What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine sports boss Tom Malone kicks off rugby league ratings war with Fox Sports

juro

Bench
Nine sports boss Tom Malone kicks off rugby league ratings war with Fox Sports

Date March 1, 2016 - 10:27PM
Adrian Proszenko

Chief Rugby League Reporter

The Nine Network's new director of sport, Tom Malone, has thrown the first grenade in the rugby league ratings war with Fox Sports, declaring: "Why would you pay for an inferior product when you can get the best product for free?"

Thursday night marks the beginning of the NRL season, in which 16 teams battle for the game's ultimate prize. The fight for viewers will be just as fierce, with Fox Sports taking on the free-to-air broadcaster by simulcasting every game with its own in-house commentary team.
1456831639680.jpg
Voice of the game: Channel Nine's Ray Warren. Photo: Mark Nolan

Fox has been aggressively spruiking the fact its coverage will be advert-free during play, while news that legendary caller Ray Warren could be retiring following this, his 50th season behind the microphone, may give Nine an edge when the rivals duke it out on the airwaves.
Fox made a cheeky attempt to poach Warren, but the undisputed voice of rugby league is committed to finishing his career at Nine. However, the pay-TV provider had a victory by signing Nine's head of sport, Steve Crawley, with Malone filling the void.​

Malone, the former executive producer of 60 Minutes, backed Nine's coverage on the eve of the Parramatta-Brisbane season opener on Thursday night.
1456831639680.jpg
Tom Malone. Photo: Channel NIne

"Why would you pay for an inferior product when you can get the best product for free?" he said.
"That's the very short answer. Channel Nine is the best place to watch rugby league, it goes to all Australian households and you get it for free.
"That's why people are going to watch on Channel Nine. We've got the best callers, the best experts, the best innovation, the best cameramen. It's such an incredible team that has been built up over decades.
"That's why Wide World of Sports is the best place to watch rugby league."
Told of Malone's comments, a Fox Sports spokesman responded: "Fox Sports will be the only place fans can see every NRL game of every round, live and ad-break free in high definition. It's the way sport should be, and for the first time in the NRL the way it will be.
"It's going to be a massive year, and we can't wait to get cracking."
Fox's decision to go head to head with Nine will cement a number of on-screen rivalries.
The Johns brothers, Matthew and Andrew, will be on opposite ends of the battle for the remote. Likewise, Fox's Andrew Voss will go up against former Nine colleague Ray Hadley, after the pair fell out in a defamation spat that was settled out of court.
Both networks have been tinkering with their offerings before the new season. Peter Sterling will anchor Nine's Thursday-night coverage, with Phil Gould and Andrew Johns joining Warren for the call.
Yvonne Sampson will host during Friday fixtures, with Paul Vautin re-joining the team for the Manly-Canterbury clash. Former Rooster Brad Fittler has been given his own camera and free rein to stalk the sidelines.
Fox will show all eight games per round, with exclusive rights to five of them. Its league talent includes Voss, Warren Smith, Matthew Johns, Matt Shirvington, Gorden Tallis, Nathan Hindmarsh, Bryan Fletcher, Ben Ikin, Mark Gasnier, Greg Alexander, Braith Anasta and Lara Pitt.
The stoush between the stations will not be confined to game days, with both upping the ante with their pre- and post-game coverage, plus other league programs during the week.
The networks have been in a chequebook war to sign the NRL's biggest stars in the pursuit of exclusive content.
Warren has a job at Nine for as long as he wants it, but the man affectionately known as "Rabs" is predicting a swansong, sparking speculation over his successor.
"We're using Matt Thompson and Ray Hadley, both great callers, and they are part of Nine's plans going into the future," Malone said.
"In terms of a formal succession plan, there isn't one. But obviously we're using other people so there are options."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-20160301-gn7b4r.html#comments#ixzz41huWCfER

juro

Bench
Out of the 20 comments on this article so far, not one has been positive about the quality of Nine's commentary team.

"Why would you pay for an inferior product when you can get the best product for free?"

