What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

BlueandGold

Juniors
So we get $1.745B and all the shit surrounding it and some people are happy?

Sure we will probably get another 100-150m more but how shit is that when we are the number one overall sport in the country. Just like I and a few others predicted all along.

The ARLC is a JOKE! We will never, I repeat, never surpass the AFL, just like Cronulla will never, ever win a premiership.

Oh and fancy not bringing in Perth and second Brisbane teams, to quash any NEWS Corp crap about apples and oranges, during negotiations.

Totally piss weak admin that will never, ever get it right. Like waiting for Harald Holt.

I've given up, I mean why not, the ARLC, aren't even trying.

The 6th year of the AFL deal is worth about 460m for that year alone, 6th year for digital is maybe worth about 40million.

AFL 5 year deal is worth about 2billion.

NRL 1.8billion with NZ and international to go.

These deal are very comparable and i dare say if the NRL went for a 6th year with FOX/FTA/Digital than our deal would probably be identical.

To get the money the AFL did they had to commit to a extra year.

This deal is a good result for the game imo.

All in all David Smith undersold our FTA portion of the Tv deal so i think all the commissioners have a little to answer for there.

And last but not least, David Gygel is a genius.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Just curious, how much do you think ch9 are forking for the SOO in this new deal?

Well they are paying 625 million for 5 years.
With 20 week season (2/3) of what they currently have now and no origin you'd expect that to drop by about half.
So maybe 9 will pay about 300m less for your proposal.
That's $60m a season
That's more then the aru, ffa and v8 supercars get for their whole rights.

I have Foxtel and Telstra cable. Putting aside the value of the deal to the NRL (and I think that the game is going to be on a great financial footing), here's what I think of the deal from a purely selfish perspective.

- every game on Fox ad free. I love this! Nien's commentary team shit me at the best of times. Losing them and ads will be fantastic
- Thursday night game. Ho hum. I don't really like the Thursday game. No convenient for me to watch at home or at the ground. Not happy with this.
- Two Friday night games - love it. I am loving the prospect of having "Super Friday", first game probably in the background unless it is a team I like and the main game after that. This is great. And for all of the handwringing, many of these games are going to be in NZ which will put it on at a great time there. From the press it looks like Brisbane can't host a 6pm Friday game which is a shame. This would be very kid friendly for me - far better than an 8pm kick off.
- Super Saturday. Always love this. Would be good to have some detail over what will replace the NYC. Fox's line up of NYC, NSW Cup then NRL has been great. I wouldn't really mind if there was going to be NSW/Qld Cup on Saturday/Sunday in addition to Nein's Qld Cup game. Shame there is no more detail about this out there.
- Telstra TV. I read somewhere that there will be NRL highlights and replays on Telstra TV. I have just got one of these (very easy for kids/wife to use) and would welcome NRL content on it. Yet another easy way to get footy, and probably dips the NRL's toe into digital distribution which I can imagine will be much more mature in 6 years time when we are looking at the next rights deal. Won't happen but it would be great to see them experiment with a live game (QCup or NSW Cup or the like) on Telstra TV to see how it is handled from an infrastructure perspective/gauge interest etc.
- Expansion - I am sure I read somewhere that if we expand that Brisbane is slated in the agreement somewhere as team 17. Bring it on. This is another great thing.

As me, as opposed to fantasies in which the NRL is worth 3 billion or whatever, this deal will improve my footy watching, so I am happy.

As for the game, it is going to have a lot more money rolling around in it, so I am happy.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
You're a f**king idiot.

The old ARL had a 22 week season, city/country, origin, three test series mid year, end of year tours and world cups and a proper WORLD sevens (not bullshit NRL clubs only).

You make baseless shit up about no origin and less money and therefore no expansion and no grassroots money - THERE'S NO EXPANSION OR GRASSROOTS FUNDING NOW. These dickheads are neither growing the sport nor supporting its heartlands despite all this cash they keep talking about.

If you think this sport will grow and survive by playing club games all year and not expanding or supporting international football thank god you're not running the game because it would go nowhere. Oh that's right its going nowhere anyway because we have suits running the game who have the same geniused attitude.

Well that old arl season sounds perfect. Where did it all go wrong?
They didn't maximise all their potential so a bunch of clubs and players jumped when a tv company offered them more money. They didn't have the balance right

TheRam

Coach
Just on the extra game that the AFL have compared to the NRL.

Well add it in for F**K sake!

How hard is it???

The AFL have 4 teams in non heartland territories and we barely have one and all we get are excuses as to why we can't have more while the AFL make massive $$$ and add more young fans to their growing base of supporters annually.

Yeah we are in great hands and doing just fine. What a leading and progressive sport.

BlueandGold

Juniors

How hard is it???

The AFL have 4 teams in non heartland territories and we barely have one and all we get are excuses as to why we can't have more while the AFL make massive $$$ and add more young fans to their growing base of supporters annually.

Yeah we are in great hands and doing just fine. What a leading and progressive sport.

Those 2 teams lost the AFL all of the 200million they set aside for expansion.

Those sides will loose the same amount this cycle.

Now when you factor in these losses there tv deal does not look so good does it.

DiegoNT

First Grade

How hard is it???

Except that 3 of those clubs are costing afl money over fist. (Brisbane, gc and suns)
With so much focus on those 3 clubs, other struggling clubs (demons, western bulldogs etc) aren't getting the help needed

Well that old arl season sounds perfect. Where did it all go wrong?
They didn't maximise all their potential so a bunch of clubs and players jumped when a tv company offered them more money. They didn't have the balance right

Bullshit.

And if you think this current admin is "maximising the potential" of this sport by ignoring everything except one elite club competition you really have no f**king idea.

The fact is super league actually promised to grow the sport internationally. It did more than this current bunch of geniuss and it was just a news ltd front. Super league actually started the Anzac test that this mob has just scrapped (without even consulting or informing the nzrl). They also had another trans Tasman test at the end of the year, a three test ashes series and a world nines (not a club comp). So in one year news ltd did more internationally than this bunch of clowns have done this year and next put together. If that doesn't sum up the neglect and incompetence of these suits I don't know what does.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Bullshit.

And if you think this current admin is "maximising the potential" of this sport by ignoring everything except one elite club competition you really have no f**king idea.

The fact is super league actually promised to grow the sport internationally. It did more than this current bunch of geniuss and it was just a news ltd front. Super league actually started the Anzac test that this mob has just scrapped (without even consulting or informing the nzrl). They also had another trans Tasman test at the end of the year, a three test ashes series and a world nines (not a club comp). So in one year news ltd did more internationally than this bunch of clowns have done this year and next put together. If that doesn't sum up the neglect and incompetence of these suits I don't know what does.

Well then why did super league fail if it had all this successful components?

You mentioned the old arl season as your perfect balance seasoned and on terms of balancing a domestic season with rep football it was pretty good. But to get that balance they had to knock back news ltd and all the money they were offering. A number of clubs were unhappy with the way the arl was run and worried about staying afloat with not much money coming from the arl and the possibility of expansion hurting them and affecting their business., players were under payed, many still had outside jobs deep into the 90s the game was still a bit off being completely professional. This in-balance allowed the chance for super league to come about and effectively finish your perfectly balanced seasoned.
You say super-league had vision to expand the international game, and mention what they did for the benefit of the international game, so why did super league fail? Maybe because the super league domestic comp was weak, interest in the comp was low and it was losing money. So without a strong domestic comp, super league weren't able to deliver on their vision and promises they made to the international game. This led directly to the forming of the nrl, and it's been a balancing act ever since.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Bullshit.

Calm down.

Now with the above, after Super League the peace deal ensured we were with a newltd subscription TV service, the CEO was newsltd appointed so it is a bit harsh to say the administration after the super league peace deal relegated intl football. Newsltd, administratively, have only been out of the game in a short period. Many fans were delighted the ANZAC test is gone. It was on the whole lopsided in Australia's favour and interest waned. In the last few years we have seen some of the best international footy we've had in a long time-4Nations (the rise of Fiji, Samoa), RLWC, & now talk of reintroduction of Kangaroo tours & a world nines, category 3 status in the Commonwealth games & many group global comps for world cup qualification. Now if newsltd have promised more global development of RL then instead of watching often poor online broadcast of, for example, the Americas RLWC qualifiers in early December, we will see proper broadcast of these qualifiers in the not too distant future. We shall see who keeps their promises?

