What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

whall15

Coach
Problem with the 2pm and 4pm Saturday time slots in your proposal? That is when Channel 7 televises AFL. I don't know if the AFL TV deal stipulates it must be on the main channel or not, so it may not be possible.

True, though the AFL TV deal for the time hasn't been done yet.

The potential benefit would be an ability for 7 to sell national advertising for AFL in the southern states and NRL in the north.

gallagher

Juniors
I could see 7 being groomed for the Sunday night prime time...

No clash there...

10 could pick up the others...

Also ... The "main channel" argument is not worth anything...

7 shows the AFL now on 7mate in NSW and QLD so they could slot in NRL on the main station
Friday night AFL is on mate in Perth aswell. One of their strongholds.

whall15

Coach
I could see 7 being groomed for the Sunday night prime time...

No clash there...

10 could pick up the others...

Also ... The "main channel" argument is not worth anything...

7 shows the AFL now on 7mate in NSW and QLD so they could slot in NRL on the main station

Ten being part-owned by Fox would be a big problem.

Frankly if the ARLC offered 7 a package of 4 games a week, including a Sunday night game and a Saturday lead-in to their news + internationals + Nines I think they'd go for it.

(I don't think internationals have been included in the 9 deal, I may be wrong).

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ten being part-owned by Fox would be a big problem.

Frankly if the ARLC offered 7 a package of 4 games a week, including a Sunday night game and a Saturday lead-in to their news + internationals + Nines I think they'd go for it.

(I don't think internationals have been included in the 9 deal, I may be wrong).

I don't expect 9 to be a serious bidder on AFL, so for the same reasons I wouldn't expect 7 to carry 4 games of NRL ( unless they miss out on AFL to 10/Fox.

One game would be good though...

BuffaloRules

Coach
I cannot see Fox not buying it...

They are currently paying $110m per year - $550 mil for 5 years under the current deal...

As if they wouldn't pay $800-850 mil for all 8 games the next deal?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Another thought that occurs to me is that Rupert could put shed loads of money into rugby union (Super Rugby AND the Australian Championship that follows it) and try to undermine RL by headhunting talent to the other code.

You cant be serious.......... Can you?

Raiderdave

First Grade
The latest rumor going around is the NRL will off fox a 5th exclusive game through expansion ...
As Long as fox are prepared to bankroll the 2 new sides

Fox may be up for around a Billion dollars
That includes
Compensating 9
5 exlusive games
9 games simulcast
& about 200 million of that to ensure that 2 new teams dont impact the other 16 clubs financially

9 to pay 800 Million
NZ 150 million
Naming & online 150 million

Wow
Just wow :cool:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Channel 9 may have no control over the draw, but what's to say that Foxtel won't negotiate some control into their deal? What would happen if they offered crazy money to have every second Broncos game?

I highly doubt Ch9 will have no control. I would be very very surprised if Ch9 still dont get to pick the majority of games when they want them. You dint pay that sort of money and risk getting low drawing clubs in empty stadiums on a prime time slot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The latest rumor going around is the NRL will off fox a 5th exclusive game through expansion ...

That includes
Compensating 9
5 exlusive games
9 games simulcast
& about 200 million of that to ensure that 2 new teams dont impact the other 16 clubs financially

9 to pay 800 Million
NZ 150 million

Wow

Would be the ultimate irony if Fox ended up bank rolling two expansion clubs in Perth and Brisbane given the Superleague war and their role in closing down the Reds and Crushers!!

That includes
Compensating 9
5 exlusive games
9 games simulcast

9 to pay 800 Million
NZ 150 million

Wow

Sounds awesome on paper, if Smith & co can pull it off in reality then he's the best administration in rugby league history. It's about time News Limited pay up to rugby league for all there time undermining and underselling throughout there tenure. The constant conflict of interest which hurt the code for so long.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Matty Johns show members keep saying off the cuff statements like;

"dont mention the rights"

It obviously hasnt gone down well at Fox Central

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Unrelated but I've noticed every Fox NRL show this week has been pushing Foxtel Go a lot. Must be feeling the pressure from other streaming options

docbrown

Coach
Would be the ultimate irony if Fox ended up bank rolling two expansion clubs in Perth and Brisbane given the Superleague war and their role in closing down the Reds and Crushers!!

Weren't you the one falling for Rothfield's bullshit the other week before the 9 deal was signed & getting angry/whinging that expansion wasn't even discussed? You were totally incredulous when I said it was otherwise. Oh well.

Diesel

Referee
Does Shane Richardsons report now become redundant that the new TV deal with FTA has been signed? Not only was it expansion, but also rounds played, junior comps etc

Status
Not open for further replies.