What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Personally I don't see how that is "ideal" in relation to Channel 10 and Fox sports at all. The code only just got out from under the thumb of New Ltd yet you want us to get back into bed with them, which is what would happen as 10 are effectively under New Ltd's control.

Add in Channel 10's finances are still very poor we do not need a repeat of 1991 when they defaulted on their contract which is how the FTA rights wound up at Nine in the first place in 1992.

If the ARLC claim back full control of the schedule, as they are reportedly are keen to do, then it wont matter which network has the game in that respect.

Fox produce, undeniable, the best quality product of any tv corp we could hope to get in bed with, and 10/7 compete for 2nd (judging by the breif periods of AFL i can sit through).

As for the chances of them falling over, most of the money in the next contract will come from FOX, so while the FTA portion colapsing would be a pain, it would be no where near as major an issue asit was losing the only tv contract in 1992.

If the ARLC claim back full control of the schedule, as they are reportedly are keen to do, then it wont matter which network has the game in that respect.

Fox produce, undeniable, the best quality product of any tv corp we could hope to get in bed with, and 10/7 compete for 2nd (judging by the breif periods of AFL i can sit through).

As for the chances of them falling over, most of the money in the next contract will come from FOX, so while the FTA portion colapsing would be a pain, it would be no where near as major an issue asit was losing the only tv contract in 1992.

Sorry, but considering talk is of more games on free to air tv, how will "most of the money in the next contract will come from FOX"? That does not make any sense.

I don't disagree with you that Fox Sports produce a superior coverage of NRL than Channel 9 do.

i notice 9 have been advertising some Soccer game will be shown on 9, GEM and Go

why can't these f**kers do that for RL?

wankers

Exactly. Throw it on one of the HD channels. Pump the same ads through it.

Simple answer is that it is viewed as "fragmenting" their audience based on how TV ratings are measured. The lower the ratings, the lower the advertising rate they can charge. A one off game they won't care about, but on a regular basis they will. Sad to say but it is fact.

Best chance for change would be to get the legislation changed restricting broadcasting of the "main" channels in Standard Definition. This requirement was brought in when the digital change over was occurring and analogue TV broadcasts still occurred. It is no longer necessary as everyone either has an HD TV or at least a Digital Set Top box.

ek999

First Grade
i notice 9 have been advertising some Soccer game will be shown on 9, GEM and Go

why can't these f**kers do that for RL?

wankers

I don't think they mean at the same time rather that matches will be screened on one of the three channels, with different matches on different channels depending on hat else is on. The order of preference is 9 (as it's the main channel) followed by Gem (because it's the HD alt) followed by Go (because it offers nothing). For example, one Friday night there is the NRL, Ashes and a soccer match all on at the same time. To handle this 9 has the NRL, Gem has The Ashes and Go the soccer. On a night where there is NRL but no cricket they will show the soccer on Gem and when there is no NRL or cricket it will be on 9

ek999

First Grade
Simple answer is that it is viewed as "fragmenting" their audience based on how TV ratings are measured. The lower the ratings, the lower the advertising rate they can charge. A one off game they won't care about, but on a regular basis they will. Sad to say but it is fact.

Best chance for change would be to get the legislation changed restricting broadcasting of the "main" channels in Standard Definition. This requirement was brought in when the digital change over was occurring and analogue TV broadcasts still occurred. It is no longer necessary as everyone either has an HD TV or at least a Digital Set Top box.

The problem with that is, not all TV's and set top boxes are capable of receiving HD so if the main channel goes to HD and those without a HD tuner are unable to watch those channels it will be a political nightmare for the government. It's the same sort of shit that dragged the digital TV switchover out over 10 years or more

Haffa

How do SBS handle it? For any sport they air it's usually SD on their regular channel and HD on their HD channel.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sorry, but considering talk is of more games on free to air tv, how will "most of the money in the next contract will come from FOX"? That does not make any sense.

I don't disagree with you that Fox Sports produce a superior coverage of NRL than Channel 9 do.

If a Ch10 deal falls through and the ARLC is forced to put the rights back on the market with only 9 able to bid (meaning less money paid than if we had gone to 9 to begin with), its not the end of the world.

We would get less cash (but since most of the oney comes from Fox, who gives a shit) and we'd could expect, at worst, the current level of production quality/exposure.

Basically, im trying to say that the prospect of a Ch10 default should not scare us away from dealing with them as we done have heaps to lose anyway...

