What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nines Thread

The yak

Juniors
It was fun while it lasted.
API has really hit the ground running and crighton showed a lot of promise.
The worrying bits were we looked very reliant on kikau again.
Mansour, whare and Edwards looked very average.
Anyway I still think the overall experience was lots of fun, bring on the real trials.

Api showed a bit of flair and a few of the boys had some fun.
As long as there is no injuries I am content.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Not sure how to feel about our nines effort. Yes we made the finals, yes Api and Kikau looked good, yes the team look fit but at the end of the day we beat one team of reserve graders and that got us into the finals. We lost to the Knights and Dragons so 33% win rate.

Ivan at the end of the tournament was happy with the effort from the boys and was happy with the way we played so hopefully that means we are on track.

Bring on the trials.

franklin2323

Immortal
He had his arms around the guy AND made contact. Even if for arguments sake we say on the replay it's not so bad in live play making a call like that isn't exactly a robbery.

Where was the ball though? The defender doesn’t have to nor should make it easy for but you need allow a contest.
It was a contest for a bouncing ball which the ball won

franklin2323

Immortal
Not sure how to feel about our nines effort. Yes we made the finals, yes Api and Kikau looked good, yes the team look fit but at the end of the day we beat one team of reserve graders and that got us into the finals. We lost to the Knights and Dragons so 33% win rate.

Ivan at the end of the tournament was happy with the effort from the boys and was happy with the way we played so hopefully that means we are on track.

Bring on the trials.

9’s you get a handful of chances each game. Pre season handling is off so can’t judge too much from it.

A few guys looked the same as a last year though which is a concern but our pack is our strength and they looked good

stryker

First Grade

Bring on the trials.
As a rule of thumb, if Ivan is happy with the way you played then you need to be worried.

OldPanther

Coach
Where was the ball though? The defender doesn’t have to nor should make it easy for but you need allow a contest.
It was a contest for a bouncing ball which the ball won

You don't actually have to allow anything. Look at kick chases on grubbers. The defender is permitted to shield the ball and it's a penalty to push them or tackle them.

If you think the rules need to be changed fair enough but that's a different discussion because under the current rules what happened is reasonable.

John Hamblin

Juniors
You don't actually have to allow anything. Look at kick chases on grubbers. The defender is permitted to shield the ball and it's a penalty to push them or tackle them.

If you think the rules need to be changed fair enough but that's a different discussion because under the current rules what happened is reasonable.

Sevens Rugby leaves the NRL Nines for dead as a spectacle. The play the ball is too slow and 7 a side would allow for a better spectacle. The wrestle in the play the ball was BORING. The fans want more open football and tries!!

OldPanther

Coach
Panthers 9s team song:

I look up from the ground
To see your sad and teary eyes
You look away from me
And I see there's something you're trying to hide
you stretch out your hand and award the try
You pull away again
And I wonder what's on your mind
And then you say to me you made a dumb mistake
You start to tremble and your voice begins to break
You say there’s no video ref you have to ask your mate’s
And I feel the color draining from my face
And Mansour said
"I know we lost, but it's over, mate
It doesn't matter, put the phone away
It's never easy to lose a game, let it go
It'll be alright"
So I still look back at all the apologies you've sent
And I know it wasn't right, but it was f**king with my head
And like the 6 again, it was gone
And when you justified, I could tell you're moving on
But it's not the fact that we lost yesterday
It's the feeling of betrayal, that I just can't seem to shake
And everything I know tells me that I should walk away
But I just want to stay
And Mansour said
"I know we lost, but it's over, mate
It doesn't matter, put the phone away
It's never easy to lose a game, let it go
It'll be okay
It's gonna hurt for a bit of time
So bottoms up, let's forget tonight
We’ll play the trials and you'll be just fine
Let it go"
It'll be alright
It'll be alright
It'll be alright
It'll be alright
It'll be alright

Kilkenny

Coach
Haven’t seen a replay but watching it live I thought the Cleary no try was a fair enough call. The Roosters player was probably impeded, albeit slightly, and therefore denied an opportunity to get possession before it bounced away and was dived on by Cleary.

It was a disappointing way to lose that’s for sure. Again watching it live on the big screen I was comfortable it was a no try and was shocked when Cummins awarded it after consulting his other officials. Obviously was even more shocked when fox showed the replay.

