What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nick Livermore speaks gibberish about expansion

...Proof please

I've shown it to you before, but I'll show it again since you're playing dumb. Not that you aren't dumb, BTW. You're just not as dumb as you're pretending to be here.

"Each of (the losing bids) could have justifiably qualified to run a successful NRL team. So we are spoilt for choice," Abdo said.

"Those considerations we will look at but we have an open mind.

"We do what's right for the game, and what is right for the growth of the game overall.

"We need to consider all parts of Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific when thinking about expansion.

"Again it will be data driven, rigorous and for the right reasons."

Tigers and Jets will be judged alongside bids from the rest of Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific. The one that presents the best case for inclusion will get the licence.

We also have the Head of Strategy WWOS Simon Fordham saying this:

“We’re really committed to working with the NRL in growing the competition, and Queensland is a big part of that. We think there’s room for another team here in Queensland, and the Dolphins have been the perfect example."

Nick Politis also believes the 18th team should be from Queensland.

We should have two new clubs in Queensland,”

“We need to grow and we need new customers. More eyeballs on TV and more product will bring more revenue from the broadcasters and that’s what we rely on more than anything else.

“You do that by increasing the number of clubs, have an extra game and go into new areas.

“The three groups bidding to become the 17th team are all financially strong with good business structures. Why turn two of them away?

“They should be encouraged to be patient and eventually become the 18th team or we look at an area like Rockhampton.”

When V'landys spoke about adding a second team in Brisbane he pointed out that the business case needed to "stack up".

It has to stack up with a business case, what the Dolphins did is it stacked up,” he explained.

“We don’t have to pay tens of millions having that 17th team, in actual fact we generated substantial new revenue from broadcast to have that 17th team.

“So it pays for itself without harming any of the other clubs, so if we go for the 18th team, it has to be important that it actually brings benefits.

Based on that, we can assume he (and the rest of the ARLC) will want the 18th team to be sustainable from day one.

I could be wrong, but I think Redcliffe's cash reserves and assets helped get them over the line because it provides insurance that can be used to bail them out during hard times. I found a statement on this point in an article on WWOS:

The new franchise satisfied several financial requirements, including being able to produce a bank guarantee of $50 million over the course of the next five years to prove the team will be sustainable moving forward.

mongoose

Coach
If "no one knows what the NRL will do" then why do you keep saying Brisbane won't get another team for another 30 years?

What sort of "fruitloop" would claim "no one knows" after spending at least 2 years saying you know Brisbane won't get the 18fh licence?

You've just contradicted yourself and proven you're a biased moron!

Get a f**ken clue and stop being such an obnoxious hypocrite.

My sources are ARLC leaders Peter V'landys and Andrew Abdo; influential Roosters leader Nick Politis; media analyst Colin Smith, and; Head of Strategy WWOS Simon Fordham.

Your sources are your crazy imagination.

I remember the usual suspects bagging the shit out of Redcliffe when they were first discussed.
yeah and that's my opinion dumbass, you seem to think your opinion is fact based on some cherry picked comments from the media. You are desperately trying to prove something that hasn't happened yet. That's why we keep saying you are over emotional because you are way too attached to the idea that Brisbane will get a 3rd team and anyone who disagrees gets attacked. I mean you've created this very thread simply to discredit someone because they said Brisbane won't get another team in their lifetime.

Pippen94

First Grade
yeah and that's my opinion dumbass, you seem to think your opinion is fact based on some cherry picked comments from the media. You are desperately trying to prove something that hasn't happened yet. That's why we keep saying you are over emotional because you are way too attached to the idea that Brisbane will get a 3rd team and anyone who disagrees gets attacked. I mean you've created this very thread simply to discredit someone because they said Brisbane won't get another team in their lifetime.

..straight to the insults..

mongoose

Coach
I've shown it to you before, but I'll show it again since you're playing dumb. Not that you aren't dumb, BTW. You're just not as dumb as you're pretending to be here.

