What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
9 definitely need to start grooming some new commentators now, whether that is by cultivating rookies or poaching foxtel talent.

If there's simulcasts I can see them using Fox talent for the Saturday games.

Except Vossy of course, because Hadley is a merkin

Exactly. I think that Foxtel are over a barrel here. This new deal is not far from the current deal in terms of dollars. It would never happen, but the NRL could just get a good deal from someone else, Netflix, ABC, You Tube, who ever, for a measly $200 million deal and we'd still be getting more money than we are now. Foxtel on the other hand would be f**ked.

All up, after online and NZ deals, $2billion isn't out of the question.

I don't get why this is a good thing? Lessen the competition so that the next time it comes to a bid there are less people in the mix? Because I don't know how foxtel would go without NRL for 5 years.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I don't get why this is a good thing? Lessen the competition so that the next time it comes to a bid there are less people in the mix? Because I don't know how foxtel would go without NRL for 5 years.

Look at the bigger picture. The eventual death of Foxtel can only be a good thing for the regular Australian. It frees up rights holders to just go nuts instead of being stuck in the same old monopoly loggerhead that Foxtels market share currently controls.

Plus, take Foxtel out of the picture and Murdoch would have to make better use of One HD/Channel 10 in order to get a piece of the League pie.

Last Week

Bench

This..

Look at the bigger picture. The eventual death of Foxtel can only be a good thing for the regular Australian. It frees up rights holders to just go nuts instead of being stuck in the same old monopoly loggerhead that Foxtels market share currently controls.

Plus, take Foxtel out of the picture and Murdoch would have to make better use of One HD/Channel 10 in order to get a piece of the League pie.

As this f**ker I've never heard of said, Foxtel dying would only strengthen its competitors. At the moment its competitors aren't as main stream as Foxtel, but take away that main stream, suddenly everything else becomes dominant.

And the point is not to kill off Foxtel. The point is to make them shit themselves to the point of thinking they must pay top dollar to get what they need to stay on top. This deal does that nearly perfect with the NRL able to take a significantly weaker deal for the rest of the matches and still maintain it's current broadcast income at a minimum.

Make no mistake, pay TV and Foxtel in its current format will die. It's just a matter of when. It's currently losing it's strength and the NRL is its strongest chance of staying on top.

In the mean time, the rest of the market will get Netflix and other online streaming services stronger and more competitive with Foxtel. The NRL will rake in close to $2 billion while it's main provider of that money will have it's competitors stronger who could also offer similar or more amounts of cash.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your kidding yourselves, no one is going to bid more than Foxtel, regardless of what they bid. At the moment they are facing a pretty poor situation unless their is a ninth game to sell, and live simulcast. Even then I doubt many are going to keep their subscriptions if it is a 50-50 split fox and fta with 8 games. I certainly won't. This is where the nrl needs to go hard on tne expansion sales ticket. It is the only thing of any real value to give Fox an edge over fta and get them to raise their price.

Surprised at smiths 17th team comment, what value is there in that without a ninth game?

applesauce

Bench
Nine Network outfoxes Foxtel in rugby league rights

The deal struck between the Nine Network and the NRL so perfectly highlights the dilemma facing free-to-air commercial networks today. Retaining relevance in the new world of increased competition requires more compelling and expensive programming but at a time when revenue is under more pressure. Nine paid the equivalent of $925 million to receive exclusive live coverage of the four biggest NRL games each week, the finals and the State of Origin. Its package also includes the free digital rights for five years starting in 2018.

Nine's move to be more aggressive on sport programs is perversely a defensive one. The pressure on Nine's share price on Monday suggests the market did not appreciate the strategic value in the company's programming deal or wasn't convinced by comments from Nine chief executive David Gyngell: "As the audience for television fragments, the value and marketing power of free live premium sport across multiple media cannot be underestimated."

It appears like a big increase in the current package – how much bigger depends on how one calculates lots of variables that make up the package. Firstly, Nine will now broadcast four premier live games. At present, it broadcasts two live as well as one delayed (on Friday night).

If calculated on a per live hours of football basis, the cost of Nine's football program deal is 14 per cent higher, according to Citi analyst Justin Diddams.The good news is that Nine can claw back some of that cost if the NRL sells Foxtel the rights to simulcast Nine's games. But how much is not known.

Clearly, Nine will attempt to recoup as much as possible from boosting the advertising revenue derived during the games. "For Nine, they're paying an additional cost of $90 million per season, which implies the extra two live games (Thursday and Saturday night) need to make a material ad revenue contribution to break-even on the new deal. We estimate Nine's current two live games (Friday/Sunday) generate $40 million per season," Diddams says.

Macquarie Securities' Andrew Levy takes a more positive view. "Under the new deal, Nine is increasing the games broadcast from three to four and is doubling its hours of live coverage. Given the significant step-up in total and live rights, the inflationary pressures in the deal look very modest," he says.

