What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Raiderdave

First Grade
Comparing the tv deals of australian sport

Afl- $416m a year
Nrl ($1.8b-2b over 5 years)- $360m-$400m a year
Cricket (fta deal for home international and bbl)- $118m a year
V8 supercars- $40m a year
FFA ( A-league and socceroos)- $40m a year
Super rugby- $40m a year

While we fell just short on the afl, there is daylight between the nrl and the next australian sport

Did we really fall short ?
Add the first year of our next deal ...470 million or so
& we're at 2.450 Billion
,that's without a 9th game that may still happen around 2020

Meaning an upgrade in this deal to over 2.6 Billion overall.
I don't think it's an apple's for apple's comparison when they have 9 games a week to our 8.

Diesel

Referee
I'm really pissed we lost our 4th FTA game that we were promised and it was tauted at the time being great for all NRL fans... f**king bullshit

So, what happens when the Friday 6pm game rates a 1/4 of what MNF does, whose going to jump up and down about the 6pm game? News will and will want to shift it or at least alternate with a Sunday night game... It'll happen

Hard to see why there is a 6pm game unless NZ is getting a 2nd team

JamesRustle

First Grade
I live in Melbourne and work in the cbd... I'll go to thur and either fri games... earlier one probably better.
I've got foxtel and will most likely watch its simulcast rather than change channel after the first fri and sun games. What do you think your habits will be? I think our laziness will benefit fox.
Now channel 9 has struck themselves a seemingly good deal, hopefully it can afford to pay Rabs a redundancy and get some quality about its commentary and support programs.

Nerd

Bench
On a positive, I think league will pass the AFL when the next deals are done in 2020 or thereabouts. Remember we have given the AFL a free run for near on 20 years due to the super league war and being owned by News. Within a short period we have virtually caught the AFL in terms of the broadcasting deal and finally have large amounts of money to invest into the game which hasn't happened in a long time. League is only currently at half capacity it will grow in the coming years thus increasing it's value. I'm confident we will get past the AFL in the next deal.

Agree. AFL has being throwing money at QLD and NSW for a few years now with very little to show for it. Rugby League on the other hand has held ground with virtually zero spending on all forms of the game below NRL level.

If you were the AFL you would have to be worried with all the millions they've already spent they have 3 basket case expansion teams in Lions, Suns and GWS and a very minimal if any increase in junior numbers. With this new deal their main competitor now has finances to put some funding into junior Rugby League in not only the heartland states but also dare I say it into Victoria itself.

Once the clubs finances are shored up and money starts flowing into juniors I believe the next step is expansion. Surely the NRL will learn from the disaster that is the Suns and GWS and not saturate the market with unwanted teams.

docbrown

Coach
lol I hate to say I told you so but....

schadenfreude
ˈʃɑːd(ə)nˌfrɔɪdə,German ˈʃɑːdənˌfrɔydə/Submit
noun
pleasure derived by someone from another person or group's misfortune.

:lol:

You're the Donald Trump of League Unlimited.

Perth Re tar d said:
No Perth team. NRL shit. Me smart.

Whinging about the same crap over and over in the most boring way does not make you a psychic. It makes you an asshole. :lol:

Last edited:

j5o6hn

Juniors
One must assume that the denizens of Big Poofy are spinning this to the AFL advantage for all they are worth, there not that much difference money wise and we really do need teams in WA and QLD NZ Pacific Islands later
Wonder how the Rugger buggers are going they must be in shock Bandana boy will be interesting to read,as for Smith he was done in by NEWS and a bunch of greedy clubs you cant fix 35 yrs of neglect and greed in 3yrs they are to stupid to understand that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Come on doc where's the spin? Where's the $'s per minute per game or what ever BS you want to call to justify the fact we got less than afl again despite being more popular? Sycophants like you are why the game is still a tiny sport in the world with 99% of the world not knowing the difference between Union and league.

What's funny as f**k is for weeks you've been dissing the Fox News reporting yet it was all true and on the mark, how faking stupid do you feel mr media guru?

docbrown

Coach
Come on doc where's the spin? Where's the $'s per minute per game or what ever BS you want to call to justify the fact we got less than afl again despite being more popular?

