What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL News of the day!

Big Mick

Referee

Raider_69

Post Whore
Im very pleased the Eagles have gone out and got someone for the O-line, he wont start i dont imagine but he's decent depth for an o-line that will need to play well if we are to win this year

dragonfire

Bench
Darren sharper.... FUUUUUU

no surprise there, he hasnt taken the field in any meaningful practice through TC and preseason. There was speculation that he would be cut outright and still maybe after week 6 but gotta hope his knee gets good enough to play on

mjk_898

Juniors
Darren sharper.... FUUUUUU

Big loss for the Saints - he's a real leader out there and will be hard to replace.

As sh*t as I think Leftwich is, it's going to be tough going from here with Dixon (if they go with him instead of Batch). Falcons first up - their defense has apparently been very much improved from last year.

Big Mick

Referee
Big loss for the Saints - he's a real leader out there and will be hard to replace.

As sh*t as I think Leftwich is, it's going to be tough going from here with Dixon (if they go with him instead of Batch). Falcons first up - their defense has apparently been very much improved from last year.

Thats why Dixon has to be the option.

The Steelers O-Line is dogsh*t.

They need someone mobile!..and Dixon is that. He'll be fine. I rate the kid.

Raider_69

Post Whore
the giants also picked up Shawn Andrews, waste of money
the eagles have put brother Stacy on the block too, which is no surprise, given they've aquired Wells from Arizona.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Tomlin really f**ked up having Leftwich line up behind the crappier o-line after Ben had his run. I think we will go down the conservative road and have Batch start over Dixon. It's a fluid situation though depending on which way the game is going. If we could put Batch's brain in Dixon's head it would be swell.

Monk

Referee
I don't get why Steelers fans are hating on Dixon, he played well when filling in for Ben last season and is a far better option then Leftwich.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I don't get why Steelers fans are hating on Dixon, he played well when filling in for Ben last season and is a far better option then Leftwich.

He'll could lose a game as much as he could win it, seems to get flustered at times, he's had a long time to grab the #2 spot, to get the confidence of the coaching staff and he hasn't done it.

Big Mick

Referee
Wow cut day was interesting!

The Cardinals released QB Matt Leinart. Everyone knew he'd been relegated to #2 but this outright release raised a few eyebrows. Apparently, the team felt Leinart wouldn't be able to accept the backup role. If anything, it makes sense from the aspect that he just didn't fit with what coach Ken Whisenhunt wanted to do. It's pretty interesting it would take this long for them to reach that conclusion but it is what it is. Derek Anderson obviously now is solidified as the #1 guy unless you have a lot of faith in Max Hall. If only Kurt Warner had Brett Favre's retirement attitude...

As we told you last night, the Seahawks cut WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh. The big upside here is it looks like Mike Williams will get a second chance to show what he can do. It doesn't hurt that he's reunited with his college coach where he was incredibly successful. For what it's worth, Chad Ochocinco has said he'd "lobby heavily" for the Bengals to sign Houshmandzadeh.

Washington released RB Willie Parker. This isn't a surprise but clarifies the RB rotation there where Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson will get bulk of the work.

The Giants have acquired QB Sage Rosenfels and will make him the #2 QB. It's not surprising that Brad Childress would allow Tarvaris Jackson to be a Brett Favre ankle tweak from your starting quarterback as he's Childress' guy. But I'd be very nervous as a Vikings fan. The Giants will waive QB Rhett Bomar.

The Dolphins released QB Pat White. This means Chad Pennington and Tyler Thigpen will continue to work as backups to Chad Henne.

The Buccaneers released WR Michael Clayton who we had projected for 5 receptions this year in Tampa. Not big news.

The Bengals cut WR Matt Jones. Again, not a guy expected to do anything this year.
It's not a player movement, but the Rams have surprised no one and named QB Sam Bradford the starter for Week 1. It'll be trial by fire but the young man has looked excellent thus far and the team is hoping the "Peyton Manning" style of throwing them in from the start will pay dividends.

And the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that the Steelers are leaning toward starting QB Charlie Batch and not Dennis Dixon in Week 1.

Big Mick

Referee
* VIkings not interseted in Housh - http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/09/04/eport-vikings-deny-interest-in-houshmandzadeh/?module=HP_headlines - Don't buy it

* Skins' release Willie Parker - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...rowded-redskins-backfield?module=HP_headlines - Shame...wonder if he is done now

* Dolphins release Pat White QB - http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/09/04/dolphins-end-experiment-cut-white/?module=HP_headlines - That's a shame really. He was small but had potential. Would rather him than Thigpen.

* Bucs release Michael Clayton - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-a-former-firstround-pick?module=HP_headlines - This is interesting. Big money to re-sign him...produced zero. lol

* Eagles Trade For DE/LB Barnes From Ravens - http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=21758&module=HP_headlines - Great move by the Eagles.

* Broncos, Lions swap second-year pros Smith, Gronkowski - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-players-smith-gronkowski?module=HP_headlines - dumb move by the Broncos to give up a first for this undersized corner. But he will help the Lions as they had a crowded TE group and zero talent at Corner - Will help there with Chris Houston and Dre Bly their only real options

* Round up of team's releases - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ers-to-reach-53man-roster?module=HP_headlines

Big Mick

Referee
Some other notable cuts:

* Baltimore QB Troy Smith - Very surprised by this. He'll latch him. Hopefully in Buffalo. He'd fit Chan Gailey's system

* Rhett Bomar - Surprised he was cut despite the signing of Rosenfels. I thought he played good football in the pre-season

* Buffalo WR James Hardy - Shocked at this. I know he wasn't performing, but didn't think he'd be cut. 2nd round pick cut...another great Buffalo pick. hasn't been the same since his knee injury

* Steelers cut C Justin Hartwig - SHocked at this despite having Pouncey. He'll get a job. Here's hoping Buffalo is on the phone right now.

Big Mick

Referee
Some strange cuts from the Eagles today:

* C A.Q.Shipley - I really rated this kid coming out of the draft. Not sure why he was cut.

* TE Cornelius Ingram - I know he's been injured, but noone can doubt the kids athletic ability. IMO they needed to hold him for one more year

* S Macho Harris - WTF? Really. At worst you keep him for depth behind Nate Allen don't you? Harris didn't play badly last year. Wonder why he was cut.