"Each of (the losing bids) could have justifiably qualified to run a successful NRL team. So we are spoilt for choice," Abdo said.​
"Those considerations we will look at but we have an open mind.​
"We do what's right for the game, and what is right for the growth of the game overall.​
"We need to consider all parts of Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific when thinking about expansion.​
"Again it will be data driven, rigorous and for the right reasons."​

Tigers and Jets will be judged alongside bids from the rest of Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific. The one that presents the best case for inclusion will get the licence.

“We’re really committed to working with the NRL in growing the competition, and Queensland is a big part of that. We think there’s room for another team here in Queensland, and the Dolphins have been the perfect example."​

We should have two new clubs in Queensland,”​
“We need to grow and we need new customers. More eyeballs on TV and more product will bring more revenue from the broadcasters and that’s what we rely on more than anything else.​
“You do that by increasing the number of clubs, have an extra game and go into new areas.​
“The three groups bidding to become the 17th team are all financially strong with good business structures. Why turn two of them away?​
“They should be encouraged to be patient and eventually become the 18th team or we look at an area like Rockhampton.”​

When V'landys spoke about adding a second team in Brisbane he pointed out that the business case needed to "stack up".

“It has to stack up with a business case, what the Dolphins did is it stacked up,” he explained.​
“We don’t have to pay tens of millions having that 17th team, in actual fact we generated substantial new revenue from broadcast to have that 17th team.
​
“So it pays for itself without harming any of the other clubs, so if we go for the 18th team, it has to be important that it actually brings benefits.​

Based on that, we can assume he (and the rest of the ARLC) will want the 18th team to be sustainable from day one.

I could be wrong, but I think Redcliffe's cash reserves and assets helped get them over the line because it provides insurance that can be used to bail them out during hard times. I found a statement on this point in an article on WWOS:

The new franchise satisfied several financial requirements, including being able to produce a bank guarantee of $50 million over the course of the next five years to prove the team will be sustainable moving forward.​
anyone who thinks Rockhampton should be considered is a f**king moron

Why don't your preface your opinions with "In my opinion"?

You explicitly shout them out as if they're facts and insult anyone who doesn't share your view. Look at your response. Full of insults because I exposed your double standards.

Learn how to argue.

I created this thread to expose the stupidity of Nick Livermore. He stupidly said Brisbane only has one team and then argued that the coast of SEQ has four teams. His logic and conspiracy theory about News Ltd reminded me of your stance on expansion.

Canard

Immortal
Isn't the main thrust of the article (I.e that parts of Brisbane will be taken over by AFL) exactly what the one of the main pillars of the Tigers reason for bidding is?

mongoose

Coach
Why don't your preface your opinions with "In my opinion"?

You explicitly shout them out as if they're facts and insult anyone who doesn't share your view. Look at your response. Full of insults because I exposed your double standards.

Learn how to argue.

I created this thread to expose the stupidity of Nick Livermore. He stupidly said Brisbane only has one team and then argued that the coast of SEQ has four teams. His logic and conspiracy theory about News Ltd reminded me of your stance on expansion.
hahaha, dude you've got most of the expansion forum regulars against you but sure I will "learn how to argue".

I really don't care about that comment i made some years ago about Rugby being protected in WA, however if you think large companies and organisation don't work together in cartel like operations then you're naïve. Perhaps its a crazy thing to say but there is more going on behind the scenes than just a group of independent organisations doing what's best for them. They're not in competition with each other as much as you would think. Every big decision the NRL or AFL makes has to go through their News limited Daddy. Daddy might be good friends with Rugby Union and an NRL team would suddenly relegate the Force to be the poorer cousin. WA is currently the only state and territory where Union has a bigger profile than League...

hahaha, dude you've got most of the expansion forum regulars against you but sure I will "learn how to argue".

Arguing isn't about being popular on an obscure internet forum. It's about using evidence to support a premiss. I don't see any of that from you. All I've seen you do is say "x" won't happen because you don't think it will happen. You've not provided any evidence that "the powers that be" are against "x" from happening.

I hate to say it, but most of the "expansion forum regulars" are dreamers who don't live in reality. For one, none of them are on the same page as the ARLC and broadcasters.

If their arguments are so great then how come the ARLC aren't listening to them?

