What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Team with League players

boxa777

Coach
Clearly im too pumped for the Fins match in 5 hours or so.. but have a crack at putting together a NFL team with league players only.

I've left Offensive and Defensive Lineman out as most league players aren't suited for that position. But the rest, using knowledge and traits on each of the NFL positions I have tried to find a suitable league player that would excel in that position given their own attributes.

Attack

Quaterback - Feleti MATEO (Hard position to judge but I think Mateo would have the arm strength to throw the ball. He would also have great ability to avoid defenders.)
Running Back - Michael JENNINGS (Umbelievable footwork and his solid build would be great at RB. Would be very hard to stop.
Fullback - Manu VATUVEI (Hasn't the best hands but has great speed and power running at the line and would be ideal for those short yardage requirements. Again, wouldn't need to catch the ball.)
Wide Receiver - Greg INGLIS (Probably the best athlete in league. Fits the WR prototype - tall and fast with brilliant hands. His ability to run and cut so effortlessly would be ideal for deep routes.)
Wide Receiver - Jarryd HAYNE (Brilliant hands and another effortless mover with good pace.)
Tight End - Israel FOLAU (Not as agile and quick for a WR, but would have great hands and a great ability to also block and beat a man with power.)

Defence

Linebacker - Jeremy SMITH (Has brilliant timing and would be a real rough-house LB defender.)
Middle Linebacker - Sonny Bill WILLIAMS (I've included a rah rah here as he is really is a leaguie. He would be a dynamite LB with his agility and punishing tackling.)
Linebacker - Matt COOPER (Has great speed and is a real defensive centre.)
Cornerback - Joel MONAGHAN (Has enough pace to keep up with the receivers' lines and good hands and height to knock down passes.)
Cornerback - Krisnan INU (Like Monaghan but I would also like his ability to make plays. He would be someone that could read the play and make interceptions.)
Safety - Wes NAIQAMA (Reads the game very well and at safety he would be able to use some of his bulk to make some hits to cause turnovers.)
Safety - Karmichael HUNT (Another who reads the game very well and would have the ability to hurt receivers once they catch the ball.)

Special Teams

Kick/Punt Returner - Billy SLATER (Honourable mention also goes to Matty Bowen but Slater would be dynamic returning punts or kick-offs with blockers in front creating the space.)
Kicker - Luke COVELL (Ordinarily I'd go for El Masri or Thurston, but their curling style is not suited to the straight kick in NFL. Covell has plenty of power and accuracy and comes in straight.)
Punter - Pat RICHARDS (Has a monster of a kick.)

All subjective. Have a crack..

QB- Lockyer
HB- Hodges (with Matt Bowen as my 1-2 punch Scat Back)
FB- Tuiaki
WR- Folau
WR- Inglis
TE- Mason (i guess thats where he wants to play right)

Offensive Line: noone in rugby league is big enough to be a OL imo but these guys would be the most likely: Shane Tronc, Josh Perry, Danny Wicks, Ben Hannant, Joel Clinton

DE: Anthony Tupou
DT: Dave Taylor
NT: Petero Civoniceva
DE: Sika Manu
OLB: Anthony Lafranchi
OLB: Glenn Stewart
MLB: Sam Thaiday
CB: Darius Boyd
FS: Karmichael Hunt
SS: Brent Tate
CB: Preston Campbell

Kicker: Hazem El Masri
Punter: Pat Richards
Kick Return guy: Billy Slater, Hodges, Bowen, Denan Kemp, Wesser or Brett Stewart could do this easily
Special Teamer: Steve Price (need him in there blocking punts/kicks)

coach

Offense

Quaterback - Darren Lockyer
Running Back - Sonny Bill Williams
Fullback - Manu Vatuvei
Wide Receivers - Greg Inglis & Brett Stewart
Tight End - Israel Folau
Tackles - Petero Civoniceva & Jason Ryles
Guards - Glenn Hall & Josh Perry
Centre - Luke Stuart

Defence (4-3)

Tackles - Joel Clinton & Ben Cross
Ends - Brent Kite & Jacob Lillyman
Outside Linebackers - Anthony Laffranchi & Roy Asotasi
Middle Linebacker - Tonie Carroll
Cornerbacks - Colin Best & Michael Robertson
Safeties - Ben Pommeroy & Matt Geyer

Special Teams

Kick/Punt Returner - Billy Slater
Kicker - Hazem El Masri
Punter - Cory Patterson

Big Tim

First Grade
This thread has been done to death.....

The only real possibility is Paterson as a place kicker, seeing as how he is getting coaching from ozpunt and went to the States to get some professional guidance.

Shorty

Staff member
I think Greg Inglis would make it in the NFL,he seems almost perfect for it to be honest.
Obviously he'd need more muscle but he'd be able to put it on.

Eelementary

Post Whore
All I know Is Nathan Hindmarsh would make a great linebacker imo. Maybe a tad too small but definitely has the strength, fitness, technique and work ethic.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Fuifui Moimoi would make a great fullback - 3rd and short, just give it to him and he'll crash over the line easily!

Johnny Smith

Juniors
This thread has been done to death.....

The only real possibility is Paterson as a place kicker, seeing as how he is getting coaching from ozpunt and went to the States to get some professional guidance.

Only if he stops playing Rugby League for a few years and actually learns the process.

He is so far away from the required standard it is laughable.

Noa

First Grade
When choosing rb & fbs keep in mind that that most are 6ft and under and in the case of fb, never over 6ft. So Boxa your choice of Manu as a Fb isnt realastic, same with the choice of hodges, way to tall and not agile enough, with muscle though he would make a TE. Manu would be best suited as a line-backer with his size and speed.