Is this guy for real?! Channel's 9's product "The Best?! :crazy: Malone has gotta stop smoking that weed.

I mean let's see -

- Channel 9 are televising 3 games v Fox's 8 games.
- Channel 9 chop up the game with ads all over the place, Fox will go right through with ads only on at halftime and fulltime.
- The Channel 9 commentary team will give us continuous on air plugs for the latest crappy reality show on 9, Fox won't (based on what they have both done to date).
- Channel 9's telecasts have caused games' start times to be delayed to fit in around Nine and especially it's news and current affairs, with night games often starting after 8.00pm so we can get 30 minutes of their pre-match rubbish and adds. Fox Sports start their telecast before the game's scheduled kick-off time and the game starts pretty close, if not, on time.
- Channel 9's coverage will take extended shots, at really stupid times, of either coaches in the coaches box, or injured/suspended players on the sideline whilst there is action happening on the field - even if it is a player from my club, if I tune in, I expect to see the on field action not the frickin' stands/sidelines!
- Channel 9's commentary team will spend half or more of the match talking about something completely unrelated to the game. Fox's stick predominantly to the game at hand.
- If a Referee or Touch Judge makes a mistake, Channel 9's commentary team will spend the rest of the game reminding us of it even if the side the mistake went against lost the match 50-0. Fox's crew will mention it but rarely carry on all game reminding us of it during running commentary.
- Channel 9 will pick games between "their favourite teams" which they will expect to rate well, even if every pundit can tell it will be a one sided thrashing as one of the teams is having a bad season. Fox will pick their "best" game based on how competitive they think the on field action between the two teams will be.

So yeah, Channel 9's product is superior...... at being bad.

LESStar58

Referee
Yeah, because I for one am happy about things like post match coverage being cut out of the Melbourne broadcasts.

RoosTah

Juniors
The very fact that Channel 9 has chosen to continue employing Ray Hadley has me not particularly keen to watch their coverage.

After seeing all they're going to do this year I bit the bullet and signed up for Foxtel a couple weeks ago, but will still watch 9 when Rabs is the commentator. Any time that loud mouthed f**ktard Hadley is on though I'll be watching Fox.

undertaker

Coach
Such a shame Ch9 retained exclusivity for State of Origin and the Grand Final. Had Fox also grabbed simulcasting rights to those matches (much like they do for Wallabies RU tests), it would've been interesting to see how those matches would've rated on Fox.

no name

Coach
Out of the 20 comments on this article so far, not one has been positive about the quality of Nine's commentary team.

Old mate Motor Mouth has tried to defend them.
Reads suspiciously like a 9 plant.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Imagine my surprise, the new head of CH9 sport is a complete moron, out of touch with reality and likes Hadley.

Totally delusional fool.

undertaker

Coach
I see during the Footy Show ad break that Ch9 is starting to spruik the "Live and Free" ads for their NRL coverage.

Reminds me of their hodge podge effort during 2012 with their "Home of Rugby League" campaign during the tv rights negotiations:

[youtube]Daz-PQte7T8[/youtube]

The Rosco

Bench
I see during the Footy Show ad break that Ch9 is starting to spruik the "Live and Free" ads for their NRL coverage.

Reminds me of their hodge podge effort during 2012 with their "Home of Rugby League" campaign during the tv rights negotiations:

[youtube]Daz-PQte7T8[/youtube]

And they also made big of JT being exclusively a ch.9 talent. It'll be interesting to see the effect of the 20 or so NRL stars that have aligned themselves with each of the warring 9 and Fox.

nrlnrl

First Grade
They're still using 'The Home of League' line in their promos. I'd say it's the hut that only shows 3 games per round.

POPEYE

Coach
They're still using 'The Home of League' line in their promos. I'd say it's the hut that only shows 3 games per round.

If Rothfield is the 'most feared' then Nine has to be the 'home', neither will outdo the footy show as a 'must watch' but just as truck driving is an avenue for meatheads to make a living so must there be an avenue for their entertainment

Latest posts