What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

getsmarty

Immortal
I agree with you, as much as I hate to say so.

Here's the difference.

You may have paid "overs" for those players, but you got your targets.

Before Mary turned Dugan into the Michelin Man, he was an out and out winner. Played a dozen times for Australia. Moylan and Johnson are gifted players. Shite doesn't work out all the time, and maybe those players NOW seem expensive. At least you were in the battle.

Every time we go to market, the excuse is the same. " We really did not bid for him", or the old "Too expensive". It's a great excuse, but it's wearing thin.

The fact that Hynes, whether a superstar or not, didn't consider us tells you what you need to know.

The fact that we let Cam McInnes leave to secure McCullough is damning.

It was drip fed to us that Dufty was allowed to test the market as we have our sights on someone else. What's the bet its another disgruntled, late 20's / early 30's journeyman.

People can believe what they wish, and dismiss Hynes and co. now, but we are not an attractive destination at the minute as a result of negligence by the board for over a decade.

I usually agree with you @TruSaint ...BUT...Sharks signed McInnes as a Lock...time will tell how that works out...As for letting him go...has been discussed ad nausem in J.A by posters with good intel...McInnes was unlikely to stay...we pulled the pin....100% correct decision....

Mccullough was only bought in after McInnes was injured....so that is a strawman argument....

Add to this,we were never after Hynes (wants to play 6 and we have others earmarked for the position )....Good luck to the sharks for getting him...wasn't on our radar....just the usual wishful thinking/speculation that as has been correctly pointed out by others happens on here 90% of the time....

If we lose tonight , this place will be in meltdown tomorrow....might just return in a few weeks time...

:p:eek::oops:

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
I usually agree with you @TruSaint ...BUT...Sharks signed McInnes as a Lock...time will tell how that works out...As for letting him go...has been discussed ad nausem in J.A by posters with good intel...McInnes was unlikely to stay...we pulled the pin....100% correct decision....

Mccullough was only bought in after McInnes was injured....so that is a strawman argument....

Add to this,we were never after Hynes (wants to play 6 and we have others earmarked for the position )....Good luck to the sharks for getting him...wasn't on our radar....just the usual wishful thinking/speculation that as has been correctly pointed out by others happens on here 90% of the time....

If we lose tonight , this place will be in meltdown tomorrow....might just return in a few weeks time...

Meltdown tomorrow ha ha ha. Try by 930pm!!

TruSaint

Referee

Not worried about tonight mate.
Not worried about a meltdown either.

Just calling it the way I see it.

Gareth67

First Grade
But what is relevant is who is linking us to those players. I do not belive any of them will be at the Dragons however, I think that Burgess would be a good run on prop with Vaughan.

Who - possum old chum , have you been chewing on those bluudy eucalyptus leaves again ? It was you , you were spreading the story that Hynes would be signing with the Dragons .

Next thing you will be saying is that Griffin has signed Mary to take over Duffy’s fullback position .

Perhaps I should not had said that ? 😳

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
Who - possum old chum , have you been chewing on those bluudy eucalyptus leaves again ? It was you , you were spreading the story that Hynes would be signing with the Dragons .

Next thing you will be saying is that Griffin has signed Mary to take over Duffy’s fullback position .

Perhaps I should not had said that ? 😳
Haha poor old Pos is chasing his own tail again!

slippery5

Juniors
When Harry Grant was talked up as the next big thing to Cameron Smith before either of them had played NRL, he & Hynes were the reason why the Sunshine Coast Falcons were minor premiers in Qld Cup. Trust me this Kid looks good not just because he is in the Storm system.
I hope you can trust me now.
I told Nicho his price had gone up $200k after playing stand out performances in those 1st games replacing the injured Paps. He said "I hope so"
What will the highest scoring Dally M player finishing second on the NRL ladder command next contract??$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PS.
Was fun reading some of the positives & negatives about him outside "Storm" system !!!!!!!!

slippery5

Juniors
1. I'm told he is more likely to stay at Storm.
2. Anyone who had watched Nicho play for the Falcons long before he debuted for the Storm could see he was something special. I'll go as far as saying, while playing in the halves, he was the most multi talented ball player I've seen.
3. I wonder if anyone would choose Hughes/ Paps over what could be the next Lockyer. Time will tell, but I don't recall the same hype over Lockyer after the same amount of starting games.
Ok so I got point 1. wwwwwwwwrong

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Nicho Hynes and Cronulla Sharks coaches save man hanging from a bridge from falling to his death​

