What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine forces ANZAC Test to remain in Australia

league13

Juniors
Did Santa not bring you any Christmas present this year ECT? You seem very angry, even more so tha usual!

He may be angry and rightly so.At least ECT is interested in the growth and spread of international league, you guys are only interested in your own backyard, Sydney.
The game in Auckland would have been a sellout and would have pulled in many that don't normally watch league.That's one of the reasons the nines are being played there.

roughyedspud

Coach
Well that's a very cliched imperialist attitude isn't it, and I'm sure that you hate Germany with a passion right :roll:.

I'd put it to you that you have absolutely no clue about the attitude of respect and understanding between the Turkish, Australians and Kiwis, we all understand that at the time we were all in a very sh!ty situation were none of us really had any control over the events at the time.

If you're interested in actually learning about the events at Gallipoli and the relations between the nations afterwards I'd suggest that you seek out some documentaries or books made by Australian/NZ, British and Turkish historians (whatever you do don't even bother looking at anything that's a mass produced war story out of America) or though it's a dramatisation of the events made for cinemas, checkout Rusty's new movie the Water Diviner, it's based on a true story and it's a very good movie that gives a pretty accurate look at what the relations between both sides were like right after the war, and it got a standing ovation at it's premiers in both Australia and Turkey.

not got a problem with the germans actually.....though after watching the argentina top gear special the damn argies can drop of the planet for all i care lol

and i know all about the gallipoli landings thanks...we where there too you know..

franklin2323

Immortal
He may be angry and rightly so.At least ECT is interested in the growth and spread of international league, you guys are only interested in your own backyard, Sydney.
The game in Auckland would have been a sellout and would have pulled in many that don't normally watch league.That's one of the reasons the nines are being played there.

So why don't NZ host a game post season if it's a sure thing to sell out? I would love every country to host tests every year. The money just isn't in the game ATM. You don't think PNG, NZ etc being on TV grows the game? We have 6 teams involved in mid season tests that should be cheered not critised

mikeob

Juniors
I don't believe the 50% share thing. If it was why do Channel 9 want it in Brisbane, if it is 50% the take would be equal with sold out Suncorp and Eden Park. Not to mention that only two ANZAC tests have been played in NZ.

2015 is special due to the centenary, however, if NZ's contract for the ANZAC tests expires next year I think NZ really needs to look at substituting Australia for Samoa or Tonga. Methinks NZ is being screwed over this fixture.

If you don't want to believe me maybe you'll believe the NZRL.

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/13761675/nzrl-reports-505-000-surplus/

Chief executive Jim Doyle said income was generated primarily from Kiwi Test matches, Sky TV broadcasting rights, funding from government agency Sparc (now Sport NZ), grants and commercial sponsorships.

hutch

First Grade

We are all interested in international rugby league, that is why we spend so much time discussing it on here. For the record, I agree the game should be held in nz every second year.

watcher

Juniors
The point is the test does not have to be against Australia. Sky can buy the rights for an Island team V Kiwis, or can it altogether for an end of year test against England. Australia are not as irreplaceable as they might like to think. Contractual obligation for this year and next, then can the ANZAC test.