Well then why did super league fail if it had all this successful components?

You mentioned the old arl season as your perfect balance seasoned and on terms of balancing a domestic season with rep football it was pretty good. But to get that balance they had to knock back news ltd and all the money they were offering. A number of clubs were unhappy with the way the arl was run and worried about staying afloat with not much money coming from the arl and the possibility of expansion hurting them and affecting their business., players were under payed, many still had outside jobs deep into the 90s the game was still a bit off being completely professional. This in-balance allowed the chance for super league to come about and effectively finish your perfectly balanced seasoned.
You say super-league had vision to expand the international game, and mention what they did for the benefit of the international game, so why did super league fail? Maybe because the super league domestic comp was weak, interest in the comp was low and it was losing money. So without a strong domestic comp, super league weren't able to deliver on their vision and promises they made to the international game. This led directly to the forming of the nrl, and it's been a balancing act ever since.

Super league didnt fail you moron.

Super league was about news ltd getting the paytv rights. It succeeded.

The fact this company was able to deliver more international football than this magical billion dollar "rugby league" organisation we have now says it all.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
You're a f**king idiot.

The old ARL had a 22 week season, city/country, origin, three test series mid year, end of year tours and world cups and a proper WORLD sevens (not bullshit NRL clubs only).

You make baseless shit up about no origin and less money and therefore no expansion and no grassroots money - THERE'S NO EXPANSION OR GRASSROOTS FUNDING NOW. These dickheads are neither growing the sport nor supporting its heartlands despite all this cash they keep talking about.

If you think this sport will grow and survive by playing club games all year and not expanding or supporting international football thank god you're not running the game because it would go nowhere. Oh that's right its going nowhere anyway because we have suits running the game who have the same geniused attitude.

ECT. The game had massive governance, financial and structural issues pre ARLC amd pre the current rights cycle. The $1.025b was about atabilising the codes coffers and making the game sustainable as well as boosting player payments. While its obviously not enough the state bodies including the CRL did get an increase in their central funding since 2013, how they used that increase was up to them. Grant has said repeatedly that tbey know further and dramatic increases are required so just be patient and calm down a bit

While a disagree with elements of the deal just struck i am happy with the value attained, in fact for a game almost entirely played in 2 states we have done fantasically well to be in the same ball park as the afl with multiple teams in most capital cities, an additional game and more space for advertising during their game.

Now the game has the means to bettee fund grassroots, expand the elite competitions and give the players/clubs the money they need

Calm down.

Now with the above, after Super League the peace deal ensured we were with a newltd subscription TV service, the CEO was newsltd appointed so it is a bit harsh to say the administration after the super league peace deal relegated intl football. Newsltd, administratively, have only been out of the game in a short period. Many fans were delighted the ANZAC test is gone. It was on the whole lopsided in Australia's favour and interest waned. In the last few years we have seen some of the best international footy we've had in a long time-4Nations (the rise of Fiji, Samoa), RLWC, & now talk of reintroduction of Kangaroo tours & a world nines, category 3 status in the Commonwealth games & many group global comps for world cup qualification. Now if newsltd have promised more global development of RL then instead of watching often poor online broadcast of, for example, the Americas RLWC qualifiers in early December, we will see proper broadcast of these qualifiers in the not too distant future. We shall see who keeps their promises?
None of that has anything to do with the issue at hand except the bullshit abouy people wanting them to kill the Anzac test.

LESS people in this country will see international football in the future as a result. AND we will never see an injury free full strength kangaroos team again because they will only play in the off season. They have completely undermined and weakened international football and the kangaroo brand and couldn't care less.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Super league didnt fail you moron.

Super league was about news ltd getting the paytv rights. It succeeded.

The fact this company was able to deliver more international football than this magical billion dollar "rugby league" organisation we have now says it all.