Two months ago, Nicho Hynes said he “would rather save a life than score a try”. Last Sunday he did, rescuing a man hanging from a bridge and threatening to fall to his death.
When Nicho Hynes flung open his passenger door on the iconic Sea Cliff Bridge, just north of Wollongong, it seemed like everything else was moving in slow motion.
A distraught teenage girl was pacing the pavement with a phone pressed to her ear.
An elderly couple shuffled out of the way, confused and frightened.
From the driver’s seat of his parked car, a man in his late 30s was yelling towards the hand railing of the bridge.
The sound of passing car horns felt distant, almost drowned out by the dire situation that was unravelling.
Yet everything else was racing inside Hynes: his mind, his heartbeat, his legs.
As the NRL star and Sharks assistant coach Steve Price hurried towards the intense commotion, around 1.30pm last Sunday, they discovered a man on the wrong side of the railing.
Leaning forward, the distressed man stared down at the rocky 135-foot drop.
He was screaming for his life to be over.
Only the strained grip of his hands wrapped to the steel railing stopped him from falling to his certain death.
Just 90 seconds was all it took for Hynes, Price and fellow Sharks assistant coach Daniel Holdsworth to save the 57-year-old’s life.
“When I jumped out of the car, Pricey (Price) also jumped from his passenger seat while DJ (Holdsworth) began calling an ambulance,” Hynes said.
“People were watching on, almost in a daze.
“I thought, ‘What the hell is everyone doing?’
“So I just ran towards him.
“I didn’t want to see what we could’ve seen (the man jumping).
“I didn’t say anything straight away. I just grabbed his arm so he didn’t let go of the bridge.”
They didn’t have time to think about their decision to run towards the father of two.
They didn’t have time to think that their human instincts to help the man could indeed have the opposite effect.
That their hurried feet running towards the railing could result in the man letting go.
No one could imagine the trauma and psychological impact that could have followed.
“It is upsetting to think about now, what could’ve happened. That’s something that you never want to contemplate, but at the time we just wanted to help,” Hynes said.
Price added: “When we approached him it took about 15 seconds for him to realise that we weren’t here to judge him — we were here to help.”
Hynes and Price shifted the subject from the obvious.
What’s your name?
Where are you from?
Do you like footy?
What team do you support?
“I then said, ‘Do you know this bloke?” Price said, while gesturing towards the 2022 Dally M winner.
“He said: ‘Oh, Nicho Hynes’.
“It was at that moment we could feel him relax a little bit and then, almost simultaneously, I gave Nicho a little nod.
“We each grabbed one hand on the back pocket of his jeans and the other hand on his top and we pulled him back over the high railing.
“It was about a minute-and-a-half and we had him back over the fence.”
The Sharks trio had been on their way to a barbecue at Cronulla head coach Craig Fitzgibbon’s house, just south of the Sea Cliff Bridge, last Sunday when their extraordinary instincts took over.
“I was driving and I could see that a car had pulled over on the bridge with its lights flashing,” Holdsworth said.
“I said to Nicho and Pricey, ‘That guy is going to jump’.
“It’s amazing what your instincts lead you to do in that situation.
“I’m not sure everyone would do the same thing.
“Nicho and Pricey were seriously brave in my eyes, they didn’t hesitate. They ran straight toward the guy as I pulled over to phone an ambulance.”
With the man sitting safely on the pavement, Hynes and Price then led him towards Holdsworth’s car.
“We just kept talking to him, about his life, his kids, who he used to play footy for, his reasons for supporting the Bulldogs,” Hynes said.
“And that, with help, he could get through the pain that he was in.”
Price added: “I was in the back seat with him.
“And just told him that he’s just met three new mates.
Holdsworth drove the man towards the lights and sirens of oncoming police and ambulance, pulling over to help the man into the care of professionals.
“I grabbed his number before he got out of the car and told him that we wanted him to get the help he needed and that once he was ready, we’d get him to a Sharks game,” Hynes said.
The incredible intervention unfolded less than 24 hours before Hynes would suffer a broken ankle and major ligament damage at Sharks training.
He will miss the next eight weeks of the NRL season for Cronulla.
“You’d think the karma gods would be on my side,” Hynes smiled.
Despite the disappointment of requiring ankle surgery, Hynes called the man to check on his welfare last Wednesday.
“It was nice to hear that he was in a better place, he’s getting the professional help that he needs,” Hynes said.
“He thanked us, which is nice.
“But really, we were just doing what I hope anyone else would do in that situation.’’
The decision by one of the NRL’s most popular players, alongside two of the game’s most respected coaches, to save a man’s life is one of the most extraordinary stories of the year.
It’s also layered with deep and personal meaning for Hynes.
Less than two months ago, the Sharks star announced that he was using his own mental health battles as the driving force behind the launch of his very own Mental Fitness Round, which was held last May when Cronulla played St George Illawarra, and that he plans to grow into an annual event.
Hynes claimed at the time that such was his passion to encourage men, women and teenagers to be more vocal about mental health that he “would rather save a life than score a try.”
Unimaginably, that happened last Sunday.