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...arlc-chairman-john-grant-20150710-gi9px2.html

State of Origin shouldn't be changed, warns ARLC chairman John Grant

Date
July 10, 2015 - 8:08PM

Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

NRL chairman John Grant has warned of the dangers of tinkering with State of Origin as powerbrokers consider the impact of the next broadcast rights deal on rugby league's marquee event.

The governing body is weighing-up whether to sell off the interstate series to TV networks as a separate entity at a time when new executive appointment Shane Richardson determines its place in the league schedule.

Global Media and Sports boss Colin Smith, who worked for the NRL on the last TV deal, believes the next league agreement could be worth up to $2 billion. By his estimation, Origin could account for up to 25 per cent of that revenue – meaning each interstate game could be worth up to $416,000 a minute.

At the same time, clubs are concerned about the toll Origin is taking on its marquee players while there are also fears the series results in a lack of interest in the competition proper.

Bulldogs coach Des Hasler, whose club provided five NSW players for game III, addressed the burnout issue again on Friday. The premiership-winning coach said the recovery process was harder than ever given the physical and mental demands on those participating.

"You look at how the game has changed, both at a club level and origin level - it is just the intensity of the games has increased enormously," Hasler said. "That's the cry, that I gather, from the clubs and the players, that they are asking be addressed. To [play] on Wednesday and back up on Friday, to back up Saturday. It's a toll on the players and probably not a fair one. That's something they have to work through."

Wayne Bennett has floated the prospect of 10-day breaks for Origin, which would result in one of the fixtures being played on a weekend. Roosters coach Trent Robinson, who is also on the NRL's competition committee, backed the proposal and said it was time to put player welfare before financial and broadcasting demands.

Grant said the ARLC was aware of all the viewpoints and that decisions would be made in the best interests of the game. However, he said all stakeholders must tread cautiously to ensure changes didn't adversely affect the game's flagship product.

"You have to be careful about mucking around with things," Grant said. "When you think about our broadcast rights compared to other sports broadcast rights, it is the unique difference. It has been a franchise that has been built up since 1980. It is fantastic so you have to be very careful with it. We know what it is worth to the broadcasters. The advertising bucks behind this and the brand value behind this is enormous. So you can expect us to leverage it and maximise the returns we can get from it."

Grant said the current broadcast rights deal limited the scope any meaningful scheduling changes until its expiration.

"The best indicator of the future is how things have done in the past," Grant said. "If you just think of it as a football property, it has been an appreciating property since 1980. You keep saying to yourself, 'Can this keep going, can this keep going, can this keep going?' And it does. The players live up to everyone's expectations …If we come up with a decision to change State of Origin than we will, because there will be good reason for it."

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I still support Origin as a stand-alone.....

Stop the NRL for 5 weeks, play other rep games aswell and keep Origin on a Wednesday as the main-event for the period.

Brutus

Referee
Stop the NRL for five weeks?!?!?!?

An absolute stinker of an idea.

Origin has to remain on a Wednesday. I'd just change the time in between games to 2 weeks. Have the weekend 'rep round' after origin minus city v country. Make it an international rep round (sort of). Kiwi v Aus Test Friday night, fiji, png, samoa, tonga play sat night and Sunday can be NSW Res v QLD Residents.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Why not a cup tournament?

8 games into 4 into 2 then a final played in country areas also some games in the cities.

4 quarters per game.

hutch

First Grade
An absolute stinker of an idea.

Origin has to remain on a Wednesday. I'd just change the time in between games to 2 weeks. Have the weekend 'rep round' after origin minus city v country. Make it an international rep round (sort of). Kiwi v Aus Test Friday night, fiji, png, samoa, tonga play sat night and Sunday can be NSW Res v QLD Residents.

It doesn't 'have to' remain on Wednesdays at all.

There will be NRL free weekends in the future, it is only a matter of time. Origin will be played on Saturday or Sunday nights with other rep games played on that weekend. It's what is best for our sport!

gallagher

Juniors

There will be NRL free weekends in the future, it is only a matter of time. Origin will be played on Saturday or Sunday nights with other rep games played on that weekend. It's what is best for our sport!

I doubt they will be willing to take the hit in the ratings.

BuffaloRules

Coach

What " matter of time" period are you talking about?

It won't be during the next TV deal that will run 2018-2022 ( other than the current ANZAC test weekend)

And what is the round of rep games (x 3 )you propose even after that?

insert.pause

First Grade

Origin will never be played on a Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.