What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next up Rorters.

McGregor was more circumspect with his excuses today but the highlight was when the interview switched to Widdop.
What a pathetic performance as our team captain. Looked resigned and had nothing meaningful to say.
Was missing in action today and Keary made him look second rate until he got injured.
Just not captain material - don't understand why we persevere.
Give it to Frz or JDB but please stop trying to make Widdop something he's not.
What is particularly annoying is McGregor calling him "Gaz" and Widdop calling McGregor "Mary".
It's exactly that kind of familiarity that blurs the line between coach and player.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Call me a hard marker but I wouldn't have had him in the side last year either but many said he is Mr reliable & a club legend.
Fact is blind Freddie could see he wasn't up to the current speed & size of todays winger's.
No, I don't call you a hard marker. I agree with you.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Now is the time to step it up. Melbourne did on the weekend and Roosters too. They also had origin players too and they smashed us today. Either we improve or bow out quickly in finals. Roarters simply too good.

Aitkin defending timing is shocking. He has strength to utilize but non existent.

Nightingale tried but he has no strength or power running in our kick returns.

Lafai played like he was conceding the opposition were better!

McKinnes needs to run the ball more adding some unpredictability to our attach and make easy yards.

Hunt did a few good things but the rest of ourside backs were disappointing.

Our right side defence is a weakness and has been now for 2 years. All clubs are exploiting us there. Surely our coaches today and recruitmet for tomorrow know this requires immediate attention.
Well said.

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp-180729_gt_19.jpg

DRAGONS

Defence the Dragons' focus for final five
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 08:01 PM

Paul McGregor will focus on fixing St George Illawarra's leaky defence before the finals after the Dragons failed to limit their opponents to their target of 16 points or less for the third time in the last four matches.

The St George Illawarra coach has identified 16 points as the figure his players needed to restrict teams to give themselves a chance of winning matches this season but the Dragons succumbed 36-18 to Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium.

After scoring three converted tries, the Dragons would have won the game if they had been able to limit the Roosters to 16 points but one-on-one misses on the edges proved costly as Latrell Mitchell and Blake Ferguson caused havoc.

"Scoring 18 points should win you a game against a good quality side, but leaking in 36 ... you can't beat anyone doing that," McGregor said. "I thought our ruck control was quite good but our one-on-one misses were quite poor and that sums it up.

"Defensively, we have to be better. Last week we made 13 missed tackles and this week we missed 36."

The result followed a 52-30 loss to Melbourne and 20-16 defeat by Wests Tigers before last weekend’s 24-10 win over North Queensland.

Match Highlights: Roosters v Dragons - Round 20, 2018

St George Illawarra have also conceded more than 16 points in each of their other three defeats this season – a 20-12 loss to the Warriors in round seven, a 24-10 loss to South Sydney and in round 10 and 28-2 loss to Penrith in round 12.

Before the round-17 defeat to the Storm, they were averaging 15.6 points per match in defence but they have conceded 118 points in the past four games.

The Dragons' seventh loss enabled the Roosters to leapfrog them into third place on for-and-against as they now have a differential 46 points worse than the Tricolours.

And the Roosters, who have conceded just 263 points this season, have assumed the mantle of the best defence in the Telstra Premiership - a claim St George Illawarra were able to make before the representative period.

"It's a bit deflating isn't it," McGregor said. "The start of both halves weren't good enough, Individually we missed too many tackles and obviously paid the price. Every opportunity they got, they took and scored points.

"They were good, they came at us with speed and we didn't build any pressure, they did and when they did they scored. That was pretty much the game."

The Dragons face a Warriors side desperate to consolidate a finals berth next Saturday at WIN Stadium and McGregor will be looking for the team to start better than they did against the Roosters.

Our one-on-one misses were quite poor and that sums it up.

Paul McGregor
Starved of possession early in the match, their defence held for a while but once Mitchell crossed for the first try - a freakish effort in which he evaded three defenders to plant the ball in the corner - the floodgates opened.

Mitchell’s eighth-minute four-pointer was followed two minutes later by James Tedesco crossing from a Ferguson break and midfield kick before Cooper Cronk scored in the 23rd minute.

Ben Hunt kept St George Illawarra in the game when he raced out of dummy half to score on the last play before half-time but the second stanza was much like the first and Mitchell scored his second try in the 49th minute from a cross-field kick.

ah-maul-180729_gt_99.jpg

Dragons forward Leeson Ah Mau. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
The try came in the set after Dragons centre Tim Lafai had been bundled into touch 30 metres from his own try line.

Mitchell finished the match with a hat-trick, while Tedesco got his second try in the second half and Ferguson also crossed in the 71st minute.

Tries by Hunt in the 68th minute and second-rower Tariq Sims in the 76th minute reduced the deficit.

McGregor was disappointed in his team's defence out wide, with the right edge of Hunt (4), second-rower Tyson Frizell (1), centre Euan Aitken (5) and winger Jason Nightingale (2) missing 12 tackles, while the left edge of captain Gareth Widdop (4), Sims (4), Lafai (1) and winger Jordan Pereira (1) missed 10 tackles

"When you say the opposition has got individual brilliance, we have got some talent in our team as well and we have got to make the tackles," McGregor said.

"The edges need to make the one-on-ones when we need to and we have got to be around the bounce of the ball when it is kicked."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/29/defence-the-dragons-focus-for-final-five/

ouryears

Bench
McGregor was more circumspect with his excuses today but the highlight was when the interview switched to Widdop.
What a pathetic performance as our team captain. Looked resigned and had nothing meaningful to say.
Was missing in action today and Keary made him look second rate until he got injured.
What is particularly annoying is McGregor calling him "Gaz" and Widdop calling McGregor "Mary".
It's exactly that kind of familiarity that blurs the line between coach and player.
all so true, Widdop is just not what some try to make him out to be.
Not a captain, not a leader.....and not a good number 6

Parkway_Drive

Juniors

I think DeBelin should be your captain.