Dragon David

First Grade

Nicho Hynes and Cronulla Sharks coaches save man hanging from a bridge from falling to his death​

Two months ago, Nicho Hynes said he “would rather save a life than score a try”. Last Sunday he did, rescuing a man hanging from a bridge and threatening to fall to his death.
When Nicho Hynes flung open his passenger door on the iconic Sea Cliff Bridge, just north of Wollongong, it seemed like everything else was moving in slow motion.
A distraught teenage girl was pacing the pavement with a phone pressed to her ear.
An elderly couple shuffled out of the way, confused and frightened.
From the driver’s seat of his parked car, a man in his late 30s was yelling towards the hand railing of the bridge.
The sound of passing car horns felt distant, almost drowned out by the dire situation that was unravelling.
Yet everything else was racing inside Hynes: his mind, his heartbeat, his legs.
As the NRL star and Sharks assistant coach Steve Price hurried towards the intense commotion, around 1.30pm last Sunday, they discovered a man on the wrong side of the railing.
Leaning forward, the distressed man stared down at the rocky 135-foot drop.
He was screaming for his life to be over.
Only the strained grip of his hands wrapped to the steel railing stopped him from falling to his certain death.
Just 90 seconds was all it took for Hynes, Price and fellow Sharks assistant coach Daniel Holdsworth to save the 57-year-old’s life.
“When I jumped out of the car, Pricey (Price) also jumped from his passenger seat while DJ (Holdsworth) began calling an ambulance,” Hynes said.
“People were watching on, almost in a daze.
“I thought, ‘What the hell is everyone doing?’
“So I just ran towards him.
“I didn’t want to see what we could’ve seen (the man jumping).
“I didn’t say anything straight away. I just grabbed his arm so he didn’t let go of the bridge.”
They didn’t have time to think about their decision to run towards the father of two.
They didn’t have time to think that their human instincts to help the man could indeed have the opposite effect.
That their hurried feet running towards the railing could result in the man letting go.
No one could imagine the trauma and psychological impact that could have followed.
“It is upsetting to think about now, what could’ve happened. That’s something that you never want to contemplate, but at the time we just wanted to help,” Hynes said.
Price added: “When we approached him it took about 15 seconds for him to realise that we weren’t here to judge him — we were here to help.”
Hynes and Price shifted the subject from the obvious.
What’s your name?
Where are you from?
Do you like footy?
What team do you support?
“I then said, ‘Do you know this bloke?” Price said, while gesturing towards the 2022 Dally M winner.
“He said: ‘Oh, Nicho Hynes’.
“It was at that moment we could feel him relax a little bit and then, almost simultaneously, I gave Nicho a little nod.
“We each grabbed one hand on the back pocket of his jeans and the other hand on his top and we pulled him back over the high railing.
“It was about a minute-and-a-half and we had him back over the fence.”
The Sharks trio had been on their way to a barbecue at Cronulla head coach Craig Fitzgibbon’s house, just south of the Sea Cliff Bridge, last Sunday when their extraordinary instincts took over.
“I was driving and I could see that a car had pulled over on the bridge with its lights flashing,” Holdsworth said.
“I said to Nicho and Pricey, ‘That guy is going to jump’.
“It’s amazing what your instincts lead you to do in that situation.
“I’m not sure everyone would do the same thing.
“Nicho and Pricey were seriously brave in my eyes, they didn’t hesitate. They ran straight toward the guy as I pulled over to phone an ambulance.”
With the man sitting safely on the pavement, Hynes and Price then led him towards Holdsworth’s car.
“We just kept talking to him, about his life, his kids, who he used to play footy for, his reasons for supporting the Bulldogs,” Hynes said.
“And that, with help, he could get through the pain that he was in.”
Price added: “I was in the back seat with him.
“And just told him that he’s just met three new mates.
Holdsworth drove the man towards the lights and sirens of oncoming police and ambulance, pulling over to help the man into the care of professionals.
“I grabbed his number before he got out of the car and told him that we wanted him to get the help he needed and that once he was ready, we’d get him to a Sharks game,” Hynes said.
The incredible intervention unfolded less than 24 hours before Hynes would suffer a broken ankle and major ligament damage at Sharks training.
He will miss the next eight weeks of the NRL season for Cronulla.
“You’d think the karma gods would be on my side,” Hynes smiled.
Despite the disappointment of requiring ankle surgery, Hynes called the man to check on his welfare last Wednesday.
“It was nice to hear that he was in a better place, he’s getting the professional help that he needs,” Hynes said.
“He thanked us, which is nice.
“But really, we were just doing what I hope anyone else would do in that situation.’’
The decision by one of the NRL’s most popular players, alongside two of the game’s most respected coaches, to save a man’s life is one of the most extraordinary stories of the year.
It’s also layered with deep and personal meaning for Hynes.
Less than two months ago, the Sharks star announced that he was using his own mental health battles as the driving force behind the launch of his very own Mental Fitness Round, which was held last May when Cronulla played St George Illawarra, and that he plans to grow into an annual event.
Hynes claimed at the time that such was his passion to encourage men, women and teenagers to be more vocal about mental health that he “would rather save a life than score a try.”
Unimaginably, that happened last Sunday.
Great story, well told and great ending. Thanks.

Nicho, Pricey and Holdsworth did a fantastic job. Good luck to them.