What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

the beavers

Juniors
Seems a good deal for the game
Unfortunately unless there are same big personnel changes it means another 6 years watching the footy mute

Maybe they juumped the gun not waiting to see how the Stan/TelstrA/ Netflix things go....

A new State of Origin schedule with the second match in each series being played on a Sunday night as part of a stand alone weekend of representative football which will also feature Pacific Nation Tests

Mr Smith said the changes would mean less disruption to the Telstra Premiership with only one split round each year.

http://www.nrl.com/new-free-to-air-t...0/default.aspx

I'm not sure why there'd only be one split round per year. It still means that 4 rounds (before and after origin 1 & 3) are affected by SOO, so at least 2 rounds (probably before and after game 3) are going to feature a full round of substandard football. By my count that makes 24 games affected by SOO (better than the 32 games this year), but if both SOO1 & SOO3 featured split rounds, it would mean only 16 games affected by SOO.

At least if you give all teams 2 byes (each team gets a "before" origin and an "after origin" bye), it can be uniform.

Ray Warren will have retired before 2018, which will be a joyful relief for TV viewers, but not for his doddering fellow inmates at the convalescent home will be going to.

Ray Hadley is angling for Ray Warren's position and pay check, which is why he sucks up to Ray Warren and why he went berserk over an innocent remark that his arch rival Andrew Voss made about Ray Warren's statue. Hadley used his clout with Gyngell to get Voss sacked from Ch 9 to ensure that the road was open for Hadley's eventual ascension to the Ray Warren throne. So expect Hadley to be the number One caller for Channel Nine by 2018 at the latest, and expect also to see the demise of Phil Gould, who cannot stomach Hadley.

Last edited:
The NRL should just tell Fox to f**k off completely and go straight to Netflix with a good deal that benefits both parties. Play the long game by building a good business relationship with Netflix early which makes both parties more tangible come negotiation time. I'm talking Smith and Hastings getting down to the golf whenever they can level stuff.

We would be in great shape coming in to the 2020's from both a television and an internet streaming perspective, and the game would get more exposure than it ever has if Netflix decide to open their streams up to a U.S audience.

Because Netflix have how much sport at the moment?

Things might change, but they have a business model, and sport isn't part of it.

Canard

Immortal
A new State of Origin schedule with the second match in each series being played on a Sunday night as part of a stand alone weekend of representative football which will also feature Pacific Nation Tests

Mr Smith said the changes would mean less disruption to the Telstra Premiership with only one split round each year.

I'm not sure why there'd only be one split round per year. It still means that 4 rounds (before and after origin 1 & 3) are affected by SOO, so at least 2 rounds (probably before and after game 3) are going to feature a full round of substandard football. By my count that makes 24 games affected by SOO (better than the 32 games this year), but if both SOO1 & SOO3 featured split rounds, it would mean only 16 games affected by SOO.

At least if you give all teams 2 byes (each team gets a "before" origin and an "after origin" bye), it can be uniform.

I agree with you, so either we are missing something or they are saying that teams who play without their Origin players won't be "disrupted".?

Last Week

Bench
I'm very curious to see how the games will be broadcast now.

I am praying now that Thursday night is locked in, that Monday night is locked out and now moved to Sunday night.

I'm curious to see how Fox Sports will respond to not having their exclusive Saturday coverage now. They won't have an exclusive night of NRL so what's the point of getting Foxtel now?

We will now have;
Thursday night at 7:30pm on 9. (leading into the Footy Show)
Friday night at 7:30pm on 9.
Saturday at 3:00pm on Fox Sports
Saturday at 5:30pm on Fox Sports
Saturday at 7:30pm on 9.
Sunday at 2:00pm on Fox Sports.
Sunday at 4:00pm on 9. (leading into the news at 6)
And likely, Sunday at 6:30pm on Fox Sports. (most likely leading into the Matty Johns Show)

Two questions;

1. Will simulcasting, that Fox Sports will no doubt get, be enough to cover the loss of exclusive Saturday night football? When getting new subscribers, people that are trying to be money savvy will not likely go to Fox just because of better coverage. I know that it will likely include Finals matches as well, excluding the GF.

