What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Skeletor

Juniors
Turd, but a great D-man.

Since listing out favorite players was a bit of a thing earlier, I'll list mine:
Sakic
Forsberg
Roy
Foote
Drury
Stastny

Non-Avs
Scott Stevens
Evgeni Malkin
Sundin
Iginla
Kipper
Rick Nash

As for expansion, if they do expand the following cities will be in play I think: Houston, Portland, Seattle (although it would require a new arena), Las Vegas, Kansas City, Hamilton (Ontario Canada...although they would have to pay money to the Leafs and Sabres to compensate for the territory these teams are losing), Winnipeg, Quebec City. Also Cleveland, Hartford and Halifax Nova Scotia might put in long-shot bids.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Turd, but a great D-man.

Since listing out favorite players was a bit of a thing earlier, I'll list mine:
Sakic
Forsberg
Roy
Foote
Drury
Stastny

Non-Avs
Scott Stevens
Evgeni Malkin
Sundin
Iginla
Kipper
Rick Nash

As for expansion, if they do expand the following cities will be in play I think: Houston, Portland, Seattle (although it would require a new arena), Las Vegas, Kansas City, Hamilton (Ontario Canada...although they would have to pay money to the Leafs and Sabres to compensate for the territory these teams are losing), Winnipeg, Quebec City. Also Cleveland, Hartford and Halifax Nova Scotia might put in long-shot bids.

Agree with some of those, they were a few of my faves too

Sood

Juniors
Who you guys think will win what?

My tips are -

Hart Trophy: Ovechkin
Lester B. Pearson: Ovechkin
Vezina: Nabokov
Norris: Lidstrom
Calder: Kane
Selke: Datsyuk
Lady Byng: Datsyuk
Jack Adams: Boudreau

Ahh i was close. 7/8. Brodeur won the Vezina.

I reckon Mike Babcock would have won the Jack Adams had the playoffs been counted.

Ovechkin > Crosby

Monk

Referee
http://sportsline.com/nhl/story/10860846

The following are the winners and finalists for this year's NHL awards:

Hart Memorial Trophy
Awarded to the league's most valuable player
Winner: Alex Ovechkin, LW, Washington
Analysis: With his league-leading 65 goals and 112 points, Ovechkin led the Capitals to a Southeast Division title. In addition to scoring the most goals since Mario Lemieux in 1995-96, the Russian played a role in 47 percent of Washington's goals. He also led the NHL in power play goals (22) and game-winning goals.
Runners-up: Evgeni Malkin, C, Pittsburgh; Jarome Iginla, RW, Calgary All-time winners

Calder Memorial Trophy
Awarded to the league's most oustanding rookie
Winner: Patrick Kane, RW, Chicago
Analysis: Kane finished the season as the league's top-scoring rookie with 72 points (21 goals, 51 assists). The first overall pick in 2007, Kane began his career with 16 points in October, the most by a rookie since 1992-93.
Runners-up: Nicklas Backstrom, C, Washington; Jonathan Toews, C, Chicago All-time winners

James Norris Memorial Trophy
Awarded to the league's most ounstanding defenseman
Winner: Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit
Analysis: Lidstrom, who has been nominated nine times for this award in the past 10 years, captures his sixth Norris. The 38-year-old finished fourth among all players in average ice time (26:43) and led defensemen with 70 points (10 goals, 60 assists). He finished second in plus-minus with a plus-40 rating.
Runners-up: Dion Phaneuf, Calgary; Zdeno Chara, Boston All-time winners

Vezina Trophy
Awarded to the league's most outstanding goaltender
Winner: Martin Brodeur, New Jersey
Analysis: Brodeur wins the Vezina for the fourth time in career after recording his third straight 40-win season. He posted four shutouts, moving him within seven of the all-time mark set by Terry Sawchuk, and became just the second goaltender behind Patrick Roy to reach the 500-win plateau.
Runners-up: Evgeni Nabokov, San Jose; Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers All-time winners

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy
Awarded for sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct
Winner: Pavel Datsyuk, C, Detroit
Analysis: Datsyuk becomes the first player in more than 70 years to capture the Lady Byng for three straight seasons. He finished fourth in the NHL scoring race and first among Red Wings with 97 points (31 goals, 66 assists) in 82 games, while recording just 20 penalty minutes.
Runners-up: Martin St. Louis, RW, Tampa Bay; Jason Pominville, RW, Buffalo All-time winners

Frank J. Selke Trophy
Awarded to the league's most outstanding defensive forward
Analysis: Datsyuk led the league in plus-minus with a career-best, plus-41 rating. He also topped all players in takeaways with 144 -- 58 more than his closest competitor, Dallas' Mike Modano -- and blocked shots with 42.
Runners-up: John Madden, C, New Jersey; Henrik Zetterberg, C, Detroit All-time winners

Jack Adams Award
Awarded to the league's most outstanding coach
Winner: Bruce Boudreau, Washington
Analysis: A minor league coach at the start of the season, Boudreau took over behind the Capitals bench in November after a 6-14-1 start. Washington experienced a dramatic turnaround, going 37-17-7 and finished the season with a seven-game winning streak to capture the Southeast Division title.
Runners-up: Guy Carbonneau, Montreal; Mike Babcock, Detroit All-time winners

Lester B. Pearson Award
Awarded to the most valuable player as voted by the NHLPA
Analysis: Ovechkin, this year's Art Ross and Richard Trophy winner, helped the Capitals overcome their last-place standing early in the season to capture the Southeast Division title. A finalist for the Pearson Award in 2005-06, Ovechkin is just the second Russian behind Sergei Federov to receive this trophy.
Runners-up: Jarome Iginla, RW, Calgary; Evgeni Malkin, C, Pittsburgh All-time winners

Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy
Awarded for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey
Winner: Jason Blake, LW, Toronto
Analysis: Blake was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia, a rare but treatable form of cancer in October. The winger played all 82 games for the Maple Leafs, averaging 17:48 in ice time per game. He finished the season with 15 goals and 37 points.
Runners-up: Chris Chelios, D, Detroit; Fernando Pisani, RW, Edmonton All-time winners

King Clancy Memorial Trophy
Awarded for leadership and humanitarian contribution to the community
Winner: Vincent Lecavalier, C, Tampa Bay
Analysis: In addition to being one of Tampa Bay's top players, Lecavalier has made several charitable contributions to the Tampa/St. Petersburg, Fla. community. In October 2007, Lecavalier donated $3 million to build The Vincent Lecavalier Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorder Center in St. Petersburg, which will open in 2009. The all-star also heads the Vincent Lecavalier Foundation, which contributes significantly to local children's hospitals. All-time winners

Conn Smythe Trophy
Awarded to the most valuable player of the Stanley Cup playoffs
Winner: Henrik Zetterberg, C, Detroit
Analysis: Zetterberg finished the playoffs tied for first in points with 27 and led the league in goals with 13, including two shorthanded tallies and four game-winners. The Swede was stellar at both ends of the ice as he rattled off 116 shots -- 37 more than any other player -- while also posting a league-best plus-16 rating. He becomes just the second European to win the award. All-time winners

Art Ross Trophy
Awarded to the league's top scorer
Analysis: Ovechkin posted a career-high 112 points and became the sixth player in the last 35 years to lead the league in goals and points. The former first-round pick recorded at least one point in all but 19 games. Ovechkin is the first Russian-born player to win the Art Ross Trophy.
Runners-up: Evgeni Malkin, C, Pittsburgh; Jarome Iginla, RW, Calgary All-time winners

Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy
Awarded to the league's top goal scorer
Analysis: Ovechkin lit the lamp 65 times, setting a record for most goals in a season by a left wing. He is just the second Washington player behind Peter Bondra to lead the league in goals, and the first to win the Richard Trophy since it was established in 1999.
Runners-up: Ilya Kovalchuk, LW, Atlanta; Jarome Iginla, RW, Calgary All-time winners

Roger Crozier Award
Awarded to the goaltender with the best save percentage
Winner: Dan Ellis, Nashville
Analysis: Ellis led the league with a .924 save percentage. He split time in net with Chris Mason, making 44 starts. In that span, he registered six shutouts, including a streak of 233 minutes and 38 seconds in which he turned away 147 consecutive shots.
Runners-up: Ty Conklin, Pittsburgh; Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Anaheim All-time winners

William M. Jennings Trophy
Awarded to the goaltender(s) with the fewest goals against
Winner: Chris Osgood & Dominik Hasek, Detroit
Analysis: The Red Wings allowed just 179 goals this season, largely due to the teamwork of Osgood and Hasek. The pair started 43 and 41 games, respectively, and allowed 84 goals each. Jimmy Howard, who did not play in enough games to qualify for the award allowed the other seven tallies.
Runners-up: Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Anaheim; Evgeni Nabokov, San Jose All-time winners

Last edited:

Skeletor

Juniors
My thoughts on the winners.
Hart Memorial Trophy
Awarded to the league's most valuable player

Obvious. Ovie was by far and away the best player this season.

Calder
Winner:
Patrick Kane, RW, Chicago

Should have been Toews. Far better than Kane in the games he played in.

James Norris Memorial Trophy
Awarded to the league's most ounstanding defenseman
Winner: Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit

And Lidstrom wins his umpteenth Norris. I might have given it to Chara though.

Vezina Trophy
Awarded to the league's most outstanding goaltender
Winner: Martin Brodeur, New Jersey

Should have been Nabakov.

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy
Awarded for sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct
Not a bad choice.

Frank J. Selke Trophy
Awarded to the league's most outstanding defensive forward
I'd have picked Madden.

Jack Adams Award
Awarded to the league's most outstanding coach
Winner: Bruce Boudreau, Washington
Hands down.

Lester B. Pearson Award
Awarded to the most valuable player as voted by the NHLPA

Well Deserved.

Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy
Awarded for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey
Winner: Jason Blake, LW, Toronto

Pisani had the worse illness and played the better season IMO.

King Clancy Memorial Trophy
Awarded for leadership and humanitarian contribution to the community
Winner: Vincent Lecavalier, C, Tampa Bay
Fair enough, he does a buttload of charity stuff.

Conn Smythe Trophy
Awarded to the most valuable player of the Stanley Cup playoffs
Winner: Henrik Zetterberg, C, Detroit

Fair enough.

Art Ross Trophy
Awarded to the league's top scorer

Self evident category.

Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy
Awarded to the league's top goal scorer

As Above.

Roger Crozier Award
Awarded to the goaltender with the best save percentage

As Above.

William M. Jennings Trophy
Awarded to the goaltender(s) with the fewest goals against
Winner: Chris Osgood & Dominik Hasek, Detroit
Helped out a lot by their awesome D-corps and forwards who get back and help out.

Monk

Referee
i sent them this just then,
"
To Coby

the NHL fans and i were wondering what is the status on the possibility of an NHL forum, the popularity of the sport is rather big and it is our impression that if there was an NHL forum, it would be more popular on the forum as it would be easily noticed.

The NHL fans and I would appreciate it if you could look into the possibility of an NHL forum on LU and if you could get back to me asap of the possibility or any problems or requirments of having a NHL forum

on behalf of all NHL fans on LU,
Monk"

i dont think that things are looking good

TooheysNew

Coach
Monk,

Please stop PMing me. When we have time, it will be looked at.

Pestering us continually just pushes it to the back of the to do list.

Cheers.