Nine's move to be more aggressive on sport programs is perversely a defensive one. But it is not fending off an attack from other free-to-air networks given Seven is now traditionally the home of AFL and Ten doesn't have the readies to get into the big sport game on a standalone basis.

The networks need to retain eyeballs as competition from video streaming operators are siphoning viewers.
And when it comes to the NRL the two big competitors are Nine and Foxtel – even though the later is fighting with one hand behind its back due to the anti-siphoning laws that mandate first dibs on much premier sports to the free-to-air networks.

Under this latest round of NRL negotiations, however, Foxtel has fared particularly badly. Foxtel is arguably under much more threat from paid video streaming services. The likes of Netflix, STAN and Presto don't offer sport, which means Foxtel's competitive advantage in the pay market is its sport package.
From 2018, Nine will take a bigger slice of the premier NRL games and broadcast them free, which could be enough for some Foxtel subscribers to think twice about paying to subscribe for the less popular weekly games.

The unfortunate twist for Foxtel is that it probably can't afford to ignore picking up the second tier NRL games for fear of losing too many of the estimated 600,000 Fox Sports viewers.
Given it is the only major pay-TV service in the market that offers sport, it would be logical to suggest it would be a buyers market for the pay rights. Under Foxtel's five-year deal (which runs to 2017), it pays the NRL $550 million.

The final party in this NRL broadcast game is Telstra, which has the digital rights to live games.
Nine has the rights to free-stream the four main games and state of origin and given Foxtel will probably acquire the pay rights to all the games it might be unwilling to let Telstra compete with it.
In other words, Telstra may not get a distribution role (via any device) from 2018.
The winner is the NRL. It stands to make more than the $1 billion it got for the existing rights package and it gets four live prime-time free to air games broadcast. The sporting body also regains control of the season schedule.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bus...l-in-rugby-league-rights-20150810-givolv.html

Last Week

Bench
9 definitely need to start grooming some new commentators now, whether that is by cultivating rookies or poaching foxtel talent.

Perhaps stealing radio talent, although Hadley has proved how hard the transition is.

Isn't one of Warren's son's a racecaller? That'll do.

Yeah but he was the ground announcer at Parra for a few years and no one really liked him. He seemed more interested in hearing his own voice than anything.

Unless Rabs has another son I don't know about.

We could look at other sports for commentators. I'm sure I read a few years back that one of the callers for Union was actually more of a League fan. And apparently he was a professional caller too.

magpie4ever

First Grade
"I was just fishing".

Didn't know they had internet in retirement homes anyway, learn something new every day.

You better duck down to the amenities room than, ole pixel bubba.

Wah, wah, wah bubba needs nappy change, my pixel intake is too low.:lol:

f**k you make me larf, dunderhead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Has it been confirmed there will only be one Friday night game? Is it possible fox may screen one live against ch9? Wondering where the value for fox is in all of this. Seems that without something radical the value of nrl to pay TV has just diminished dramatically.

Johnny88

Juniors
Is Nine's NRL deal too expensive?

SHARES in Nine Entertainment have fallen after the broadcaster secured a new five-year NRL deal for more than double what it currently pays.
"I really did think that Ten would throw their hat in the ring, and that could have driven the price tag up above $1 billion, but it hasn't played out that way."

Investors appeared less enthusiastic, with shares in Nine dropping four cents, or 2.8 per cent, to $1.40.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...m-for-nrl-rights/story-fni0xqe4-1227476927235

Last Week

Bench
I actually think if they told Johns and Fittler to stay off the cans before the coverage started and to talk serious footy, they would both excel at it.

Separating them onto different games and just having them provide analysis of tries and such would be their strong point. Both have a tremendous ability to read a game and spot how teams are going to target opposition (often times you'll hear Johns or Freddy state that X team should target Y defender with Z play, and they'll do just that later that game). Certainly beats the "SPACE ON THE LEFT!!! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEAH!" Lewis commentary on Brisbane games.

Channel 9 IMO encourages the yobbo act that these 2 put on during games. Neither of them are scholars, don't get me wrong, but both also possess a tremendous knowledge of the game and could be converted into sterlo-like characters with some direction

I agree. I love watching Joey's pre game analysis. He does struggle to finish his points off, but he does tactically break everything down so well and explains it well enough that the average viewer can understand.

I can't stand Hadley, but I think he's gotten better at actually calling the games on TV. Just keep him away from the screen and use him like they currently use Rabs. (Ideally, find someone better.)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smiths comments on expansion. As for the last 7 years we are left dangling g with just enough hope to not walk away!

Expansion of the NRL beyond its current 16 teams appears to have been put on the back-burner under the new broadcast deal signed with Channel Nine.

Nine has won the rights to broadcast the NRL from 2018 to 2022 in a deal worth $925, the game's governing body announced on Monday.

NRL boss Dave Smith welcomed the news as helping to secure the game's long-term future.

