What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- 4th Cricket Test

antonius

Coach
Just getting this up ready for the start of play today. I am really looking forward to this. Might take an early mark from work and get home and settle in for what hopefully will be a successful farewell match for Steve Waugh. I think this series (So Far) has been one of the best home series for quite some time, and there's no reason to think this game won't add to it.

roopy

Referee
Steve Waugh was saying on the radio that the pitch looks like it will favour fast bowlers and that he will have to think about what to do if he wins the toss.

Usually it is a no brainer to bat first in sydney because the pitch is most likely to favour the spinners in the last innings, but it seems batting second might have its attractions this time around.

Doctor

Bench
Very exciting time for a long-time Steve Waugh fan such as myself - this is the one test match not to be missed, a series decider as well and a definative moment in Australian cricket.

Waugh's legacy will not be dependant on his performance in this match, but if you talk about fairytale endings, Waugh will make runs and Australia will win - let's just hope that things go smoothly this time around (compared to the injury in Melbourne).

Any early team predictions?
Assuming Gillespie is fit, I'll go with:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Waugh
Katich
Gilchrist
Lee
Gillespie
Williams
MacGill

I won't be at all surprised to see Bracken in there though - it would just be tough on Williams to be dropped twice in the series, the second time having bowled and fielded quite well in the previous test.

antonius

Coach
I think the team you've come up with will be it also, though I wouldn't mind if they kept both Bracken and Williams, and made Dizzy 12th man. On recent form dizzy will only last one innings, I'm losing count of how many games he has not finished, good bowler, but very fragile.

Doctor

Bench
If we're frustrated as fans, imagine how Gillespie feels as the player who lets his team and country down in more tests than not with injuries and stabbing pains in his ankles, knees, back, side, groin, shoulder, elbow, finger etc etc etc.

I feel sorry for the bloke, but I also feel sorry for Australian cricket because had he not been so injury-proned, he would have been a 300+ wicket bowler, perhaps one of the greats.

Bruce Reid had the same problem - meanwhile the rest of the bowling stocks find themselves either compensating for Gillespie's absence during the match, or being given temporary spots in the side while Gillespie is recovering, only to be dropped again on his return (i.e. Bichel).

If Gillespie makes it through the match then generally he is worth the effort - but only one innings from the big man with the mullet is going to continue to hurt the team.

antonius

Coach
Oswin said:
If we're frustrated as fans, imagine how Gillespie feels as the player who lets his team and country down in more tests than not with injuries and stabbing pains in his ankles, knees, back, side, groin, shoulder, elbow, finger etc etc etc.

I feel sorry for the bloke, but I also feel sorry for Australian cricket because had he not been so injury-proned, he would have been a 300+ wicket bowler, perhaps one of the greats.

Bruce Reid had the same problem - meanwhile the rest of the bowling stocks find themselves either compensating for Gillespie's absence during the match, or being given temporary spots in the side while Gillespie is recovering, only to be dropped again on his return (i.e. Bichel).

If Gillespie makes it through the match then generally he is worth the effort - but only one innings from the big man with the mullet is going to continue to hurt the team.
Took the words right out of my mouth Sam, I was a huge Bruce Reid fan, his career was tragic, if he could've avoided injury he would have been up with the othe WA fast bowlers to play test cricket, the bloke was so bloody skinny, no wonder those bones and muscles gave out all the time, there was nothing holding them together.

Is there a bowler in the world that gets people out off no-balls more than Brett Lee? He's intimidating the batsmen, but what's the point if he's constantly no-balling? At least he's slowed down and cut out the once an over boundary delivery.

Katich drops Sehwag next ball after Gilchrist forgets to appeal the first time he nicked one.

antonius

Coach
I didn't hear the teams, but Bracken is bowling (and causing a few probs for Sehwag, as he does) so I assume Williams missed out.

antonius

Coach
0 for 113, India are rolling along after a very scratchy start. What appeared to be a catch not given, Catch off a no ball, Katich drops one.

les norton

First Grade
astrogirl said:
Heading out to the ground shortly, can't wait for play to begin!!!

Have fun...i had a ball at the boxing day test, although i am completely jinxed...i didnt see one wicket, i was in the toilet for the first, beer for the next and cracked the shits and left...heard a scream from the mcg for tendulkars duck as i was walking to taxi rank...DAMN IT!!

anyways have fun astro!!

The_Ben

Juniors
I'm at the cricket tomorrow and Sunday. Woo hoo!!!

Drinking all day tomorrow, 21st party on Sat night and then back at the SCG on Sunday with my rugby club for more beers in the sun all day. I'll even get to see Steve Waugh bat in those days I believe.

astrogirl

First Grade
les norton said:
astrogirl said:
Heading out to the ground shortly, can't wait for play to begin!!!
Have fun...i had a ball at the boxing day test, although i am completely jinxed...i didnt see one wicket, i was in the toilet for the first, beer for the next and cracked the shits and left...heard a scream from the mcg for tendulkars duck as i was walking to taxi rank...DAMN IT!!

anyways have fun astro!!
Thanks les, had a great day. I actually saw a couple of wickets. Missed one when I was talking to a mate. Your luck with seeing wickets is not good! The couple of hours after lunch were a bit slow, plus my attention span isn't great at the best of times and had also started drinking breezers at the insistence of the blokes I went with (I refuse to drink beer), which didn't help! Wasn't that long till they switched to breezers too :shock: bit embarassing going to the bar and asking for 4 breezers...

The_Ben said:
I'm at the cricket tomorrow and Sunday. Woo hoo!!!
Have a great time Ben :D

Latest posts