What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine forces ANZAC Test to remain in Australia

Unfortunately what you deem to be "the right thing by the sport at all times" would mean that the ARLC would be taking in a lot less money and wouldn't be able to do those things in the first place, or they'd have tried to do "the right thing by the sport at all times" anyway and have gone broke years ago.

Hate the game, not the player.

BS. If they did the right thing by the game it would be significantly bigger and stronger and they wouldn't have to bend over to nein and worry about getting a crowd. If these clowns actually grew the sport wed probably have massive international events that could be sold around the world, would attract sponsors and draw big crowds. Instead we have ONE game and apparently can't play it anywhere outside the only venue that ever gets a half decent crowd.

franklin2323

Immortal
Riiight. When its something positive the circle laud smith and the arlc but when its not its not his fault. Doesn't answer the question of why the f**k the arlc can sell rights to nein and the nzrl has no say.

Smith didn't do the TV deal Mattiske did. Do you think Channel 9 will show a game live when it has a 6pm Friday KO? No chance the contract says rep games need to be shown Live so GEM would have it.

Smith didn't do the TV deal Mattiske did. Do you think Channel 9 will show a game live when it has a 6pm Friday KO? No chance the contract says rep games need to be shown Live so GEM would have it.

I don't give a f**k what nein want. This is international sport. The fact nz never gets a home game because the arlc bends over to nein shows what a joke it is. Wouldn't happen in any other sport.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't give a f**k what nein want. This is international sport. The fact nz never gets a home game because the arlc bends over to nein shows what a joke it is. Wouldn't happen in any other sport.

So the fans want the game to start before they are home from work? Why did the NZRL agree to play GB over there? They must get a decent enough money from those same TV rights.

roughyedspud

Coach
Yes and the Turkish government stopped the game from going ahead because they don't have the infrastructure to support the influx of tourism that is already scheduled for this year.

Literally thousands of proposed events for this year were turned down by the Turkish government, including AFL games and a bunch of other events of similar types.

There isn't a great deal that the NRL could do about that.

got proof of that apart from "puff pieces" in the SMH or telegraph?

just cos a "journalist" and i used the word loosely,writes a brain fart in his or hers paper does not equate to it "nearly happening"...

and i put it to you that if the turkish government actually declined anything like a RL test or a AFL game,seriously where the f**k would they play that lol) its more to do with the fact its just abit insensitive.......dawn services are fine......holding a sporting event in the country that was basically the enemy is a step too far imo....thats why it was never ever going to happen and i said that 2 years ago when it was first muted...

mikeob

Juniors
Why would Brisbane be so devastatingly more profitable than Auckland? There's no guarantee they will even get a bigger crowd. The people it effects are nein. That's it. And that's why the game is in Brisbane. Nein said jump and the Welsh banker said how high. The fact the nzrl has no say only proves how f**ked up everything still is. And where will all these hundreds of thousands of extra dollars (if they exist) be going anyway? Not to IRL I'll bet.

NZRL gets 50% of profit from the game. Internationals are their main source of income and I think you'll find that's why the NZRL have barely raised a whimper about this. Also they are probably looking at the bottom line after the three Four Nations games in NZ and I suspect they don't see much profit from them.

That just proves they're as incompetent when it comes to promoting and growing the game as the NRL. They look after their fans about as well as the NRL looks after Tasmania.

insert.pause

First Grade
NZRL gets 50% of profit from the game. Internationals are their main source of income and I think you'll find that's why the NZRL have barely raised a whimper about this. Also they are probably looking at the bottom line after the three Four Nations games in NZ and I suspect they don't see much profit from them.

The NZRL would love it at Eden park and they likely would have sold it out, channel nine are the reason it's not happening.

franklin2323

Immortal
The nz fans would be home from work.

so will the fans in the games biggest marketplace. I don't care where they play as long as we get international footy. No one is forcing NZRL to play Australia. They are able to play over there against someone else.