Smith said he had been involved in discussions with potential parties about expanding the NRL to 17 and 18 teams, but that the new deal was based around eight games a week and thus 16 first grade sides.

"This deal assumes 16 teams," Smith said in a press conference announcing the new deal.

"We have had discussions about whether we could introduce a 17th team and they have been good faith discussion and there is the ability within the contract to do this.
"If you do the modelling typically what happens is that you get all the costs that suggest you move to 18. But I'm not talking about that today, this deal is about a 16-team competition, it is about eight games a weekend. "But there have been some conversations about expansion and we have built some flexibility."
Such comments will likely come as a blow to bid teams keen on introducing a second Brisbane team and a Perth team into the NRL.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/10/nrl-expansion-put-backburner

Canard

Immortal
Has it been confirmed there will only be one Friday night game? Is it possible fox may screen one live against ch9? Wondering where the value for fox is in all of this. Seems that without something radical the value of nrl to pay TV has just diminished dramatically.

There is still 4 games??

Competing telecasts of different matches won't happen. Not on different TV stations anyway.

I'd say FOX will be looking to broadcast every match live

Canard

Immortal

Smiths comments on expansion. As for the last 7 years we are left dangling g with just enough hope to not walk away!

Expansion of the NRL beyond its current 16 teams appears to have been put on the back-burner under the new broadcast deal signed with Channel Nine.

Nine has won the rights to broadcast the NRL from 2018 to 2022 in a deal worth $925, the game's governing body announced on Monday.

NRL boss Dave Smith welcomed the news as helping to secure the game's long-term future.

Smith said he had been involved in discussions with potential parties about expanding the NRL to 17 and 18 teams, but that the new deal was based around eight games a week and thus 16 first grade sides.

"This deal assumes 16 teams," Smith said in a press conference announcing the new deal.

"We have had discussions about whether we could introduce a 17th team and they have been good faith discussion and there is the ability within the contract to do this.
"If you do the modelling typically what happens is that you get all the costs that suggest you move to 18. But I'm not talking about that today, this deal is about a 16-team competition, it is about eight games a weekend. "But there have been some conversations about expansion and we have built some flexibility."
Such comments will likely come as a blow to bid teams keen on introducing a second Brisbane team and a Perth team into the NRL.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/10/nrl-expansion-put-backburner

That was my thinking, the club's aren't going to be willing to split the pie with two more sides.

So 2022 at the earliest.

It's very short sighted.

macnaz

Staff member
Your kidding yourselves, no one is going to bid more than Foxtel, propagandaof what they bid. At the moment they are facing a pretty poor situation unless their is a ninth game to sell, and live simulcast. Even then I doubt many are going to keep their subscriptions if it is a 50-50 split fox and fta with 8 games. I certainly won't. This is where the nrl needs to go hard on tne expansion sales ticket. It is the only thing of any real value to give Fox an edge over fta and get them to raise their price.

Surprised at smiths 17th team comment, what value is there in that without a ninth game?

Wank on about your 9th game f**ktard !! Got to give you points for pushing your pile of shit WA propagana rubbish . DREAM ON THO BUDDY !

Last Week

Bench

I've wondered the same thing. Hoping for a competing Sunday afternoon game with expansion. 4pm on Fox Sports. They would have three games to themselves on Sunday (a Super Sunday if you will) and Nine would also still have it's exclusive game leading into the 6pm news.

And I'm sure they'll appreciate simulcasting all matches, except for the GF, Origin and internationals.

If I weren't already with Foxtel, and was thinking of getting it, simulcasting probably wouldn't get me to sign up for even 5 games a week. But I think Foxtel is ridiculously over priced regardless.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
I agree. I love watching Joey's pre game analysis. He does struggle to finish his points off, but he does tactically break everything down so well and explains it well enough that the average viewer can understand.

I can't stand Hadley, but I think he's gotten better at actually calling the games on TV. Just keep him away from the screen and use him like they currently use Rabs. (Ideally, find someone better.)

If you love that I would suggest you did play too much footy as a junior because there is nothing miraclous in his analysis. It is just basic analysis.

They should have a 10 minute led in into games.

Announce the teams, quick rundown of who will win and why than on with the game, not one hour of shit leading up to the actual game. People who have played the game are bored shitless until kick off.

Last Week

Bench
There is still 4 games??

Competing telecasts of different matches won't happen. Not on different TV stations anyway.

I'd say FOX will be looking to broadcast every match live

Without Monday night coming back, it will have to happen as far as I can work out. (The time zone advantage isn't really practicable)

I'm sure the AFL still has overlaps. They'd have to with 5 games on a Saturday.

The NFL has all but 2 of it's 16 matches on Sundays. (Not a fair comparison, I know)

So the NRL have said f**k you to expansion clubs.
f**k you to international footy.
And f**k off and die to bush footy.

Yet again.

Par for the course from these hopeless merkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.