What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- Young Drivers

~bedsy~

First Grade
Buderus assists driving campaign
Wednesday, 8 September 2004
334206.jpg

TAREE has enlisted the help of one of their favourite sons in the production of a campaign to target young drivers and speeding.

Newcastle Knights and New South Wales State of Origin captain Danny Buderus is the spokesperson for the local 'Don't Lose It!' campaign.

The campaign, part of Taree's Arrive Alive project, aims to get across the very important message that too many young lives are lost on the road due to speeding.

Danny has been working closely with Greater Taree City Council's youth development officer Deb Steele and a team of nine young people.

The team has been meeting weekly to work on designing the television, radio and poster campaign targeting young drivers and speeding.

Filming has been completed and the campaign will go to air from September 25.

"The support from the community in terms of making the advertisement has been fantastic," Ms Steele said.

"The Arrive Alive Team thank friends and parents who have provided the use of their homes, cars and hours on the weekends to assist with the filming.

"Thanks also to council staff assisted with traffic control and the Taree Police and local businesses who have committed to providing assistance and support for the project launch."

The committee is now focused on coordinating the Cruze Fest - a youth focused music event to launch the Arrive Alive campaign on September 25 at the Taree PCYC.

The Cruze Fest will feature local talent contesting a Battle of the Bands competition.

The event will commence at 4pm and will be a great night of music, fun and giveaways promoting the road safety message.

I just saw this add the other day. I knew it would air in Port Macquarie as well.
I'm was really dissapointed to hear that a P plater dies every 6 days in NSW and 17 will crash every day.
Something needs to be done and I agree with the curfew. If it's going to save our youth then why not. Before you say what about work? what about emergancies? They won't get done for it.
I just feel we need to do something quick.

What do you guys think of the curfew or what other ideas is there?

Razor

Coach
Something needs to be done and I agree with the curfew. If it's going to save our youth then why not. Before you say what about work? what about emergancies? They won't get done for it.

A lot of 14-16 year olds work as well, and they aren't licensed. They get lifts or use public transport. I worked at Suncorp Stadium and often finished at midnight after the last train to my area and where there was no parking, so always organised lifts to and from.

A lot of 17-25 year olds are unlicensed as well.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Well get your parents to pick you up... mine always did.
If your still at home that is.
Lokk I'm just trying to look at ways to save these kids lives. If an unlicenced person doesn't live at home then they could try and get an exemption for their freinds to pick them up.

Razor

Coach
bedsy said:
Well get your parents to pick you up... mine always did.
If your still at home that is.
Lokk I'm just trying to look at ways to save these kids lives. If an unlicenced person doesn't live at home then they could try and get an exemption for their freinds to pick them up.

That's what I was saying. I was agreeing with you. Lots of people organise things now, so it wouldn't be a difference. I'm 25 and couldn't drive or use public transport to work, and always managed to organise lifts with different people. If people can't they can use taxis

~bedsy~

First Grade
Oh ok yeah.
Well if there on a pretty good wage there is no reason why they can't take a taxi.

TooheysNew

Coach
Country towns - a taxi from my house to work would cost me 30 bucks. Makes it not even worth it going in to work.

I work nights, and don't live at home. My parents aren't going to take me, and why should I expect them to - I needn't burden them with driving me in and out when I can perfectly well drive myself.

Organising lifts is out of the question as well, because I'm the only person within km of my job when i finish, and being a country town people aren't out all night to give lifts.

I guess what i'm trying to say is maybe exemptions for country towns, or a variation to the rules being suggested.

northey

First Grade
Country towns - a taxi from my house to work would cost me 30 bucks. Makes it not even worth it going in to work.
totally agree!

>>> as awlays i will refer to a mark hughes artical >
sep 5th 2002

reversing out of our drive way at home seems like a simple task......between the two of us we are in and out of there about 6times aday.......i have beena passenger while danny is reversing out there have been numerous occasions where he treads dangerously close to the obstacle. i have given him countless warnings which he shruggs off "nah, plenty of room"
well yesterday morning there was a water works spectacular in our front yard........ danny running around frantically waving his hands yelling "what do i do, what do i do??

now don't forget the time when danny was on holidays on the gold coast and crashed his car and was hurt!