They might do that before going to England post season. We are getting that & some people still whinge.

franklin2323

Immortal
The NZRL would love it at Eden park and they likely would have sold it out, channel nine are the reason it's not happening.

NZRL still could host. Ch9 don't have a game without them. Nothing stopping them hosting Samoa or something. So the money must be as good if not better then hosting.

insert.pause

First Grade
NZRL still could host. Ch9 don't have a game without them. Nothing stopping them hosting Samoa or something. So the money must be as good if not better then hosting.
NZRL have a rights agreement with SkyNZ for the ANZAC Test that doesn't expire until after next season, they have to play it.

so will the fans in the games biggest marketplace. I don't care where they play as long as we get international footy. No one is forcing NZRL to play Australia. They are able to play over there against someone else.

They might do that before going to England post season. We are getting that & some people still whinge.

Riiiight. So you want international football and don't care where, as long as its at a time you can watch. Good news the nzrl can host after all. How about 10pm Auckland time. Maybe the northern hemisphere internationals can be at 9am gmt to suit Sydney fans (who wouldn't even go to the game if it was in their backyard).

franklin2323

Immortal
Riiiight. So you want international football and don't care where, as long as its at a time you can watch. Good news the nzrl can host after all. How about 10pm Auckland time. Maybe the northern hemisphere internationals can be at 9am gmt to suit Sydney fans (who wouldn't even go to the game if it was in their backyard).

How do we get tests without money? it's Simple Australia brings the most money into the game. Until we get cities bidding to host the game. I imagine it will jump around the East Coast of Australia for the short term.

Hopefully other sponsors, TV Networks see the worth in the game and we can actually have these games sold off so not to be under the thumb of Channel 9

No not all around the east coast. It has to be Brisbane. Anywhere else will give up profit apparently. And Australia does not bring most money into the game. It brings most money into the NRL pocket. If that money actually flowed to the whole game it would be more reasonable. But it doesn't.

The Great Dane

First Grade
got proof of that apart from "puff pieces" in the SMH or telegraph?

just cos a "journalist" and i used the word loosely,writes a brain fart in his or hers paper does not equate to it "nearly happening"...

and i put it to you that if the turkish government actually declined anything like a RL test or a AFL game,seriously where the f**k would they play that lol) its more to do with the fact its just abit insensitive.......dawn services are fine......holding a sporting event in the country that was basically the enemy is a step too far imo....thats why it was never ever going to happen and i said that 2 years ago when it was first muted...

Well that's a very cliched imperialist attitude isn't it, and I'm sure that you hate Germany with a passion right :roll:.

I'd put it to you that you have absolutely no clue about the attitude of respect and understanding between the Turkish, Australians and Kiwis, we all understand that at the time we were all in a very sh!ty situation were none of us really had any control over the events at the time.

If you're interested in actually learning about the events at Gallipoli and the relations between the nations afterwards I'd suggest that you seek out some documentaries or books made by Australian/NZ, British and Turkish historians (whatever you do don't even bother looking at anything that's a mass produced war story out of America) or though it's a dramatisation of the events made for cinemas, checkout Rusty's new movie the Water Diviner, it's based on a true story and it's a very good movie that gives a pretty accurate look at what the relations between both sides were like right after the war, and it got a standing ovation at it's premiers in both Australia and Turkey.

watcher

Juniors
I don't believe the 50% share thing. If it was why do Channel 9 want it in Brisbane, if it is 50% the take would be equal with sold out Suncorp and Eden Park. Not to mention that only two ANZAC tests have been played in NZ.

2015 is special due to the centenary, however, if NZ's contract for the ANZAC tests expires next year I think NZ really needs to look at substituting Australia for Samoa or Tonga. Methinks NZ is being screwed over this fixture.

hutch

First Grade
Did Santa not bring you any Christmas present this year ECT? You seem very angry, even more so tha usual!