2. With expansion likely to happen, where will the 9th game be played? I don't like the idea of having more than one game being played at a time, but that looks like what is going to happen. That or Monday night comes back, which would mean the dreaded 5 nights a week of football.

This could be an opportunity for another 4:00pm Sunday game that Fox Sports can broadcast at the same time as Channel 9's Sunday game.

Danish

Referee

2 weekends will be affected by state of origin players being sat out. A split round takes 2 weeks to complete. So therefore only 1 split round will be affected by origin.

We'll still have players deciding not to back up after origin 1 and 3 of course, but that is their decision.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I agree with you, so either we are missing something or they are saying that teams who play without their Origin players won't be "disrupted".?

I'm guessing half the teams will be having byes during origin 1 (therefore starting the split round) and the other half have their byes before origin 3 ( therefore closing the split round) essentially the split round isn't held over consecutive weeks.
In that scenario each team only has 1 game without their origin players (unlike the unfair system this year were broncos had 2 games without origin players and Souths for example had none).
Each team will have their origin players back up after 2 games, which to be honest isn't so bad because most origin players are good enough to back up anyway.
So if it plays out like this, only 8 games will be played without origin players, with another 16 games affected by origin players (assuming theirs no second bye, if they retain the second bye that number drops to 8) which is a fair sight better than the shit show it currently is.
Personally I don't mind the games without origin players, gives rookies and fringe players a chance to shine, and many stars have been unearthed in this period.

How the hell is Channel 9 going to cover four nightly games when even now they can't usually get Ray Warren out of bed for more than one game each week?

Ray Hadley, the mischievous heir apparent to the ailing Warren, is too busy with his lucrative 2GB job to call more than one game a week. And Hadley cannot travel to Queensland on weeknights because of his 2GB job. Channel 9 must now be regretting firing Andrew Voss at the behest of the bullying and ambitious Hadley, because they just don't have the talent available to call four games each week.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The real issue here to me is....

How are those clowns at Big Footy taking this :)

Thinking they'd be joining the union and soccer cultist laughing at nine for spending so much on a sport that's clearly dying (as they've been so loudly shouting for the last 20 years)

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
I dont really think foxtel are in any position to bargain too much against what the NRL wants. Without the NRL, foxtel's profits crash.

As has been said, the NRL have about 2 years up their sleeve, if Foxtel dont come to the party then the NRL could just reject them and see what Foxtel's competitors such as netflix may put on the table.

Exactly. I think that Foxtel are over a barrel here. This new deal is not far from the current deal in terms of dollars. It would never happen, but the NRL could just get a good deal from someone else, Netflix, ABC, You Tube, who ever, for a measly $200 million deal and we'd still be getting more money than we are now. Foxtel on the other hand would be f**ked.

All up, after online and NZ deals, $2billion isn't out of the question.

Sleep

Juniors
Those saying that HD isn't important have never watched the current broadcast on WIN on a 60/70 inch (which are fairly common these days). It literally looks like a child has been at your TV with some crayons on the long shots.

Last Week

Bench
Those saying that HD isn't important have never watched the current broadcast on WIN on a 60/70 inch (which are fairly common these days). It literally looks like a child has been at your TV with some crayons on the long shots.

Really? Literally?

LESStar58

Referee
Sorry if I've missed it but just reading the last page... does getting the deal done this early mean no expansion?

Canard

Immortal

It looks like a 2001 era youtube video expanded to full screen.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Because Netflix have how much sport at the moment?

Things might change, but they have a business model, and sport isn't part of it.

That's the beauty of Netflix. Unlike Fox, they're a progressive corporation. They're willing to try anything because they can. They have a large enough audience where they're simply appealing to another demographic.

Mark my words, in 3 years time, when the library is impressive enough and the NBN gets just a bit closer to....*ahem*..."Completion", Netflix will have the whole of Australia wrapped around its finger and guess who will be the first knocking at their door.

The Steeden and the Sherrin.

Status
Not open for further replies.