Always gives 100 percent and looks like a real leader the others will follow.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Certainly not happy about it nor smug, very disappointed to say the very least

But I told you about 7 weeks ago, when Penrith beat us, then Souths smashed us, then Melbourne, then Tigers, now RoRters.

And we were lucky to beat Parra and Grubs.

Widdop is no leader.
Mary is no coach.
And we ain't a good team.

Heart breaking.....

Spot on except for the Widdop thing.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Missed the game as I spent the afternoon at a baptism celebration.

Looks like the baby was not the only person who took a bath today.

Have just seen the highlights.

Latrell Mitchell is a beast however that was some of the poorest defence I have seen.

Flo and Aitken need a spell in ISP.

Would like to think it was just one of those games where we started badly and things went from bad to worse.

Suggest we forget this game and concentrate on the next game.

Don't think we can defend this badly again.

Saints have been declining since May.

aquiin

Juniors
Watched the game live and haven’t seen a replay yet.

I wasn’t impressed by Roosters. They hit massive flat spots during the game and had plenty of luck. There’s four tries that don’t happen in any other game, including refereeing mistakes during or in the lead up and mistakes by our players in others that we won’t see again. The players were clearly livid with the referees, especially Vaughn.

The crucial time was just after halftime. The crowd was nervous and quiet and we should have taken the opportunity. I think the focus on getting the ball to Dufty early was a clear issue with the direction of our play. And what I mentioned about the kicking in general play. The structure of our interchange needs to be looked at when we get to the finals. We need to create depth by making moves there. Also need to look at our pattern of play against fast moving defence, especially out of our own end. We looked like NSW.

Very few teams can match Mitchell at his best, we need to make sure the opportunities are limited by improving field position and pressure. Gagai may be the only one. Certainly not Chambers but their team defence is better. Whare maybe.

St Georgio

Juniors
These guys should follow Yawnion, because they belong in rich mans territory, $2500 bottles of wine every night , multiple women, really should we rejoice these people, I really don't understand, I thought league was for the true fighters!

This Year?

Immortal
What is this 16 points bullshit? Imagine the 2009-2011 side saying oh we've just conceded 2 converted tries but that's ok cos it's only 12 points.

No wonder we're f**ked.

slippery5

Juniors
Using this logic, Nightingale should have retired in 2007.
No, he should have retired at the end of 2016, I'm pretty sure the average winger in 2007 wasn't over 100 kilos, Jump for the high ball & could steam roll the opposition as they do today. Nighty's trade was built purely on competing & never say die attitude, something that withers with age, just ask Johnathan Thurston.

rednwhites

Juniors
If Roosters end up winning the comp, an investigation takes place, and it turns out to be another Storm cheating scenario I will give the game away. And I would hardly be surprised.

How one team can have Pereira, Nightingale and Lafai and the other can have the likes of Manu, Mitchell, Tupou, Ferguson on top of Tedesco is truly beyond me.

Crush

Coach
I thought exactly the same thing in that press conference. Widdop was like "they are a quality side and we weren't good enough"

I'd ask this question to see his reaction-
"Gareth, why is it every year at this time of year that you seem to go missing in the big moments, are you not the captain?"

Crush

Coach
Watched the game live and haven’t seen a replay yet.

I wasn’t impressed by Roosters. They hit massive flat spots during the game and had plenty of luck. There’s four tries that don’t happen in any other game, including refereeing mistakes during or in the lead up and mistakes by our players in others that we won’t see again. The players were clearly livid with the referees, especially Vaughn.

The crucial time was just after halftime. The crowd was nervous and quiet and we should have taken the opportunity. I think the focus on getting the ball to Dufty early was a clear issue with the direction of our play. And what I mentioned about the kicking in general play. The structure of our interchange needs to be looked at when we get to the finals. We need to create depth by making moves there. Also need to look at our pattern of play against fast moving defence, especially out of our own end. We looked like NSW.

Very few teams can match Mitchell at his best, we need to make sure the opportunities are limited by improving field position and pressure. Gagai may be the only one. Certainly not Chambers but their team defence is better. Whare maybe.
I watched the game live and also watched it recorded on tv (sucker for punishment, I know).
I was very impressed with Roosters. They were running, we were walking. Their heads were up, ours were down. They have big strong fast wingers that go looking for work and can break a game open, we do not.
Roosters are a fine team across the park, they will be hard to beat from here.

giboz71

First Grade
I thought exactly the same thing in that press conference. Widdop was like "they are a quality side and we weren't good enough"

I'd ask this question to see his reaction-
"Gareth, why is it every year at this time of year that you seem to go missing in the big moments, are you not the captain?"

Not that this should ever matter but dyeing his hair blonde has not really helped his leadership qualities.

Seems the hard edge we had at the beginning of the year is gone.

Perhaps it’s time to go back to his original hair colour and get serious again?

SaintPauli

Juniors
If Roosters end up winning the comp, an investigation takes place, and it turns out to be another Storm cheating scenario I will give the game away. And I would hardly be surprised.

How one team can have Pereira, Nightingale and Lafai and the other can have the likes of Manu, Mitchell, Tupou, Ferguson on top of Tedesco is truly beyond me.
And to top it off Next Year! They are also getting
1. Hall one of the best wingers in England
2. Crichton from South's one of the best forwards in the game today
3. Brett Morris barring injuries still in top 5 wingers in NRL.

How, how how the frig are the roarters doing this ? When Canterbury are letting so many go ?