I really don't care about that comment i made some years ago about Rugby being protected in WA, however if you think large companies and organisation don't work together in cartel like operations then you're naïve. Perhaps its a crazy thing to say but there is more going on behind the scenes than just a group of independent organisations doing what's best for them. They're not in competition with each other as much as you would think. Every big decision the NRL or AFL makes has to go through their News limited Daddy. Daddy might be good friends with Rugby Union and an NRL team would suddenly relegate the Force to be the poorer cousin. WA is currently the only state and territory where Union has a bigger profile than League...

You cared enough to try to justify it!

Why would News Ltd -- or as you call it, "Daddy" -- care for RU in Perth when they haven't held the broadcast rights for years?

Using that logic, Ch9 wouldn't have bought the rights to RU because it's a competitor to NRL.

mongoose

Coach
Arguing isn't about being popular on an obscure internet forum. It's about using evidence to support a premiss. I don't see any of that from you. All I've seen you do is say "x" won't happen because you don't think it will happen. You've not provided any evidence that "the powers that be" are against "x" from happening.

I hate to say it, but most of the "expansion forum regulars" are dreamers who don't live in reality. For one, none of them are on the same page as the ARLC and broadcasters.

If their arguments are so great then how come the ARLC aren't listening to them?

You cared enough to try to justify it!

Why would News Ltd -- or as you call it, "Daddy" -- care for RU in Perth when they haven't held the broadcast rights for years?

Using that logic, Ch9 wouldn't have bought the rights to RU because it's a competitor to NRL.
Perhaps the reason you are unpopular is because you put words into peoples mouths, introduce non sequitur's, project your emotional issues onto other people and just tend to go around in circles.

I like how you want to use media speculation as evidence when its for Brisbane 3 but when that media speculation is for PNG you argue against it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I cant see Brisbane 3 until team 20, and thats only if News ltd allow it, which they are unlikely to do.

mongoose

Coach
I cant see Brisbane 3 until team 20, and thats only if News ltd allow it, which they are unlikely to do.
you're going to have to back up your opinion with facts and by facts I mean off the cuff remarks by people with suits to the media...

Pneuma

First Grade
Perhaps the reason you are unpopular is because you put words into peoples mouths, introduce non sequitur's, project your emotional issues onto other people and just tend to go around in circles.

I like how you want to use media speculation as evidence when its for Brisbane 3 but when that media speculation is for PNG you argue against it.
You’ve got the Donk and Pip up against you now. Clear evidence you are making lucid points.

The reason I'm unpopular is because I go against the flow and state uncomfortable truths that other members don't want to hear.

It's the same reason @Perth Red is harassed. People cannot accept the uncomfortable truths he states about the game.

You're a wuss who tries to appeal to everyone. On the one hand you defend over saturation in Sydney, then argue against the same thing happening in Brisbane to appease the expansionists. If you were consistent you would argue against over saturation in both heartland cities or accept that Brisbane should have equal representation.

You get extremely emotional when anyone dares to criticise the Raiders.

"Speculation" is when an unfounded source makes a claim that is at odds with the governing body and broadcasters. I cite statements made by the governing body and broadcasters because their opinion will determine who gets the 18th licence.

You state News Ltd won't allow a third Brisbane team. I've only seen one article stating the Broncos are uneasy about a third team, but it didn't cite any sources. When Broncos coach Kevin Walters was quizzed on the Brisbane Tigers' bid to be the third team he said bring them in. We've got the Head of Strategy WWOS Simon Fordham saying Ch9 believes Queensland can support a fifth team and are supportive of growing the game in the Sunshine State. These are not "throwaway lines". They're statements from the people who will have input into who gets the 18th licence.

Was it a "throwaway line" when V'landys said if there's a 17th team it'll be from Brisbane?

I recall you arguing like a demented wanker that Perth was a legitimate chance of getting the 17th licence. You dismissed a Roy Masters article that said a source claimed Brisbane were certainties of getting the 17th licence unless Twiggy Forrest threw millions of dollars at the ARLC.

Looks like that "throw away line" from Roy Masters turned out to be right, hey?

