key to the NRL's record $1.8 billion broadcast deal.

Negotiations began several weeks ago after former News Corp chief executive Julian Clarke approached ARL chairman John Grant to reopen talks but stepped up in earnest in recent days after it was decided to bring the parties together in a bid to secure a deal.

With the deadline looming, some members of the large negotiating team managed just two hours sleep in three days before the biggest deal in the game's history was announced at a 1.15pm press conference on Friday at League Central.

"This is a historic day for rugby league," Grant said. "The agreement is worth $1.8 billion to the game and we still have the sale of our international, New Zealand and radio rights to come, so we are poised to secure a package worth well over $1.9 billion when it is finalised."

News and Telstra are paying $1.175 billion for the pay-TV, digital and mobile rights, while Nine's bill from the $925 million free-to-air deal that so upset Rupert Murdoch in August has been reduced by $300 million after the network sold back 21 Saturday night games per year and agreed to allow Fox Sports to simulcast all matches.

Asked about Murdoch's comments at the press conference to announce the AFL's $2.5 billion broadcast deal about how he preferred Australian football, News Corp Australia CEO Peter Tonagh said: "We love the NRL, we love both our children equally."

However, Grant revealed it had taken an approach from Clarke, who was recently succeeded in the role by Tonagh, to get the deal back on track after negotiations stalled over the decision to negotiate the deal with Nine first. "We have had ongoing discussions obviously, but post the Nine deal there was a need for us to get together," Grant said.

"To be very, very frank about it, Julian Clarke reached out to me and we had a discussion about it and we kicked this off. That is being frank and I want to compliment News on taking that step and we have worked extremely constructively through this process."

Optus' purchase of the English Premier League rights increased the pressure on Fox Sports to secure a deal and with the telco expressing interest in the NRL rights, News and Telstra were given a deadline to finalise a deal with Nine and the ARLC.

"We brought the three parties together and put them together in a period of exclusivity to get the deal done," Grant said. "We said 'let's do this and let's do this by a date, and let's get it done'. That is basically what happened. There were moving deadlines as the deal continued to morph, but what we had was a total determination to make sure we finished. I know two of our lawyers have had two hours sleep in three days, but that is the type of intensity this needs."

To get a deal worth 70 per cent more than the current $1.025 billion agreement with Nine, News and Telstra, the ARLC also needed competitive tension and Grant rejected criticism of Smith's handling of negotiations or suggestions it had cost him his job. "What that deal did when it was announced was actually catalysed all of the rest of the parties to where we sit today, so it was a great deal then and a great deal now," Grant said. "Dave Smith did not become collateral damage, Dave Smith resigned. Dave Smith resigned because Dave Smith made the decision that he had done three years and he had contributed as much as he could and he needed to move on. He resigned to me, I know why he resigned, that is why he resigned. I don't think Dave Smith had any negative impact at all on this deal being done. If Dave Smith had still been here he would be sitting next to me at this table."

chigurh

lol at corporate greed. It's called doing your job, and it appears News have done theirs fairly well in this case. Not sure the same can be said for the NRL

Johnny88

Juniors
I said from the start Smith botched the tv deal he sold premium Thurs,Fri Sun arvo and gave 9 a Saturday night game on top. 9 have the best deal they have ripped of the NRL big time. I bet ch7 is paying way more for there AFL deal.
As for the Fri 6pm game as a regional person ill have no problem watching the game live on tv, Fox will be on air at 5pm to after 10pm its great for them selling the beer and gambling ads and keeping leagues fans glued to the telly.
The ratings will be much better than the Sun 6pm slot fox had which was a flop and if enough ppl complain about the 6pm Fri game Fox will simply suggest Monday night footy again? Its brilliant.
Every game live in HD cant beat that especially as a regional viewer.
I love how the big bad NRL took away the 4th fta game of its fans. ha ha Most of you give the NRL to much credit they bluffed and had there hand called.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Asked about Murdoch's comments at the press conference to announce the AFL's $2.5 billion broadcast deal about how he preferred Australian football, News Corp Australia CEO Peter Tonagh said: "We love the NRL, we love both our children equally."

FFS, I want to hurl...

And we're in bed with these merkins until 2022.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What was the point of rushing through a new deal if we get SFA the next two seasons??

Looks like Grant and the ARLC blinked and we got screwed again. I thought we had news where we wanted and should of made them sweat over the new year.

What was the point of rushing through a new deal if we get SFA the next two seasons??