Same with CB', they are hardly ever over 6ft, in fact you'll see plenty at 5"7-5"8", and are usually the quickest on the team, so Joel Monaghan would never be considered in that postion, again he'd make a decent TE. Billy Slater, Matt Bowen, Brent Stewart are a few who would make nice covering Cb with there size and speed.

boxa777

Coach
When choosing rb & fbs keep in mind that that most are 6ft and under and in the case of fb, never over 6ft. So Boxa your choice of Manu as a Fb isnt realastic,

Fair enough on the RB side of things, I agree, hence my selection of Jennings. But for a fullback, Manu may be tall but it's more about the power running needed for the short gains that I was looking for.

Monk

Referee
"and its 3rd and short on the 27, Qb hands it off to big manu the Fullback and FUMBLED!!"

boxa777

Coach
"and its 3rd and short on the 27, Qb hands it off to big manu the Fullback and FUMBLED!!"

Could possibly happen although I think he's safe off a hand off.. But you won't see cause it's not on free to air..

KING1319

Juniors
You probably wouldn't be able to get an offensive line with league players but If I had to this is how my eligeble full squad would look like

Offense

QB Feleti MATEO would be a good strong qb
Jonathan Thurston, he plays madden so he understands the game and he has
good hands, could be a good scrambler, he has a very deceptive
fake pass/dummy(He's a bit too small but hes very intelligent and theres a few
small qbs out there, Pat white,Michael Vick,Drew Brees, and that new rookie)
Benji Marshall just for the hell of it

RB Matt Bowen - speed back
Willie Tonga - regular running back
Tanelia Tuaki - a powerback
Preston Campbell(used on wildcat plays,HELLLL small but look at Darren Sproles, Mojo Drew and Trindon Holliday)
Almost any nrl player can play rb they just might be crap at it
I wanted Jennings but I saved him for wr

FB Fui Fui Moi Moi, cos hes not too tall but powerful enough

TE Greg Inglis
Manu Vatuvaei abit small but he is tank
Jamal Idris maybe Timana Tahu

WR Israel Folau hes not too slow,he can jump(like Larry Fitzgerald)
Michael Jennings just like Desean Jackson
Jarred Hayne good hands and breaks tackles and tall enough
Lote Tuqiri dispalyed his jumping and catching when playing union

O-Line I cant be bothered with the Oline so off the top of my head

some realy big guys

willie mason -Josh Perry - nathan Cayless - George Rose - Jason Ryles
Shane Tronc Michael Weyman David Shillington ben cross

Defense

D-Line Fastser better tackling players
LE Anthony Watmough Ben Creah
DT/NT Petro civoneciva,Steve Price(good special teams guy blocks fgs)
RE
David Taylor

Linebackers Preferbly a 3-4 type defense cos I cant to have linebackers just good at one thing, rather than looking for complete players.If only Brett Kimmorely was big enough he wold be perfect cos hes defensive awareness and instintcs are superb.

Using Coverage linebackers on the left and Blitz linebackers on the right this is how my lineback corps would look like (I always forget which is strong side and which is weak side)

ROLB Sam Thaiday,Nathan Hindmarsh

MLB Greg Bird really smart, good for play recognition,
Dallas Johnson(for special teams, he will make tackles)
LOLB Ben Te'o(plays centre so he has a bit of speed and can tackle)

CB Darius Boyd not too fast but plays fullback so he can tackle
David Williams.OK maybe just for special teams remember his try saver
Krisnan Inu
Wes NAIQAMA

I was a bit lazy with the cornerbacks but I think Ive already used up the supreme athletes that would play corner on other positions

SAFETIES why did Kamakazi Hunt have to leave,I prefer full time-fullbacks

SS Luke Pattern very defensive fullback,good solid tackler
Justin Hodges good tackler with decent speed use to play fb

FS Billy Slater, cos hes the best pure fullback, he can cover all the mistakes the
slow cornerbacks make, especially with his speed
Kurt Guidely, smart enough to recognize plays

SPECIAL TEAMS

P Darren Lockyer, used to be fullback so he can be the reliable last man in defense on punts and pat Richards isnt in the nrl so thats why Darren is in.

K Luke Covell, nice straight kicker, suited to the nfl

KR Matt Bowen and Billy Slater

PR
Billy Slater

WILDKAT Preston Campbell or/and Benji Marshall

Overall My squad has not got enough people for a full season, but enough to be eligible for a match, a few player too undersized but tactically this team could work.Unlucky Brett Morris, didn't find were to squeeze him in, then again all he is good for is finishing tries

Monk

Referee
Jonathan Thurston, he plays madden so he understands the game and he has good hands, could be a good scrambler, he has a very deceptive fake pass/dummy(He's a bit too small but hes very intelligent and theres a few small qbs out there, Pat white, Michael Vick, Drew Brees, and that new rookie

all of the guys you listed there are 2ft taller then thurston.
and as for 'that' rookie, im not sure which one you are talking about, as they all are around the 6ft 3in mark

You cannot be a NFL QB at 5' 10

he plays madden so he understands the game

:lol:

KING1319 said:
RB
Preston Campbell(used on wildcat plays,HELLLL small but look at Darren Sproles, Mojo Drew and Trindon Holliday)

MJD is built like a brick house, Presto is a twig, even Sproles has a fair bit of muscle on him.

hellteam

First Grade
I'd love to see Inglis have a go at the NFL. If he got the ball at WR in open space no one would be able to tackle him with their bad tackling techniques.

Can just imagine Benji doing one of his jumping steps, the people in the crowd are thinking "wtf?" and then all of a sudden Patrick Willis just steamrolls right through him.

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: That'd be funny sh*t

Inglis is a guy i honestly think if he went over and lernt the game for a few years, he could be a very good NFL wr. No one else i can see has the skills, except for someone like Slater as a KR specalist

Latest posts