I've been dismissive of the PNG bid because it is surrounded with uncertainties and destined to fail. Relying on $25m per annum in foreign aid from the Aus Gov just to fund the team is very risky. Politicians aren't known for sticking with their promises. We just had the Vic Premier cancel the 2026 Commonwealth Games despite signing a contract to stage them last year. Alberta pulled out of running for the 2030 Commonwealth Games. The only reason Albanese is pushing this Pasifika idea is because China wants to build a military base in the South Pacific. Albanese wants it to be a Pasifika team that plays matches in PNG, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. The PNG Gov wants it to be a PNG team that plays its matches in Port Moresby. So we've already got a conflict of interest between the PNG consortium and the Aus Gov.

The likelihood of the RLPA agreeing to this team is very low because it would jeopardise player safety. Mackay Cutters threatened to boycott travelling to Port Moresby due to safety concerns. In 1994 a mob of angry locals swarmed to Port Moresby airport to ambush Cowboys officials when news broke that a PNG player based in the Townsville Rugby League was declared unfit to play for the Cowboys in 1995. What do you think will happen if a popular Papuan New Guinea player is dropped from a PNG/Pasifika team?

Neither Ch9 nor News Ltd benefit from having to travel to Port Moresby to cover games.

Last edited:

News Ltd played a hand in removing teams from Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Perth when they held a 50% stake in the ARL.

News Ltd no longer hold a stake in the ARL. They've lost bargaining power over the last decade because they've now got competition from streaming services.

There's a good chance Ch9 will bid for everything to create content and subscriptions for STAN. Ch10 might do something similar for Paramount+.

MugaB

Coach

"Each of (the losing bids) could have justifiably qualified to run a successful NRL team. So we are spoilt for choice," Abdo said.​
"Those considerations we will look at but we have an open mind.​
"We do what's right for the game, and what is right for the growth of the game overall.​
"We need to consider all parts of Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific when thinking about expansion.​
"Again it will be data driven, rigorous and for the right reasons."​

“We’re really committed to working with the NRL in growing the competition, and Queensland is a big part of that. We think there’s room for another team here in Queensland, and the Dolphins have been the perfect example."​

We should have two new clubs in Queensland,”​
“We need to grow and we need new customers. More eyeballs on TV and more product will bring more revenue from the broadcasters and that’s what we rely on more than anything else.​
“You do that by increasing the number of clubs, have an extra game and go into new areas.​
“The three groups bidding to become the 17th team are all financially strong with good business structures. Why turn two of them away?​
“They should be encouraged to be patient and eventually become the 18th team or we look at an area like Rockhampton.”​

It has to stack up with a business case, what the Dolphins did is it stacked up,” he explained.​
​
“So it pays for itself without harming any of the other clubs, so if we go for the 18th team, it has to be important that it actually brings benefits.​

The new franchise satisfied several financial requirements, including being able to produce a bank guarantee of $50 million over the course of the next five years to prove the team will be sustainable moving forward.​
Again you are using media quotes by the same people who are justifiably keeping every bid alive, by saying things like "each bid could run an NRL team"
They are keeping ALL their options open..
All the quotes you've posted by anyone on the arlc are suspect because of that reason.
The Simon Fordham quote has no bearing on expansion at all, he does not have any votes on the arlc, nor will his input drive any decision on where the arlc will or should pick.. asking any broadcaster their thoughts will just receive a more of the same approach, more content in the same rugby-league heartlands are exactly what channel 9 want, wonder why they've never spoken about perth or NZ2, as there is no money in it for them...the broadcasters wishes are not in the best interests of the game..
And you're right, I'm playing dumb coz your not getting it, everyone has an opinion yes, but its about a non bais opinion based on whats physically happening, not political quotes by key figure heads within the media or the game, who are basically contradicting themselves, politis mentions Rockhampton, but also says we need to be in every state. How does that all happen when abdo is saying the past bids in SEQ are rightly ready to take on a possible licence, and PVL saying everything from perf, nz2 to pasifika and its 17million population

MugaB

Coach
Isn't the main thrust of the article (I.e that parts of Brisbane will be taken over by AFL) exactly what the one of the main pillars of the Tigers reason for bidding is?
Shane Richardson's favourite line

MugaB

Coach
Oh yes, Rockhampton is a far better choice, next time i see "politis knows" posted by you, "Rockhampton" will be the reply