It’s a Mickey Mouse event and while disappointed to be eliminated the way we were it probably wasn’t a bad thing. No injuries to speak off so move on.

Abacus

Juniors
Disappointing to read that Dave reportedly threw his toys out of the cot after the 9s, including giving Greenberg a spray.

Not sure losing the 9s is something you want your chairman making a big deal about. Might be feeling a bit of pressure for results from his mate?

OldPanther

Coach
Disappointing to read that Dave reportedly threw his toys out of the cot after the 9s, including giving Greenberg a spray.

Not sure losing the 9s is something you want your chairman making a big deal about. Might be feeling a bit of pressure for results from his mate?

Oi @Dave's mate don't be so hard on your mates! :joy:

BxTom

Bench
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...sion-shows-nines-no-joke-20200216-p54191.html

“That’s a disgrace, Todd!” exclaimed Penrith chairman Dave O’Neill. “That’s a disgrace!”

O’Neill was venting his frustration at NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg, who was standing on the other side of the VIP room at the Perth Nines on Saturday afternoon when the Panthers were ungraciously dumped from the tournament.

Referee Ben Cummins had awarded a last-minute try in the quarter-final to Dragons rookie Cody Ramsey, who had acrobatically leapt over the Panthers’ defender to plant the ball in the corner.

To the naked eye, it didn’t look a try and replays confirmed it wasn’t with the ball being planted on the other side of the in-goal line.

Because video technology isn’t used in the Nines format, the try could not be overruled.

That’s about the moment when the fired-up Panthers chairman got up, put on his jacket, stormed over to Greenberg and uttered a few words before leaving.

Rugby league’s back, baby.

“I felt sorry for our fans mostly,” O’Neill later told The Sydney Morning Herald. “A lot of them saved up for six months to be here and that’s who I feel for. We sent a full-strength team here wanting to win so it’s disappointing to finish like that.”...

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

I am pleased that Dave expressed his displeasure at a horrible decision to Greenberg. In anyone's language it was a nasty foul decision.

I'm sure if he'd said nothing the same folks would have been critical. There is no pleasing some.

Kilkenny

Coach

What’s he even doing there in the first place. Junket paid for by the club or did he pay his own way. Was there any need for him to be there?

The three officials saw what they saw in real time, no replay, and they got it horribly wrong in this instance. We all just have to suck it up and hope as Nathan Cleary pointed out we get a few calls go our way during the regular season.

Abacus

Juniors
I am pleased that Dave expressed his displeasure at a horrible decision to Greenberg. In anyone's language it was a nasty foul decision.

I'm sure if he'd said nothing the same folks would have been critical. There is no pleasing some.
Strong words Alice. Dave's reaction would be fine on a forum - unfortunately he's reacted in front of media. As far as "pleasing some", I'd have been pleased to see Dave take a smarter, more professional option and discretely let Todd know to expect a call during the coming days.

Even Greenberg's quote at the end of the article hints that he views Dave as an amateur:

As for O’Neill, Greenberg said: "I always admire people's passion and enthusiasm for their club and for the game".

In other words, not someone that Greenberg is going to seek rational, well-considered input from.

Kilkenny

Coach
The whole debate around whether the Panthers get a fair rub of the green is an interesting argument.

Over the years I have expressed the view there are certain officials who we haven’t fared well under and is it a coincidence or is there something untoward. I have never suggested for one minute a referee deliberates goes out on the field to ‘cheat’ us for want of a better phrase. I know they don’t. I do think however there is a subconscious mentality in the officials that can and sometimes does favour the more high profile clubs.

I don’t profess to know what our record is under Ben Cummins but on the other hand I know we have never seemed to fare well under Ashley Klein and more often than not in my opinion got a very raw deal when he was the led referee particularly against the more high profile teams. The other referee who were almost always on the receiving end was Robinson (his first name escapes me at the moment) and he was a local Cambridge Park boy. I put in down to the fact he must have felt compelled to seem to be impartial because he was a local but was never went well under him.

It is a tough job and us fans get the benefit on almost instantaneous replays, from multiple angles and then form a view the officials got the decision wrong. I feel for them in many respects but I do hold the view rightly or wrongly we as a club get less 50-50 calls than many other clubs.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

Bout time we started to complain about bad decisions. How has just copping it helped us?

Latest posts