What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smith only needs to wring $1.2 bill out of fox, Telstra and sky. We are the most popular sport on TV, we shouldn't accept yet another deal lower than afl.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Be nice if Fox/News corp could see the un tapped potential of RL in ADE, PERTH, etc...

We wouldnt need to convert every AFL fan, just chip away do what the lions and swans do, go after the counter culture , expats, etc

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Smith only needs to wring $1.2 bill out of fox, Telstra and sky. We are the most popular sport on TV, we shouldn't accept yet another deal lower than afl.
So why were you whinging earlier?

These pricks will pay for our next expansion, say thanks to uncle rupey for your new NRL team ya sad sack.

Last Week

Bench
Lol, naive mate. Of course it matters, you think the afl is going to put all this money away for a rainy day? No they are going to use it to make their game the number one code in Australia. Pay the media for coverage, pay schools to play the game, put more money into their marketing, more money to clubs for fan engagement etc etc. you think fl gets a cushy ride in new and Qland now, just you wait and see over the next few years.

You're such a f**king AFL troll.

The AFL have had absolutly every advantage here in NSW for so long in the media, they're already having Auskick clinics every chance they get. What are they going to do next? Introduce a Newcastle and North Queensland AFL team? f**king bring it.

They can keep flushing their cash down the toilet whilst pissing off their clubs with wasted cash on a fairy tale of national dominance.

I think you need to better appreciate my point, how do News make money from paying the AFL 266m annually? According to Thomson they will use News resources to grow the game in NSW & QLD, which he regarded as untapped potential for AFL. Now we all know that's blow-in bs, no one gives two shits about their silly sport and never have, but that is News Corps business rationale for such a big investment, and quite obviously they are betting on it to succeed at the expense of rugby league, hence less money for NRL and likely a NRL broadcast partner that has a direct interest in promoting AFL over NRL in nsw & qld. Whether any of it will work isn't really the issue, the issue is the AFL now will in all likelihood have leaped ahead of us again in broadcast revenue thanks to their second Kerry Packer. It's not alarmist to suggest that the massive deal for the AFL probably isn't a good thing for us.

Lol your whole hysteria meltdown is based on aflol propaganda .
The same propaganda they have been sprouting for 20 yrs .
Un tapped potential .
Lol
We have been hearing that bullshit for yrs .
Remember the Giants ,according to fumble logic no one in WS had heard of AFL .
No one owned TVs ,& ever got a chance to watch the swans play ,even though they were on FTA near every week .

They have sunk 100s of millions into the northern states ,corrupted the comp to ensure that the northern teams won Flags. Lol ..
& what do they have yo show for it ?

Yet you suddenly think there's truth in whatever these morons say .
Lol
Fair dinkum .

seanoff

Juniors
Why can't Channel 9 bid for all games?
Why can't Channel 9 develop a 24/7 rugby league FTA channel?

That would be awesome ... but what is stopping them

Umm. Commercial reality. They have a certain amount of bandwidth and licences for spectrum.

That spectrum currently has 9, 90, 99, 96 and 97.

They do not have the spectrum or the bandwidth spare. So which channel (s) do they drop and who pays.

Its free to air, therefore they have to sell advertising. To make it worthwhile they would have to can 90 or 99. A 24 hr nrl channel would be unsellable in adl, mel, perth. They'd be giving up a 4 share in advertising revenue.

For comparison fox footy is a 1.3 share and fox sports 1 is 0.8.

They would need to make sure that they wouldnt be giving up share because that would cost them $$$$$$$.

It would take a lot to convince them they wouldnt be giving up share. $$$$$$

taipan

Referee
Foxtel earns just under $1b in proft each year. Losing 100k subscribers from their 2.1 million subscribers isn't going to cost them anywhere near $400m.

I highly doubt 100k would even cancel their subscription, most would probably just get rid of the sports package.

Are you serious lose the NRL,and i would drop the lot tomorrow.$106.90 per month.And its not just the subscription base,its the advertising for the NRL slots which command a higher price due to eyeballs.

The driver for subs in the first place was rugby league.The highest number of rlsubscribers are in the northern states,where the population exists.

And I would seriously dropping my Australian subs $15 per week $750 pa.Small bikkies but small bikkies on an already dropping print base.I understand their prices are going up end of month.
Go ahead Rupert and make my day.:sarcasm:

insert.pause

First Grade
Lol your whole hysteria meltdown is based on aflol propaganda .
The same propaganda they have been sprouting for 20 yrs .
Un tapped potential .
Lol
We have been hearing that bullshit for yrs .
Remember the Giants ,according to fumble logic no one in WS had heard of AFL .
No one owned TVs ,& ever got a chance to watch the swans play ,even though they were on FTA near every week .

They have sunk 100s of millions into the northern states ,corrupted the comp to ensure that the northern teams won Flags. Lol ..
& what do they have yo show for it ?

Yet you suddenly think there's truth in whatever these morons say .
Lol
Fair dinkum .
did you even read what I said?

I said it's bullshit and won't happen but that is obviously their business rationale, from New York, which at this point looks like leaving us with significantly less broadcast money than the AFL, just when we were on track to exceed them.

It's not what I think, it's what New Corp blow-in executives obviously believe will make them money.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I reckon afl would make a good sport for women, might even watch it once a year if they televised it. Currently I watch none.

But since they got this big fat wad of cash from uncle rupey, Ima gonna convert, it's just too much for me to bare, anyone got a spare pair of their sisters shorts? Don't wanna feel over dressed on my first occasion being vicultivated.

T to the T

Juniors
For us late comers, what is the break up of this $2.5b?

KEY POINTS OF THE DEAL

$2.508 bIllion over six years from 2017.
$1.3 billion from News Corp. Foxtel (jointly owned by News and Telstra) to maintain rights for all nine games.
$300 million from Telstra to broadcast over its planned Telstra TV service and to handsets and digital devices.
News Corp will also have the right to sub-license a Saturday afternoon game, believed to be worth around $30 million per season.
$840 million in cash and $60 million in contra from Seven for an average of 3.5 matches per round free-to-air.

Cletus

First Grade
Shows Rupert has no judgement at all

Well he killed the NBN for him. I don't think anything has really changed with Rupert, he's just come out and said it. Fox and News have always favoured AFL despite it showing no signs of taking over in NSW and QLD.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
NRL at the moment ?

$925 M - locked in
$275 M - Telstra streaming, app etc (including naming rights)
$750 M - FOX
$50M TVNZ

Thats $2B - ($400 m a year)

$18M less than AFL per annum

AFL has to pay for about 180 more players for the comp to happen...

they be on min $100k ...

so all square...

Last Week

Bench
Really doesn't matter what the AFL get. They could get 10 times the amount of cash we get, they're still not going to be able to wipe us out and we will still proper.

We've faced more challenges than them and we've always won. Not survived, won.

We'll be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts