What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
Not according to this dckhead

News Corp is understood to be paying about $920 million for the Fox Sports rights over five years, from 2018 onwards, Telstra about $200 million for digital rights and Nine Entertainment Co about $625 million. Each of the three companies will share various digital rights on a non-exclusive basis.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/ne...#ixzz3slF8lWOK
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Wit naming rights value is $1.745billion. Take out the value of naming rights and your down to australian tv's and digital rights being $1.695bill.

Glad your happy with this compared to the $2billion afl deal plus at least $50mill naming rights value. But they've got A ninth game lol.

That's just $'s, chuck in the less fta than promised, sht game times and no expansion and it's a lame duck. Only the significant overall increase in money compared to previous deals saves it from being a debacle. No wonder Smith walked, he probably saw this coming and didn't want anything to do with it.

i think News have more of an idea of how much they're paying as the AFR says "it is understood"

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-winner-for-fans/story-fni3fbgz-1227624510334

the television company outlaid $1.175 billion for the pay TV broadcast rights from 2018 to 2022.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Not according to this dckhead

News Corp is understood to be paying about $920 million for the Fox Sports rights over five years, from 2018 onwards, Telstra about $200 million for digital rights and Nine Entertainment Co about $625 million. Each of the three companies will share various digital rights on a non-exclusive basis.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/ne...#ixzz3slF8lWOK
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Wit naming rights value is $1.745billion. Take out the value of naming rights and your down to australian tv's and digital rights being $1.695bill.

Glad your happy with this compared to the $2billion afl deal plus at least $50mill naming rights value. But they've got A ninth game lol.

That's just $'s, chuck in the less fta than promised, sht game times and no expansion and it's a lame duck. Only the significant overall increase in money compared to previous deals saves it from being a debacle. No wonder Smith walked, he probably saw this coming and didn't want anything to do with it.

yeah
that dickheads wrong
like you

1.8 Billion
International rights & radio push it to 2 Billion give or take
now either take off the AFL's 6th year .. or add the next year of our next deal
& we're on par in $$ terms

but we play less games
have less time on air so can't sell as much advertising
have no teams in 2 state capitals
have 16 teams to finance to the AFLs 18

have 480 players to pay
to the AFLs 720

tell me spaz
who did better ?

If anybody doesn't believe this is a good deal overall for the NRL you only have to read and hear the fear from fans of the imported game from England and Ireland.
They haven't got anywhere to go. They have reached their full potential.
They can't afford to prop up any more clubs to the tune of $20 million a year and that will only increase.
Why the NRL and Rugby League as a whole has years of growth ahead, here in Australia, plus another NZ team, plus as well the PIs.
Fumbelball fans best enjoy the next 5 years because after that its down hill.
Happy days ahead for Rugby League, but for the Anglo-Irish game is downhill.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It shouldn't be up to the fans to make excuses why this deal is less than the AFL's deal, even if they have an extra year and an extra game. It should be the NRL's job to sell this deal to us.

The NRL originally had four FTA games on the table as a big win for fans, then they took it away.

If that doesn't tell you that things didn't go our way during the recent negotiations then I don't what will convince some of you. We got f**ked, Murdoch won again. Truth hurts sometimes.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It shouldn't be up to the fans to make excuses why this deal is less than the AFL's deal, even if they have an extra year and an extra game. It should be the NRL's job to sell this deal to us.

The NRL originally had four FTA games on the table as a big win for fans, then they took it away.

If that doesn't tell you that things didn't go our way during the recent negotiations then I don't what will convince some of you. We got f**ked, Murdoch won again. Truth hurts sometimes.

we didn't get f**ked

Starkers

Bench
I think overall it's a good deal, not a great one. Oddly the expectations set by the initial FTA contract were so high, and the reaction function of News so left field, that in hindsight the second part was always going to be difficult.

The worst outcome is undoubtedly the loss of Dave Smith. There are still things to fix in the game - Cap, Draft, TPA's - but his impact has been enormous. People will always complain, but News no longer controls the game.

And this deal is proof. The winding back of one FTA is a loss as well. To balance, the incremental changes in this deal are what will make the next one even better. Just like the F&L rights removal assisted in this deal. Since the inception of the Commish in Feb 2012 they have done two huge TV deals in the space of 3.5 years the likes of which have never been seen in our game.

2016 will be a tough sell in some ways with 5 days a week. But from 2017 with one round less, a better and fairer Origin period, a growing cap, a stable comp - all things are pointing up.

In Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne if you are a 'rugby' oriented athlete the choice is clear - you will have better prospects and pay in the NRL even if your desire is to play union. We will see the best athletes come through and will have the most money available to retain them.