~bedsy~

First Grade
Dilmah said:

I work nights, and don't live at home. My parents aren't going to take me, and why should I expect them to - I needn't burden them with driving me in and out when I can perfectly well drive myself.

Organising lifts is out of the question as well, because I'm the only person within km of my job when i finish, and being a country town people aren't out all night to give lifts.

I guess what i'm trying to say is maybe exemptions for country towns, or a variation to the rules being suggested.
I agree with exemptions when you have to work... I have no probs with that.

deedles

Juniors
i dont agree with the curfew or the limit on the number of passengers. im a 19 year old p-plater and i live at uni in newcastle while my parents live in sydney. pretty much everyone who lives here is a p-plater and i often finish work after midnight or end up going into town to pick up friends who've been drinking. quite a few people have made the point that p-platers just wont wear their plates when driving. also with the restriction on the number of passengers, thats just not good, i often drive international students to do their shopping or drive a group to the football. its just going to make my life so much more difficult and you cant have exemptions like work or the like because people will just use it as an excuse when they get caught

TooheysNew

Coach
I agree with exemptions when you have to work... I have no probs with that.
Yeah, but people around here, including local politicians, have been saying that there should be no exemptions, even under exceptional circumstances.

end up going into town to pick up friends who've been drinking. quite a few people have made the point that p-platers just wont wear their plates when driving.

Exactly. Restricting the drivers is only going to cause them to find ways around the law.

Think of it this way, would u prefer a sober, responsible, albeit p-plater driver on the roads, or a drunk irresponsible full license driver.

Andy

First Grade
If Paul Keating had his way, we'd all be walking.

The whole idea is stupid.

If you get your P's, you can drive. End of story.

Razor

Coach
quite a few people have made the point that p-platers just wont wear their plates when driving

Not if they do the same checking they do now.

People who are on a provisional license(due to too many points) and can't drive after 7:00pm or people who lose their license (in QLD if you pass the 9 pts you can choose either 12-month provisional license or 3-month suspended license). They get caught now because of random license checks. If they're caught driving outside their hours allow or have the license suspended they get in serious shit - provisional license holders get their license suspended for 12 months plus a very hefty fine. Driving unlicensed gets their suspension doubled plus a very hefty fine.

People don't need to use L or P plates here in QLD. But I believe in NSW they do, so if they drive without them on, they'll be caught at times.

Razor

Coach
Think of it this way, would u prefer a sober, responsible, albeit p-plater driver on the roads, or a drunk irresponsible full license driver.

Driving drunk is illegal, so that's not a good example since they also want P-Platers driving at night illegal. Doing the comparision would be to compare P-platers driving at night with something that is currently legal.

I've been involved in 5 car accidents in my 6 years on the road - None of them my fault, all the other driver. All 5 of the other drivers are P-Platers; 3 of them happened during the day, the other 2 at night.

TooheysNew

Coach
Razor said:

Driving drunk is illegal, so that's not a good example since they also want P-Platers driving at night illegal. Doing the comparision would be to compare P-platers driving at night with something that is currently legal.

I've been involved in 5 car accidents in my 6 years on the road - None of them my fault, all the other driver. All 5 of the other drivers are P-Platers; 3 of them happened during the day, the other 2 at night.

Ok fair point, bad example. Change drunk for slightly intoxicated but still under the limit... What im trying to say is just cause your young doesnt mean you're a bad driver. I've seen some people drive home from the pub still under the legal limit but who cannot control the car. Id prefer a p plater driving them around, than for them to do something stupid and kill someone.

I realize there are some bad drivers that are p platers, but there are also drivers on unrestricted licenses that can't drive either. I've been on my p's for 3 years and have never had an accident. Many of my mates are the same.