Super league didn't fail?
Well then why did they have to agree to a hastly put together peace deal with the arl?
Wouldn't it of been cheaper for news ltd to run their own league then it would to have to do deals with the arl? They certainly wouldn't be paying a $1.8b tv deal if they were a success?

TheRam

Coach
Those 2 teams lost the AFL all of the 200million they set aside for expansion.

Those sides will loose the same amount this cycle.

Now when you factor in these losses there tv deal does not look so good does it.

Yes it does, because unlike the NRL, the AFL have a long term 30+ year outlook on grabbing the hearts and minds of the youth. So you say lost $$$, they say $$$ well spent on the future growth of their game.

Except that 3 of those clubs are costing afl money over fist. (Brisbane, gc and suns)
With so much focus on those 3 clubs, other struggling clubs (demons, western bulldogs etc) aren't getting the help needed

Think of it this way, the powers that be at the AFL, privately could not give a toss if 2 or 3 of their local teams in their heartland struggled or even died. They are heartland heavy, in this regard just like the NRL. I'm even of the opinion, that they may actually welcome a team or two biting the dust.

But either way, it is overall irrelevant to the big picture, they are growing the pie with each year that passes in all frontiers.

We on the other hand are not and just treading water or going backwards as our ratings and attendances has shown this year.

Also, I am not suggesting we go to alien outposts for these new teams. One should be in Brisbane and the other Perth, which may not be a heartland region, but hardly as alien as say Melbourne. They already have significant junior inferstructures in place and I believe would in a fairly short space of time(10 years) eclipse Melbourne's contribution on most levels if not all.

To ignore expansion is totally fool hardy and playing into the Networks and AFL hands and pandering only to our NRL clubs selfish motives.

ECT. The game had massive governance, financial and structural issues pre ARLC amd pre the current rights cycle. The $1.025b was about atabilising the codes coffers and making the game sustainable as well as boosting player payments. While its obviously not enough the state bodies including the CRL did get an increase in their central funding since 2013, how they used that increase was up to them. Grant has said repeatedly that tbey know further and dramatic increases are required so just be patient and calm down a bit

While a disagree with elements of the deal just struck i am happy with the value attained, in fact for a game almost entirely played in 2 states we have done fantasically well to be in the same ball park as the afl with multiple teams in most capital cities, an additional game and more space for advertising during their game.

Now the game has the means to bettee fund grassroots, expand the elite competitions and give the players/clubs the money they need
Theyve had the means to do a lot of things for a long time and theyve paid lip service to grassroots and international football throughout. End result - less exposure for both the kangaroos and crl and less means for the crl and nzrl to actually make money for themselves. And we keep hearing the excuse that the vfl gets more money because it is a bigger comp - whose f**king fault is that?

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yes it does, because unlike the NRL, the AFL have a long term 30+ year outlook on grabbing the hearts and minds of the youth. So you say lost $$$, they say $$$ well spent on the future growth of their game.

Think of it this way, the powers that be at the AFL, privately could not give a toss if 2 or 3 of their local teams in their heartland struggled or even died. They are heartland heavy, in this regard just like the NRL. I'm even of the opinion, that they may actually welcome a team or two biting the dust.

But either way, it is overall irrelevant to the big picture, they are growing the pie with each year that passes in all frontiers.

We on the other hand are not and just treading water or going backwards as our ratings and attendances has shown this year.

Also, I am not suggesting we go to alien outposts for these new teams. One should be in Brisbane and the other Perth, which may not be a heartland region, but hardly as alien as say Melbourne. They already have significant junior inferstructures in place and I believe would in a fairly short space of time(10 years) eclipse Melbourne's contribution on most levels if not all.

To ignore expansion is totally fool hardy and playing into the Networks and AFL hands and pandering only to our NRL clubs selfish motives.

So if western bulldogs and demons fail and fold because of lack of support that drops the afl down to 16 clubs. They also lose the fans of those clubs. Afl fans are pretty passionate, those fans aren't exactly going to start supporting other clubs. Even if those 2 clubs fold it isn't going to help the 3 struggling expansion clubs. So even after losing 2 traditional clubs the afl would be in danger of losing the suns, gws and lions.

Latest posts