Unlike your endless mire of wrist slitting drivel I said from the beginning I'd judge the deal on its merits once it was concluded. Before you even brainfarted a response, earlier this afternoon shortly after the press conference ended I listed on here what I considered to be the pros and cons and even said for what was given away the NRL haven't received sufficient financial reward.

Sycophants like you are why the game is still a tiny sport in the world with 99% of the world not knowing the difference between Union and league.

I would say this comment of yours is one of the stupidest statements you've ever posted on here but the competition from your other f**ktard ramblings is pretty stiff.

What's funny as f**k is for weeks you've been dissing the Fox News reporting yet it was all true and on the mark

Like News Corp's Rothfield surething $1.7 billion deal? Or Boubon Bec's $300 million bonus for 2016 & 2017? Or the fact that they were all blindsided by the Channel 9 deal?

You are f**ked in the head. :lol:

applesauce

Bench
"The NRL also confirmed the following elements of the new broadcast deal:

? News Corp Australia will use its local media and newspaper resources to promote the game wherever it is played

? And it will use its worldwide resources to take NRL on to the global stage where we believe over time its incredible appeal will see an army of new fans emerge"

Would like to see this, haha.

I'll just tune into the CH9 rugby league show televised on channel99 each night to see how this is going. :sarcasm:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Considering all of the half-formed details coming out ATM, the only way i can consider this a decent deal is if there is that extra $300m over next 2 years and if the early Friday game is played exclusively in NZ..

I know the Warriors would love the local exposure of the prime time slot (and a NZ2 team would benefit massively from this as well). But if teams in Australia are forced to host these then JGrant quite obviously has taken the fist right up to the shoulder...

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Murdoch: "meet our deadline or you get NOTHING!!!"
JGrant: "Yes, sir."
The article says the NRL imposed the deadline on news. If grant rushed it to save his job because of politis and co applying pressure then all of them should go neck themselves.

taipan

Referee
Didn't the article also state that News honcho approached Grant,in order to get negotiations started again.
Seems to me the News mob were getting cold feet.Also the admission by News that Optus had put in a bid.

Grant doesn't exactly grow on me with the charisma of a road killed wombat,but I think News were the more desperate to get things moving.And yes possibly the clubs such as politics,Dib et al.
If the clubs are satisfied then it is a good deal,if not the shyte will hit the fan.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unlike your endless mire of wrist slitting drivel I said from the beginning I'd judge the deal on its merits once it was concluded. Before you even brainfarted a response, earlier this afternoon shortly after the press conference ended I listed on here what I considered to be the pros and cons and even said for what was given away the NRL haven't received sufficient financial reward.

I would say this comment of yours is one of the stupidest statements you've ever posted on here but the competition from your other f**ktard ramblings is pretty stiff.

Like News Corp's Rothfield surething $1.7 billion deal? Or Boubon Bec's $300 million bonus for 2016 & 2017? Or the fact that they were all blindsided by the Channel 9 deal?

You are f**ked in the head. :lol:
:roll:

El Diablo

Post Whore
The article says the NRL imposed the deadline on news. If grant rushed it to save his job because of politis and co applying pressure then all of them should go neck themselves.

dickheads like Politis should be pissed off from the game

only interested in getting money for their clubs and want no expansion at all

they also meddle with the ARLC with stupid threats

the sooner wankers like him kick the bucket the better

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a reason Telstra paid $150mill for NRL and $250mill for afl, and it's got a shed load to do with the perception of being the national code imp. Your kidding yourself if you think it doesn't matter and in the future the two codes will remain equal forever more in their geographic strongholds. There is a war going on to be the nations main footy code, sadly NRL is playing a 20 year catch up and shows little sign they want to take the fight to the afl anytime soon.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clubs will always be self interested above and beyond anything else. It's why you need a arlc that won't buckle to them and continue to do what's best for the game as a whole. Sadly this deal and the way it has rolled out would suggest we are still a ways of getting people on the arlc with the balls to do this.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Hahah...

Shows how bad your comprehention skills can become when youre annoyed and a bit drunk.

(note to self: "on" =/= "by") :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Latest posts