What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Doc

Coach
9 definitely need to start grooming some new commentators now, whether that is by cultivating rookies or poaching foxtel talent.

Perhaps stealing radio talent, although Hadley has proved how hard the transition is.

Isn't one of Warren's son's a racecaller? That'll do.

insert.pause

First Grade
Clever tactic by NRL to announce fta deal first, the price is there now, if fox want simulcasting they will have to pay to cover at least whatever loss the NRL will take from nine for doing so, the nrl wont agree to simulcasting if it means taking a significant hit on the fta rights, so there's little wiggle room available for fox to haggle if they want simulcasting, and considering their business model I would be surprised if they wouldn't want simulcasting, particularly since Nine now have a saturday night game and the monday night game has been scrapped.

The total will surely get close to $2 billion now.

undertaker

Coach
Can't wait to hear Tim Gilbert commentate twice a week.

I hope Matt Thompson (who called yesterday's Knights vs Roosters match) gets the gig over Gilbert or Hadley. Would much prefer to listen to him. However, I think it's inevitable that Gilbert will be calling at least one of the matches.

But yeah, with 4 games/week now on FTA from 2018, it will be interesting to see which commentators get allocated certain fixtures (e.g. Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday arvo). I'm assuming Rabs will call Origin and the GF if he's still around. Sterlo has significantly cut back on his commentary commitments this year, only commentating a handful of Sunday matches. The younger brigade - Joey, Fittler, Lockyer and Finch - have taken on a greater role in the commentary box this year.

Last edited:
I hope Matt Thompson (who called yesterday's Knights vs Roosters match) gets the gig over Gilbert or Hadley. Would much prefer to listen to him.

But yeah, with 4 live games/week now, it will be interesting to see which commentators get allocated certain fixtures (e.g. Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday arvo). I'm assuming Rabs will still call Origin and the GF. Sterlo has significantly cut back on his commentary commitments this year, only commentating a handful of Sunday matches. Joey, Fittler, Lockyer and Finch have taken on a greater role this year.

Yeah but Sterlo has picked up work on Fox Sports with shows like Sterlo, and on Triple M has been involved in some match day broadcasts.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
If the NRL was to put this 925m into a money market mutual fund and than reinvest the earnings into foreign currencies accounts with compounding interest AND ITS GONE

Danish

Referee
I actually think if they told Johns and Fittler to stay off the cans before the coverage started and to talk serious footy, they would both excel at it.

Separating them onto different games and just having them provide analysis of tries and such would be their strong point. Both have a tremendous ability to read a game and spot how teams are going to target opposition (often times you'll hear Johns or Freddy state that X team should target Y defender with Z play, and they'll do just that later that game). Certainly beats the "SPACE ON THE LEFT!!! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEAH!" Lewis commentary on Brisbane games.

Channel 9 IMO encourages the yobbo act that these 2 put on during games. Neither of them are scholars, don't get me wrong, but both also possess a tremendous knowledge of the game and could be converted into sterlo-like characters with some direction

insert.pause

First Grade
Clever tactic by NRL to announce fta deal first, the price is there now, if fox want simulcasting they will have to pay to cover at least whatever loss the NRL will take from nine for doing so, the nrl wont agree to simulcasting if it means taking a significant hit on the fta rights, so there's little wiggle room available for fox to haggle if they want simulcasting, and considering their business model I would be surprised if they wouldn't want simulcasting, particularly since Nine now have a saturday night game and the monday night game has been scrapped.

The total will surely get close to $2 billion now.

some11

Referee
TIL "tremendous footwork for a big man, he's just so big and strong, he'll play Origin next year" x1000 is good analysis.

Canard

Immortal
I actually think if they told Johns and Fittler to stay off the cans before the coverage started and to talk serious footy, they would both excel at it.

Separating them onto different games and just having them provide analysis of tries and such would be their strong point. Both have a tremendous ability to read a game and spot how teams are going to target opposition (often times you'll hear Johns or Freddy state that X team should target Y defender with Z play, and they'll do just that later that game). Certainly beats the "SPACE ON THE LEFT!!! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEAH!" Lewis commentary on Brisbane games.

Channel 9 IMO encourages the yobbo act that these 2 put on during games. Neither of them are scholars, don't get me wrong, but both also possess a tremendous knowledge of the game and could be converted into sterlo-like characters with some direction

Yes, Freddie = Rhodes Scholar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts