What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie4ever

First Grade
You look like an old fool. It makes a massive difference, if you can't notice the obvious benefits then you simply have poor eye sight. It's a more significant difference than VHS vs DVD.

Australia is lagging behind compared to the rest of the developed world in this regard.

And you look like a Gen Y (I know all) turd.

f**k me, more worried about pixel counts than the actual content of the game.

If you and the other non-reality posters are so worried go an watch the GAFL of SevenMate or the bloody cars on Eleven.

I'm sure half of you pricks have never played football except on your bloody PS3s. Get a life and a job.

Wah, wah bubba wants more pixials. You dudes crack me up.:lol:

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any idea what the grant will go to? Will there be enough after the players put their hands out to have some of the chook raffle clubs stand on their own two feet?

Probably not, clubs have been getting more money every year but still struggle. Maybe if they cut down on wrestling coaches and supplement programs and worked harder on the corporate appeal and fan appeal things might be a bit more stable for them?

Having said that I would like to see grant go up to around $10mill and salary cap around $9mill.

ek999

First Grade
Well they wonder why fans are giving the game the middle finger. Come on it is 2015. Lets go through the other channels. 7 shows sport on 7mate in HD, 10 shows sport on ONE in HD. SBS show sport (Tour De France, etc) in HD.

Wake up 9, High Definition is an absolute minimum nowadays.

That isn;t true

7 show AFL on 7Mate in NSW and Qld but they don't anywhere else. Channel 10 only show motor sport highlights on One. All live motor sport and the Rugby test matches are on 10. SBS simulcast their main channel but that is because they are predominately government funded so they do not need to worry about audience fragmentation for advertising revenue.

Until the government allow the networks to broadcast their main channel in HD we will be stuck with it in SD. And that time is quite a long way away if the problems of the digital TV switchover is anything to go by

Saint Doc

Coach
PR I disagree, I agree with your rationale but I think it harms Perth's chances.

How many people would sign up for Fox in WA based on a RL team who wouldn't sign up for the AFL, Western Force or for NRL generally?

We're talking about people who have no interest in anything but a Perth based NRL team.
I would guess approximately 0.

A second Brisbane side/Ipswich/Logan would drive subscribers to Fox, as would a Central Queensland team. A second NZ team would increase the SkySports deal.

I can't see Perth being the answer to Fox recouping their money

chigurh

Going to be really interesting to see what Fox do. At first I was a bit despondent, but not at all surprised sadly, there is still no plan for expansion announced. But for fox to hold on to its subscribers now there are 4 FTA games there is only a couple of things they can do 1. simulcast every game live 2. Have a dedicated RL channel 3. Support expansion to still hold the majority of games exclusively.

I think a Brisbane2 channel and a perth team makes sense for fox as they are markets they can drive subscriptions on RL due to FTA will probably focus on one Brisbane team a week and Perth gets crappy covg from Nine so most fans stump up for Fox. Perth also offers some good live timeslots when at home ie 6pm East coast is a 4pm daytime KO in Perth on a sunday.

well here's fingers crossed anyway lol.

I think you are pretty spot on with Fox's options. Options 1 and 2 would be almost certainties you'd imagine, and the time frame for actually signing off on the deal might be the most interesting part.

I think if Foxtel are willing to pay more Foran extra game we might see Monday night football stay as it is a ratings winner for them. I can see Foxtel pushing for the extra game and then end up keeping Monday's game

I dare say Monday night football is dead. The on field product would suffer if you had games on 5 nights a week. It would also create a logistical nightmare in terms of scheduling from round to round. I mean how can you prepare a team to play if you wind up with a 4 day turn around? The NRL hold the whip hand here, not Foxtel.

Rosetta

Juniors
While some suggest the announcement of the free-to-air component of the deal weakens the NRL bargaining power with Fox Sports over the remaining four matches per week, others argue that the pay-TV broadcaster could not afford to forego the NRL rights as subscriptions are already impacted by the emergence of streaming networks such as Netflix and Stan.

In fact, it is likely that Foxtel subscribers will be able to watch all eight NRL matches live through a simulcast deal that enables the network to also show the games on Nine at the same time and have exclusive rights to the other four matches.

Fairfax Media has been told that Nine has already agreed to that during negotiations of the $925 million free-to-air deal but Fox Sports will also have to pay significantly more than $650 million ($130 million per year) they paid for five live games per week under the current five-year deal for the simulcast rights.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ntrol-of-its-own-destiny-20150810-givcwy.html

Updated article from Walter, sounds good.

happy-old-man-its-happening-meme_43.gif

ek999

First Grade
If you want change mate, lobby your local member of parliament. It is the only way it will change mate as Channel 9 won't change.