Looks like Grant and the ARLC blinked and we got screwed again. I thought we had news where we wanted and should of made them sweat over the new year.

Typical NRL, any moment of pressure and they fold to News and the media. For such a tough code, it has a soft underbelly constantly rolling over to the media and News time and time again. The 6pm Friday game should of got rejected the moment it was proposed but the $$$$ it all it took for the ARLC to fold.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
http://www.nrl.com/nrl-broadcast-rights-deal-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/91023/default.aspx

"? News Corp Australia will use its local media and newspaper resources to promote the game wherever it is played"

lol like f**k they will

JGrant: "Guys, where was the promotion this week??"
Slothfield: "Hey, if you just have a look youll notice that we brought up a rape allegation from 3 years ago against a 3rd grade player. And we youed the name "NRL" 8 times during the article.
Youre welcome."

DiegoNT

First Grade
Comparing the tv deals of australian sport

Afl- $416m a year
Nrl ($1.8b-2b over 5 years)- $360m-$400m a year
Cricket (fta deal for home international and bbl)- $118m a year
V8 supercars- $40m a year
FFA ( A-league and socceroos)- $40m a year
Super rugby- $40m a year

While we fell just short on the afl, there is daylight between the nrl and the next australian sport

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
So the nrl gets no extra funding for the bringing forward of some of the changes? If so what a massive rort.

The only change that could be argued deserves compensation is the friday 6pm game, and the ARLC have obviously decided it's better than a monday game and it also only comes into effect in the final year of the current deal.

The other changes arguably all benefit the game and they are things we were all crying out for in the last negotiations and whinged when we didn't get it, because it was argued the ARLC wanted the cash instead. We now have it during the life of that same deal and the existing broadcast revenue didn't have to be compromised as a result. It is a win, we weren't ripped off, they could just as easily have kept the status quo for 2 more seasons while we all bitch & moan about how the AFL coverage is superior.

I get people are upset about the friday 6pm game, but the good outweighs the bad.

LESStar58

Referee
Knowing the location of the strong RL clubs in Melbourne, and where much of the support for Rugby League is drawn from, I would say that 6pm games are just as unfriendly in Melbourne as anywhere else. Inner city Melbourne is not exactly a hotbed of support for the game.

Spot on.

LESStar58

Referee

Sorry to say but that's a defeatist attitude. The role of the commission is to grow the game and grow the demographics of support. Targeting the workers/Inner Melbourne types should be a must and hence the Storm would be perfect for a 6pm kickoff. We shouldn't say AFL has the market cornered. More I see there are a lot of unhappy afl people who don't like the way their game is heading.

The Storm already attract a nice portion of fans who follow both codes and those who have switched entirely to the Storm. Its been a hard slog but in reality the NRL have only been doing the right things in this market the last 2-3 years when Nine decided to get off their a#%es and televise the game live on GEM. TV ratings already suggest they have just about caught up with the Swans TV ratings in Sydney and we know how many millions they have poured into the Sydney market for near 3 decades.

Mate, I see where you are coming from but have you ever lived here? Its a lot easier said than done. As for the commision developing the game they have done half of f**k all down here. Clubs (not all but some) struggle for numbers. The grounds are third rate. I don't remember the last time the commision went hat in hand to the Victorian government for funding like the AFL didin NSW and QLD.

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol I hate to say I told you so but....

less $ than AFL
shter KO times for fans
less FTA covg than AFL
No expansion

Once again RL get screws itself

Come on Doc we need that $ per second of gametime break down to make us feel good!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
it's not, it is for 5 years @1.8bn, the financial terms of the current deal will remain until the increased money kicks in for 2018-22. Nine get thursday's, which is why they are giving up simulcasting, fox get fri 6pm, which is why they will give up MNF in 2017.

But simulcasting benefits Fox, not the NRL...

fourplay

Juniors
"The NRL also confirmed the following elements of the new broadcast deal:

• News Corp Australia will use its local media and newspaper resources to promote the game wherever it is played

• And it will use its worldwide resources to take NRL on to the global stage where we believe over time its incredible appeal will see an army of new fans emerge"

Would like to see this, haha.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
"The NRL also confirmed the following elements of the new broadcast deal:

? News Corp Australia will use its local media and newspaper resources to promote the game wherever it is played

? And it will use its worldwide resources to take NRL on to the global stage where we believe over time its incredible appeal will see an army of new fans emerge"

Would like to see this, haha.

The fact that this kind of meaningless filler was prominent in the press release indicates how bereft the deal is.

Latest posts