What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- 4th Cricket Test

astrogirl

First Grade
I have a question that is slightly off topic (hope no one minds).

Does Billy Bowden have arthritis? I thought he said that when interviewed a few days ago, but now I am starting to doubt myself as no one here at work seems to think that that's the case. Am I making stuff up?

Terminator

First Grade
Its in his index finger, note when he gives someone out the kink halfway up it, it ended his Ist class career.

antonius

Coach
Well we now have the ingredients for the fairy tale finish Waugh is in, can he win it for us? I very much doubt it, the run rate is now up around six.

The Colonel

Immortal
Up around six and falling since Martyn gone (just a little but). Still have to score at just under a run a ball. Acheivable as Kumble has to rest at some stage.

antonius

Coach
Still only 3 down. and with Gilly sitting in the wings, who knows, it is a big ask, then again if they are close after tea and still only 3 down they may have a dash at it, if they are going after it, I'd have Gilly in next drop, if we lose him then that leaves Katich and the other batsman to battle for the draw.

Andy

First Grade
Hmm... I'm going to go against us and say India will win. Waugh's form has been pretty average over the series and I don't think we've got enough time.

In saying that though, I would love to be wrong. #-o

The Colonel

Immortal
There is a chance however the scoring has slowed a little. If we can get to tea over two hundred and only 3 down they may have a shot but its looking like they are playing for the draw. Unusual with Ponting and Waugh in but I suppose we wait and see.

Encurly

Juniors
Waugh 14, Ponting just out for 47. 4/196 - I'd say any chance of a win has gone now - just have to survive 38 more overs.

The Colonel

Immortal
Its not looking good now.

Steve is on 16 and Ponting was just out for 47. Unless Katich and Waugh can get fired right up its a save the game for Steve I think. Mind you it has been a series of twists....

astrogirl

First Grade
Australia RR 3.54
Required RR 6.51
37 overs remaining

Maybe the possibility of winning is worse than remote...

Doctor

Bench
Australia just needed a couple of extra wickets in hand to give it a shake. The issue is that all India needed to do was push every player to the boundary and give them a single every time. Australia required 11 or 12 runs at over for more than 10-12 overs at one stage there - they gave it a bit of a go but worked out it was near-impossible.

Waugh's finale was one of the great sporting moments. Indian players congratulating him, Waugh walking off to the cheers of the crowd, then the post-match speech and lap of honour for him. They had an A-list party for him last night with cricketers, ex-cricketers, other sporting stars, and dignitaries like the PM - very special moment it seems.

antonius

Coach
Didn't you just love Billy Bowden, running around giving everyone a fuzzy cuddle!!!!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great series, great final day. The win wasn't meant to be, but the game and the event will be remembered for all the right reasons. Well done done Steve Waugh, it'll be a long time coming before we see another like you.

Doctor

Bench
Billy Bowden's cuddle with Steve Waugh was really funny. Steve went to shake his hand (having just completed a very honourable handshake with Steve Bucknor) and reached out his hand to Bowden in a similar way for a kind but firm handshake. Billy took the hand, then pulled Waugh closer and went straight for the hug - I don't think Steve Waugh, in 18 years of Test cricket, can say he has been given a cuddle by an umpire. :lol:

Bowden was giving our hugs like they were coming back into fashion as opposed to going out - he was keen as mustard to pat backs, squeeze arms, I was almost preparing myself for the first umpire-to-player kiss in Test cricket. Very lovey-dovey wasn't it - almost like he was a player. :lol:

As for Waugh's retirement - as I said it was a special moment in Australian sport. After years of watching him play, supporting him through the highs and the lows, it brought a tear to the eye to see him given a great send-off.

And he will be in Newcastle on Friday for the NSW VS Victoria match at No.1 Sportsground.

Latest posts