And this is all before expansion to WA or SA in Australia. The 6pm slot might seem a bit odd now, but it's an obvious spot for the Warriors and offers potential to expand into Wellington down the track.

Here's hoping the Commish remains independent, appoints a CEO who is his own man and doesn't revert to guys of Gyngell's ilk who are only in it for self serving purposes.

beave

Coach
Im not trying to be chicken little here but the whole 'we have less games than the AFL per week' is pretty moot when they have 23rds and us 26. This season there was 206 AFL games to our 201. Plus we have the Auckland 9's weekend thrown in the mix. The pay TV component seems to be similar to the AFL but its the FTA component I am a little disappointed in $$$$$ wise. Getting origin, 3 NRL games a week, finals and GF for $600 odd mil? I dunno, does anyone think they should have been paying a bit more than that? Not even taking into consideration those last 6 rounds they will be also be getting a saturday night game. I honestly feel the ARLC should have just waited a year and then hit the negotiation tables. This just all seems a little self serving by the ARLC board in shutting up the clubs to keep their jobs.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Of course there's a pissing contest with the afl, and we did fall short, but it's still a comparable deal no matter how you look at it.
If afl's 418m per year deal is %100 then
-NRL-s 380-400m per year deal is 90.9%-95.7% of that
-cricket australia 118m per year deal is 28.2% of that
-ARU's, FFA's and v8 supercars 40m per year's deals are 9.5% of what the afl recieve

- Two Friday night games - love it. I am loving the prospect of having "Super Friday", first game probably in the background unless it is a team I like and the main game after that. This is great. And for all of the handwringing, many of these games are going to be in NZ which will put it on at a great time there. From the press it looks like Brisbane can't host a 6pm Friday game which is a shame. This would be very kid friendly for me - far better than an 8pm kick off.

Thing is, the Warriors only have 12 home games. So, does that mean they get every home game on a Friday night with a 6pm (AEST) kick-off? What do you do for the remaining rounds?

That is the big issue. It will make a negative impact on crowds, and TV ratings for a game starting at 6pm?! Many regular league watchers are still travelling home from work at that time. The ratings will nose dive compared to Monday nights.

Also 8.00 pm is not eliminated on Fridays either. In fact you ensure the 2nd Friday game will start at 8.00 pm, of not later.

That is why this time slot just makes no sense.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Im not trying to be chicken little here but the whole 'we have less games than the AFL per week' is pretty moot when they have 23rds and us 26. This season there was 206 AFL games to our 201. Plus we have the Auckland 9's weekend thrown in the mix. The pay TV component seems to be similar to the AFL but its the FTA component I am a little disappointed in $$$$$ wise. Getting origin, 3 NRL games a week, finals and GF for $600 odd mil? I dunno, does anyone think they should have been paying a bit more than that? Not even taking into consideration those last 6 rounds they will be also be getting a saturday night game. I honestly feel the ARLC should have just waited a year and then hit the negotiation tables. This just all seems a little self serving by the ARLC board in shutting up the clubs to keep their jobs.

well that was a deal between fox n 9
whats disappointing is the amount fox paid for the remaining 4 games ,
that's where our deal fell below expectations.

Johnny88

Juniors

I agree the Pay tv money is very good. The ch9 part is low wasn't there talk origin on its own could fetch 200mill? Anyway Dave Smith did that deal and the commission backed it so id say the next fta deal will jump even higher. Not sure what ch7 is paying for 3.5 games on fta (AFL)

Desert Qlder

First Grade
This just all seems a little self serving by the ARLC board in shutting up the clubs to keep their jobs.

Sadly this appears to be the case. All appearances of strong, independent leadership have been exposed as a pretence with this deal.

The main hallmark of this negotiation is that it is rushed, unnecessarily so. As a result of this haste the next couple of years are a complete mess when they had been squarely dealt with in 2012 as part of that negotiation. Now we have five days of football in 2016, and in 2017 a Friday 6pm with no monetary benefit to the game.

I don't sit on the extreme end of either side of the debate, evidenced in this thread. But I know arse-covering when I see it.

morningstar

Juniors
Thing is, the Warriors only have 12 home games. So, does that mean they get every home game on a Friday night with a 6pm (AEST) kick-off? What do you do for the remaining rounds?

That is the big issue. It will make a negative impact on crows, and TV ratings for a game starting at 6pm?! Many regular league watchers are still travelling home from work at that time. The ratings will nose dive compared to Monday nights.

Also 8.00 pm is not eliminated on Fridays either. In fact you ensure the 2nd Friday game will start at 8.00 pm, of not later.

That is why this time slot just makes no sense.

14 games in NZ next year and probably be the same maybe more in 2017. Assume the majority of those will be Friday 6pm games and take into account split rounds where the fixture won't be played and it's really not that bad.

Yes you take a hit in a straight comparison with MNF, but that is offset by Thursday night replacing the Friday delayed game.

Crippler

Juniors
could the storm host some 6pm Friday. games. I know Melbourne quite central and with good public transport could fans get to games on time ?

taipan

Referee
20 game season, 8-10 game international calendar EVERY year. Combination of 5 nations, ashes tours, world cups and pacific cups and world nines. Not rocket science really if you are committed and see the value of international competition.

That's all very nice mate,but you ignored the bush,expansion,a reduction in the number of games means less for clubs who pay players.

There has to be a balance.

We all want ideally a strong NRL nationwide,a hugely competitive International set up.And we would have been in a damn good position if there had been no SL war,no NRL losing money in 2012 under Gallop.
Clubs were struggling under the old NSWRL and the ARL:Sharks,Wests,Seagulls,Souths,Newtownm,Crushers to name a few.

It's not rocket science ,but like building a rocket it doesn't happen overnight,like you want it.

Of all the CEOs since Arko and Quayle,Grant has been the only one(at least was a former Kangaroo,)and wants to push grassroots and Internationals.Moffett,Gallop,Wittaker did zero.

If I had a choice of CEO for the NRL ,it would be Bernie Gurr,a highly successful businessman(former Rooster's player)residing in the USA.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
lol @ the Bigfooy residents lurking

"(Gay)FL matches go for 3 hours, ours last 2 hours."

"(Gay)FL has one extra game every week."

"People in Melbourne and Perth and Adelaide have nothing else to do except attend and watch (Gay)FL matches."

"(Gay)FL is spending trillions on clubs in non (Gay)FL areas that don't care about the game."

"We'll get them next time once the media realises that the NRL is the biggest game in Australia."

All we hear at LU is bullshit excuses. If the NRL is so ******* great, then why doesn't anyone want to go and and watch it? Their attendance average this year was 15,074. The last time the AFL was at that level was 1931. The NRL has SOO and internationals and a night GF and they still can't touch the AFL.

The fact is this, you can break it down to game by game or minute by minute or by number of clubs or whatever the hell you like, end of the day, these are all part of the process that leads the AFL to be the highest paid of the codes overall.

The Friday evening game wont be great for crowds, and historically games shown live against the gate have affected games too (we KNOW this from the AFL experience). So gate reciepts and memberships might take a hit or not grow as fast as the NRL would like.

As for spending money on Gold Coast and GWS. Consider this - last year the AFL total revenue was 524 million with 238 million in broadcast revenue. in 2018 media rights revenues will add another 180 million to that, putting AFL revenues at around the 750 million mark - just for the league itself. The NRL at present growth rates, with its media deal topping out at a generious 390 million, will barely get over the 500 million mark in total revenues. (its non broadcast revenue in 2014 was just 90 million IIRC)

see this is why you should never read league unlimited it's basically the main board during school holidays, except 24/7.

I still find it a bit sad that Australian people can despise a game made in Australia for Australians. The fact that they have been programmed that way to hate something that is Australian...well, I just don't know what to say about it.

The NRL grand finals, whether we like it or not, have been far more entertaining in the last 2 years than the AFL ones. That is a worry. The AFL need a second competition of some sort to keep interest in the game for people who don't necessarily want to see Hawthorn win a premiership for the next five years. Hawthorn produces dull grand finals.

Do they introduce a weekend of state of origin? NSW vs Qld and Vic vs WA one year...Vic vs SA next year...or a mid-season FA Cup style comp. Something. AFL needs to be doing something, as for a game like NRL (which is basically 95% of the time tackling and passing the ball backwards 2 metres) to be in the ball park with tv rights of Australian football is alarming.

I'm just getting my daily entertainment from reading LU.

I just noticed that they have copied over Wookie's chart, so I thought it might be fun to copy some excerpts of some absolutely brilliant posts.

How about this one for a pearler:

Sure we will probably get another 100-150m more but how s--t is that when we are the number one overall sport in the country.​

And that is said in absolute earnestness.

You forgot: derp, Vicky kicky, Victorian, the Anglo-Irish game, fumble ball

Ah yes "Victorian". A pathetic borderline offensive label that conveniently forgets Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory where AFL is just as dominate (I'd argue even more in SA/Tas). The inferiority complex is strong with NRL fans.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...derator-approved-rules-in-op.1033254/page-101

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...derator-approved-rules-in-op.1033254/page-100

they're a special bunch :lol:

Latest posts