What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Sood

Juniors
Who you guys think will win what?

My tips are -

Hart Trophy: Ovechkin
Lester B. Pearson: Ovechkin
Vezina: Nabokov
Norris: Lidstrom
Calder: Kane
Selke: Datsyuk
Lady Byng: Datsyuk
Jack Adams: Boudreau

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Don't know really, haven't followed the entire season. But they are usually pretty close. But I reckon Nick is hands down to win his! haha

aphelion

Juniors
Nah, don't like the goalies. They are no fun! haha

Say what?! Goalies are the sports' true characters! How can you not love someone like Ed Belfour or Mikka Kiprusoff?

Even though Teemu Selanne is my favourite player, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the European Ballerinas (as I once heard them described as).

I prefer older, grittier players. Don't mind pests occasinally either. Sean Avery is good value.

A quick namedrop:
Rod Brind'Amour
Brendan Shanahan
Derian Hatcher
Wade Redden
Dion Phaneuf
Ryan Smyth
Chris Simon (before he went mental. He owned back in his Capitals days)
Brad Richards
Scott Stevens
...just off the top of my head...

Monk

Referee
Marty turco and Mike Modano are my favs, even Lentinen is gold... used to like jason arnott till he pissed off...

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Say what?! Goalies are the sports' true characters! How can you not love someone like Ed Belfour or Mikka Kiprusoff?

Even though Teemu Selanne is my favourite player, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the European Ballerinas (as I once heard them described as).

I prefer older, grittier players. Don't mind pests occasinally either. Sean Avery is good value.

A quick namedrop:
Rod Brind'Amour
Brendan Shanahan
Derian Hatcher
Wade Redden
Dion Phaneuf
Ryan Smyth
Chris Simon (before he went mental. He owned back in his Capitals days)
Brad Richards
Scott Stevens
...just off the top of my head...

Agree with the ones I highlighted, they were some of my faves overall.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Marty turco and Mike Modano are my favs, even Lentinen is gold... used to like jason arnott till he pissed off...

Yeah Modano was awesome as was Lentinen, fantastic to watch. Oh yeh Arnott, was pretty good, but yeh when he went to the Devils think it was, I wasn't impressed.

FTR, while Detroit are my fave team over all I do keep an eye on a few other clubs which are:
Aves,
Stars
Sabres
Blues

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
No probs!

What you guys reckon when the league expanded to add the teams like Columbus and Atlanta? I was against it initally thought it had already too many teams.

Monk

Referee
well if you are talking about how in the 90's all those teams came in ( i did not support hockey then), then the late 90's with the wild, thrashers, blue jackets and predators. i just assume that it was to have a broarder comp and hence increased profits. i turned out to be a good move i think. i didnt really start following NHL till about 05.

Skeletor

Juniors
No probs!

What you guys reckon when the league expanded to add the teams like Columbus and Atlanta? I was against it initally thought it had already too many teams.

I never thought they had too many teams, in fact if anything they need more. There is without a doubt 24 forwards, 12 D-Men, 2 starting goalies and 2 backups capable of playing in the NHL right now who aren't. They're either playing in Sweden/Russia/Finland (of which 90% would come to the NHL) or playing in the AHL, Canadian Juniors or still in College (of which almost all would take a spot in the NHL). That's two expansion teams right there.

The main reason the league expanded so many times in the 90s was due to the fall of the Iron Curtain which meant far easier movement for players from Russia, The Czech Republic, Slovakia and Finland, which meant a huge number of instantly NHL-ready players with no teams yet to go to.

Every team in the league sold at least 80% of its seats last season. Every team!

Lastly, why pick on the "newer" markets? Boston - an original six team - was 5th last in attendance. Washington (even with Ovechkin and a division title) and Los Angeles were all in the bottom 10 and they've been around since 1967. The Islanders (also around since 1967) were dead last! If you complain that these teams were awful and didn't deserve good attendance (a very tenuous case in the case of Washington and Boston who both made the playoffs, might I add), then neither did most of the newer markets in the bottom 10: Phoenix (second last, 8 points out of the playoffs), Columbus (3rd last, 11 points out of the playoffs), Florida (6th last, 9 points out), Atlanta (9th last, 18 points out). Also, a perennial playoff contender at a brand new arena with a massive 25th anniversary promotion going on last season (New Jersey) finished 23rd. 8th last! Nashville was 4th last but remember that team was gutted in the off-season (losing Hartnell, Kariya, Forsberg, Timonen and Voukoun from last season's roster) and had plenty of fans thinking "Why bother. the team is moving anyway."

Last edited:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
So how many of these have proved successful? Perhaps the 'Canes and Ducks were the most recent I can think of and even the Lightning, considering they were one of t he league's big cellar dwellers. But none of the others have really stood up and been counted for.

Sood

Juniors
ok, my fav team is the stars
my other favs are
Leafs, Wings.

I hate the Stars & Modano. The oilers are my second team, so I think that explains where the hate comes from. lol.

You guys knocked the oil out, what, 5 playoffs in a row was it?

Last edited:

Sood

Juniors
The oil are pretty crap these days, but least they got a young team on the rise.

The leafs though.... they are just rabble.

I reckon Sundin is gonna go somewhere next season to try win a cup. Red Wings could help him out with that. :D

Latest posts