If anything i believe the driving tests to get your ps should be changed to become even more thorough than they already are, and if u prove u can drive throughout those tests then away u go, you've earned your license and should be treated no different to anyone else.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Andy said:
If Paul Keating had his way, we'd all be walking.

The whole idea is stupid.

If you get your P's, you can drive. End of story.

Yeah it will be end of story when you crash and die. The statistics dont lie, more and more young people are dying in accidents due mainly to lack of experience, and quite often the fact they think they are invincible so they will take more risks. I have just done a huge research assignment on this very topic at Uni.
Curfews and restriction of passengers have worked in New Zealand and most states of the USA including California. The number of accidents that have been prevented because of this is staggering.
Statistics show that when young people are involved in an accident, it is mostly between the hours of 8pm and midnight. Surely then it makes sense to stop them driving during this time.
There are however, other options that would go with this. Increased driver education programs for people before they get their P's would be one. Making them take a defensive driver course and other such courses. I know its probably easy for me to say all this, as I am 28 years old. However, I didnt get my P's until I was 20....why? Because I didnt feel I was ready and responsible enough to drive.
Something needs to be done, and soon, otherwise it could be your best mate who dies next.

Andy

First Grade
I was a P plater too.

I got through it fine. What's so different about the youth of today?

If they're putting the accidents down to a lack of experience, then banning them from driving at night isn't going to give them any more experience is it?

A stupid idea obviously spawned by someone's over protective mum.

astrogirl

First Grade
I'm 27 and a confident driver. However, if I were ever put to the test I am sure my defensive driving skills would not be very good.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Do courses really help?

As for the issue about restrictions on young drivers such as curfews and passenger restrictions - if the stats say that putting these in place will reduce the road toll then I am all for it. Provided the restrictions are not too prohibitive.

Kaz

junior
They should just walk. Or buy a pushbike. ;-)

The youth today are just bone lazy. :lol:

Andy

First Grade
I'm not saying this is the way t do it, or in any way condoning my past behaviour, but the reason why I've been able to avoid death, or a more severe accident a few times in my life, is by being a hoon in my younger years.

I grew up racing go karts and even formula ford when I was a teenager. Learning to handle a car at high speeds and avoiding crash traffic was a big help when I started driving on the road. When I got my licence, I used to drive like I was Ayrton Senna. In and out of traffic, usually exceeding the speed limit by 10-20kms most of the time. Got into a few close calls, but from those experiences, I learned what to do to avoid having a big stack.

I now drive for a living. I'm a travelling sales rep. It was only a few months ago, I was driving out towards Dubbo for business. It was very early in the morning, 5a, and visibility was poor, when a big kangaroo jumped into the path of my ute. Had it not been for my, what some people may call, "reckless" driving habits as a teen, I wouldn't have been able to avoid a serious, if not fatal car crash.

Basically as I swerved, the roo hit the side of my car, and then went under the rear right-hand wheel. This flicked my ute onto the gravel and into a spin. At 120km/h, this is quite scary. If I'd tried to steer opposite to the direction I was spinning, I would have ended up skidding into the embankment of the other side of the road and most likely died. However, I tried to keep the wheels pointing through the spin and managed to avoid 2 large trees on the side of the road. My ute ended up crashing throuhg a wire fence and in a cow sheep paddock, but I was fine.

I bent a rim and dinged a few guards and twisted the chassis, but managed to change the bent rim with my spare and was able to drive into town for repairs. They guy in the car a few hundred metres behind me was amazed that I didn't end up flipping my car or hitting the trees or the embankment.

What needs to be done with these young kids is some sort of high speed driving course, or an accident prevention course. Not banning them from driving. That's just stupid.

astrogirl

First Grade
I agree that kids should be given a chance to learn by doing because I think that's the best way.

However if there are compelling statistics that point to a lot of accidents occurring at certain times, or due to too many passenger distractions, then I think that restrictions should be considered.

Latest posts