As to the other Channels you mention, Channel 7 do not show games on both Channel 7 and 7 mate in the same cities at the same time. The sports on One HD are many not covered by the anti-siphoning legislation. SBS? It is a government broadcaster. They don't worry about ratings as they can only have very limited advertising.

I want it in HD too, but complaining to Channel 9 about it or the NRL will not get the change to happen. I am merely pointing out what 9's response will be. They won't broadcast it on 2 channels in the same city, as it lowers their ratings. Lower ratings means lower advertising rates they can charge. That is their commercial reality whether we like it or not.

Want it in HD? Get on to the Federal Government to change the broadcasting requirements for the main channel from being restricted to SD.

Even sports that aren't on the anti-siphoning list (like overseas F1 races) are shown on 10 instead of One when they are broadcast live

Perth Red

Post Whore
PR I disagree, I agree with your rationale but I think it harms Perth's chances.

How many people would sign up for Fox in WA based on a RL team who wouldn't sign up for the AFL, Western Force or for NRL generally?

We're talking about people who have no interest in anything but a Perth based NRL team.
I would guess approximately 0.

A second Brisbane side/Ipswich/Logan would drive subscribers to Fox, as would a Central Queensland team. A second NZ team would increase the SkySports deal.

I can't see Perth being the answer to Fox recouping their money

yes and no, it gives growth opportunity alongside the hardcore we have now. No idea how many RL fans in WA pay for fox primarily for NRL but I would be one. Now there are 4 games on FTA I'll ditch it when that happens, unless there is a perth team then I'll keep it as in all likelihood the perth team will be mostly on Fox I suspect. Reality is the real $ value of expansion is in Brisbane, the second team will be worth a lot less so the game might as well use it as a chance to grow its footprint and relevance as a national code.

roughyedspud

Coach
Instead of selling tv rights to individual international tv markets i don't get why the NRL don't set up a NRL.TV IPTV channel for overseas viewers??

I currently pay premier sports,here in the uk,£10 a month..and all i watch is NRL...how much of that £10 subscription does the NRL see? 20p ?

Id gladly subscribe £10 a month to NRL.TV and all the money go to the NRL..

they'd earn far more money doing international rights that way.

Last edited:
I dare say Monday night football is dead. The on field product would suffer if you had games on 5 nights a week. It would also create a logistical nightmare in terms of scheduling from round to round. I mean how can you prepare a team to play if you wind up with a 4 day turn around? The NRL hold the whip hand here, not Foxtel.

I'd doubt it would make the on field product any different because the NRL (and likely the players union and managers) would ensure that teams have an adequate rest, so there is no way that teams would have a 4 day turn around. Just like now where the Monday night teams cannot play the following Friday.

But yes, it would making scheduling a nightmare.

Saint Doc

Coach
yes and no, it gives growth opportunity alongside the hardcore we have now. No idea how many RL fans in WA pay for fox primarily for NRL but I would be one. Now there are 4 games on FTA I'll ditch it when that happens, unless there is a perth team then I'll keep it as in all likelihood the perth team will be mostly on Fox I suspect. Reality is the real $ value of expansion is in Brisbane, the second team will be worth a lot less so the game might as well use it as a chance to grow its footprint and relevance as a national code.

Exactly.

Perth makes sense if the NRL makes the decision

But if the NRL uses expansion as a bargaining chip to extract broadcast revenue, then I don't think Perth will be the answer.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The NRL should just tell Fox to f**k off completely and go straight to Netflix with a good deal that benefits both parties. Play the long game by building a good business relationship with Netflix early which makes both parties more tangible come negotiation time. I'm talking Smith and Hastings getting down to the golf whenever they can level stuff.

We would be in great shape coming in to the 2020's from both a television and an internet streaming perspective, and the game would get more exposure than it ever has if Netflix decide to open their streams up to a U.S audience.

The whole innovation of 4 days free to air live makes sense only if there is expansion, because Ch 9 needs a national audience which means it needs more non-NSW Australian clubs in the roster. That tells me that Perth and Brisbane II are certainties to be added to the NRL in 2018, so that there can be four Queensland clubs, plus Melbourne, and Perth to choose from to allocate on the free to air games.

Pity that Wellington and PNG Hunters do not have an Australian audience because that means that they will not be attractive to Ch 9. But they should be attractive to NZ Sky and PNG TV, who could add money to the NRL coffers if those two non-Australian clubs are added to the NRL soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts