What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrlnrl

First Grade
One of the best things about locking 9 in is it stops Fox from putting together a joint bid with 10 after becoming a shareholder in them. I'm sure they would have been their preferred FTA partner. It will be interesting to see what happens with the AFL rights, it was a masterstroke getting in there early and striking a deal before the AFL. I'm sure there will be a very unhappy polo player in Melbourne tonight.

That's still to be approved by the ACCC

Saint69

Juniors
Andrew Webster came across as taking delight in this story. Does he normally sit outside & have graphics on his stories ? I don't read all his articles, but from my experience he's normally a bit more reserved than this.

He left News Ltd to go to Fairfax?

insert.pause

First Grade
Not much discussion of this on NRL 360. Kent just used it as a segue to the "clubs are unhappy" fake story

not surprising, foxsports don't know how to react, they are still coming to terms with it so no EP's will put it on the rundown, it's all pretty funny.

It's not a fake story, Kent likes to exaggerate it though with all the Super League 2 nonsense & hyping up the Melbourne chairman's meeting, but there's no doubt the clubs want more funding and three of them would burn the NRL to the ground if they had their way, but there's small extreme elements in most organisations.

nrlnrl

First Grade
not surprising, foxsports don't know how to react, they are still coming to terms with it so no EP's will put it on the rundown, it's all pretty funny.

It's not a fake story, Kent likes to exaggerate it though with all the Super League 2 nonsense & hyping up the Melbourne chairman's meeting, but there's no doubt the clubs want more funding and three of them would burn the NRL to the ground if they had their way, but there's small extreme elements in most organisations.

It seems like you like have a knowledge of tv when you use terms like rundown & EP's. I've heard rundown used by people on shows like PTI & occasionally out here. Sorry for the dumb question, but is it like a plan of what is going to be on a show ?

I didn't see the news on Channel 10 or 7 yesterday, how did they report the new deal with Channel 9 ? ( if at all )

To us outsiders we're only guessing what is going on in the big picture.

Tigers1986

Juniors
I just hope Fox get to show all 8 (or 9 pending expansion) live each weekend. It's an absolute joke how it is the ONLY professional football league in Australia that doesn't have all games live. Rugby, AFL and even the A-League is all live, so it's about time the NRL get all games live as well.

Channel 9 can simulcast it like 7 do with the AFL currently to accommodate those who don't have pay TV and want to listen to Warren and Gould's annocdotes.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Also to: Bgoodorgoodatit --- it could be a week, it could be 2 years before the rest of the packages are completed.

Thanks doc

I was actually not so much concerned with time frames as opposed to confirming what was still for sale from my list in my original post.

Cheers

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wouldn't be surprised to see Fox go low or not bid at all. Sounds crazy I know but reality is with 50% of games live FTA games a week, no exclusive Saturday and no Monday night the amount of people who will subscribe primarily for NRL is going to be extremely low. They are going to haemorrhage subscribers end of 2017 and not much they can do to stop it regardless of how much they pay. Only hope for them is simulcast and a ninth game so they have some relevance to the NRL fan. No one is going to pay what Fox charges to watch 50% of NRL games on same days as they can be watching games on FTA imo.

I think this was the position the ARLC wanted to put Fox in...

a) offer an average bid to only claim 4 games live and their base would derteriorate
b) lowball, and potentially get nothing, their revenue would evaporate overnight
c) pay up for all games live and they would still have something of value to offer customers

It could still go any way, but the NRL will be fine regardless. Itll be Fox that suffers
(Hell, worst case: if Fox lowballed and the ARLC chose to sell the rest to 10 just to spite Murdoch, itd still be fantastic)

insert.pause

First Grade
It seems like you like have a knowledge of tv when you use terms like rundown & EP's. I've heard rundown used by people on shows like PTI & occasionally out here. Sorry for the dumb question, but is it like a plan of what is going to be on a show ?

I didn't see the news on Channel 10 or 7 yesterday, how did they report the new deal with Channel 9 ? ( if at all )

To us outsiders we're only guessing what is going on in the big picture.

Yes, just sets out the agenda for the show, the rights deal with 9 was also conspicuously absent from Matty Johns Show last night.

insert.pause

First Grade
Thanks doc

I was actually not so much concerned with time frames as opposed to confirming what was still for sale from my list in my original post.

Cheers

I would be surprised if a deal wasn't done this year, the longer it drags out the more nervous shareholders get, and some individuals will also be very desperate to make amends to the godfather rather quickly.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I like that we have Fox over a barrell somewhat. They know that if they don't have any NRL they are completley f**ked in NSW and QLD. Regardless of the average house numbers also think of all the clubs and pubs that pay a ridiculous amount per month showing league to the public (i believe it's around $1k a month for pub) that would simly turn it off if they didn't have Rugby League to show. Uncie Rupes is gonna be wild I'll tell ya!!!!!!

Remember that its not just NSW and QLD....

