What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

applesauce

Bench
The AFL deal starts a year earlier too. So a year of $417million while the NRL has its final year of the current contract for what in comparison is a poultry $200million. Then for the subsequent 5 years we are about $37million dollars behind each year (assuming we get $1.9billion with international).

From 2017-22 we are around $385 million dollars behind the AFL. Is that something I could interest you in?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The AFL deal starts a year earlier too. So a year of $417million while the NRL has its final year of the current contract for what in comparison is a poultry $200million. Then for the subsequent 5 years we are about $37million dollars behind each year (assuming we get $1.9billion with international).

From 2017-22 we are around $385 million dollars behind the AFL. Is that something I could interest you in?
Edit

Last Week

Bench
I'm really pissed we lost our 4th FTA game that we were promised and it was tauted at the time being great for all NRL fans... f**king bullshit

This is it people. This is the PR failure that the Commission have done.

You cannot under any circumstances let your customers believe one thing that they are getting and then take it back, without expecting back lash. And there should be back lash on this.

BlueandGold

Juniors
If you consider per hour of football? Lol. We got significantly less total cash from its Australian rights despite being the most popular sport, got to love spin

NRL $1.745 billion (-$50million value of naming rights)
AFL $2.08billion

How can you say nearly $400mill price difference is as good a deal?

Are you mental

NRL FOX/FTA/TELSTRA 1.8billion
AFL FOX/FTA/ TELSTRA 2billion

Do you honestly think the 6th year of the AFL deal is worth the same as the first 5 years being that its in a new cycle?

Get a grip you merkin.

AFL all done at 2billion over 5 years
NRL 1.8billion with International and NZ rights to go.

Very similar deals only difference is Fox are spending a motza on FOX NRL to help produce content.

This deal is looking decent.

Also how much is contra, no mention of that in the announcement....;-)

If Contra is non existent then the NRL is cheering.

To much detail left out to make a real comparison.

Brutus

Referee
So basically all that shit that News Ltd revealed a couple of weeks ago came true.

The 6pm fri night game, the 1.8 billion.

John Grant - you are as weak as piss.

We needed David Smith to stay on.

Brutus

Referee
dickheads like Politis should be pissed off from the game

only interested in getting money for their clubs and want no expansion at all

they also meddle with the ARLC with stupid threats

the sooner wankers like him kick the bucket the better

Agree.

siv

First Grade
One thing that I see is the need to split out a few things when negotiating tv rights

- Domestic rep games including SOO needs to be standalone

- streaming rights needs to be sold standalone

- naming rights needs to be sold standalone

- internationak RL fixtures need to be sold as package standalone

bobmar28

Bench
6pm Friday shouldn't of being approved, weak NRL bowing down to News like that after Smith left. Damnit, News got there way again, should of went Thursday, Friday (9 & GEM 7.30pm), Super Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

I don't know if you have noticed but Gem is now 9HD.

BuffaloRules

Coach
So basically all that shit that News Ltd revealed a couple of weeks ago came true.

The 6pm fri night game, the 1.8 billion.

John Grant - you are as weak as piss.

We needed David Smith to stay on.

Can we please move on from Smith?

The deal he did with Gyngell has turned out to be a stinker- gave away Origin and the digital rights for the Nine games for nothing...

Heritage XIII

Juniors
The Australia article broke down the figures as News $1 billion, Telstra $175 million (digital only) & Nine $625 million, so with Intl & NZ, naming rights (figure not revealed, & even AFL don't disclose that figure), we are about 2 billion over 5 years. Good deal considering we have less games, shorter games & are not fully national. So calm down everyone and stop complicating things.

Yes agree .
I for one look at where we were 5 yrs ago .
86 mill a yr .
Gallop in charge .
Live games on FTA.LOL

Get a grip .
There's good & bad in most deals .

I bet when we get near seasons end & interest in finals is high ,people will be raving about the extra FTA game .

If you've ever sat in on negotiations for business etc ..there's give & take .
You don't get everything your own way .

bobmar28

Bench
I'd say channel 9 stuck firm their Thursday night, monday night means nrl across 5 deals and makes its harder to reduce the number of times teams have a 5 day turn around so fox compromised with a Friday arvo game. Friday arvo game will probably ne similar to monday night, good for tv, shit house for fans to attend to

How about letting fans in for free on Fridays.

Last edited:

flamin

Juniors
Yes agree .
I for one look at where we were 5 yrs ago .
86 mill a yr .
Gallop in charge .
Live games on FTA.LOL

Get a grip .
There's good & bad in most deals .

I bet when we get near seasons end & interest in finals is high ,people will be raving about the extra FTA game .

If you've ever sat in on negotiations for business etc ..there's give & take .
You don't get everything your own way .

Yep. Can you believe that just 3 seasons ago the NRL earnt $83 million a year from tv rights? While the AFL earnt more than $220 million? :crazy:

Hahaha the circle is crumbling.

There's still a few hardcore handshandyists clinging to their love of the suits, but the incomepetance, lying and spin is catching up with them and people are waking up.

But but but gallop...

Latest posts