Melbourne Storm were created (and subsidised by FOX) for a reason AND the almost exclusive access FOX has to them today isnt a coincidence either.

Melbourne obviously has a valuable market of expats and fans that dont have the FTA option. Losing the NRL would be catastrophic for Fox across the board.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'd doubt it. Mainly because 7 will be saving it's money for the AFL, whilst 10 has virtually no money. Foxtel has the money to spend and would be able to outbid 7, and 10.

It wont be as simple as Fox outbidding 7/10...

the ARLC will know FOXs capacity to bid and are in a position (thanks to the 9 deal) to give the rights away for nothing if only to spite Fox.

Fox is the NRLs big payday, but Fox need NRL more than the NRL need the Fox money.

insert.pause

First Grade
It wont be as simple as Fox outbidding 7/10...

the ARLC will know FOXs capacity to bid and are in a position (thanks to the 9 deal) to give the rights away for nothing if only to spite Fox.

Fox is the NRLs big payday, but Fox need NRL more than the NRL need the Fox money.
Nine are paying to be exclusive FTA broadcaster, the NRL would take a big hit if they tried to sell the other four games to another FTA network. Streaming would be the NRLs only real alternative to fox, and if worst comes they can get away with it for a season and bleed foxsports dry in 6 months at a time when Netflix will be well and truly entrenched as alternative to Foxtel's drama packages.
Im pretty sure its already been rejected.
It's still under review.

Card Shark

Immortal
Forgive me for not reading much through this big thread but is this yet another knee-jerk NRL decision to sign this deal so quickly & so early?

I heard a bit about it (negotiations) & next thing you know, signed, sealed & delivered.

Did they even test the water with other FTA networks? Have they left themselves high & dry with PayTV?

Forgive me for not reading much through this big thread but is this yet another knee-jerk NRL decision to sign this deal so quickly & so early?

I heard a bit about it (negotiations) & next thing you know, signed, sealed & delivered.

Did they even test the water with other FTA networks? Have they left themselves high & dry with PayTV?

I think this deal was a brilliant move by the NRL.

Foxtel is up sh*t creek if they don't come to the table and offer big money for the pay-tv rights.

NRL has all the leverage at the moment.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Well what other Pay TV company is going to pick it up if they don't?

What am I missing?

That FOX are dead without the NRL. They are losing subscribers to streaming services like Netflix and Stan, they need sport to set themselves apart and League is king in the most important markets. By getting in early and having the FTA signed off FOX cannot partner up with a FTA network like they have previously(this is what killed TENs bid last time), so now they have no choice but to pay up.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm loving talk of some finger pointing and anger over at News Ltd...

Some payback after decades of underpaying for the rights...

Hope Smith gave it to Gallop as well...

Smith - "That's how you negotiate a TV deal Dave.."

Gallop - "Umm...ah... but rugby league is only big in two cities and deserves much less than the AFL..."

Dave Smith has lunch with the men he said no to - including Rupert Murdoch

A day after getting right up the nose of Rupert Murdoch, NRL boss Dave Smith ended up having lunch with him.
Oh to have been a fly on the wall at posh Rose Bay restaurant Catalina on Tuesday afternoon when Smith joined the 84-year-old News Corp supremo and about 100 other heavy hitters.
Also in the room were Murdoch's son, Lachlan, and Fox Sports boss Patrick Delaney, who was said to be furious with Smith about the stunning $925 million broadcast deal between Channel Nine and the NRL announced on Monday morning.

Murdoch snr's not-so-secret soiree for News executives, key advertisers and media buyers had been organised well in advance of the Nine deal. But the timing of the lunch could not have been more intriguing.

Uncle Rupert arrived in Sydney on Monday to learn of the NRL's deal with Nine, which now places News' Fox Sports in an invidious position as it will now have to "pay through the nose" to ensure all eight league matches are broadcast live on the network from 2018.
"No, Dave wasn't the most popular person in the room," revealed one source who was present. "But they were all very professional."

Smith's counterparts from the other major codes – David Gallop from FFA, Gillon McLachlan from the AFL and Bill Pulver of the ARU – were also in attendance, no doubt shaking their heads in disbelief at Smith's stunning coup with Nine boss David Gyngell.
There was some speculation floating around that Nine's deal had been turbo-charged by Souths co-owner James Packer, whose late father Kerry knew better than anyone about the gold to be found in live sport.
Gyngell and Packer famously fell out a year ago, brawling before stunned onlookers at Bondi, but they have recently patched things up. Both Gyngell and Packer's representatives scoffed at the suggestion.
There is also much finger pointing happening at News Corp's Holt Street bunker, with most of them directed at former chief executive Kim Williams, who relinquished the media company's "first and last rights" to the NRL until 2027 when the last broadcast deal was struck.
He was being branded by some within News on Tuesday as "the man who just lost us rugby league".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rt-murdoch-20150811-giwt5d.html#ixzz3iXjJLsVa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts