What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nines Thread

OldPanther

Coach
Its hilarious that a coach blowing up over a woeful call is somehow disappointing lol f**king hell this place is ridiculous sometimes.

Yeah when Gus and Griffin were here there was a policy of not saying anything and it bought no extra good will from fans or officials so they might as well let their passion show.

martielang

Bench
I'm not the biggest fan of Dave, but tbh I think his emotion as a fan (which he is) probably just got the better of him. But also agree it was misdirected & didn't/won't achieve anything.

betcats

Referee
A call like that on the last play is really terrible. Especially after the new NRL boss said this in October:

Peter V’landys has reiterated the views of many disgruntled fans, by describing the officiating as the biggest problem facing the code right now.

“To be frank, we need to improve our refereeing,” V’landy’s said.

“That’s our single biggest problem at the moment. You can’t have fans walking away thinking they’ve been ripped off, so we need to fix our systems and do whatever we can, that the fan walks away happy and content that they’ve had a fair crack. And not walk away that he’s been ripped off. We’re doing a lot of work at the moment in the refereeing department to do things better.

“We’ve got a number of reports, and they’re pretty harsh reports. They have gone to every length about the refereeing and the judiciary - and in the next few months we’ll make some announcements in that regard. It was great year for rugby league, the only thing that let us down was some of the decisions.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/31/vlandys-to-focus-on-referees-revamp-in-new-role/

I don't like coaches who blow up all the time at all, I'd rather them never complain then always complain but after being robbed like that you have forgive them if they give the refs a serve IMO.

OldPanther

Coach
A call like that on the last play is really terrible. Especially after the new NRL boss said this in October:

Peter V’landys has reiterated the views of many disgruntled fans, by describing the officiating as the biggest problem facing the code right now.

“That’s our single biggest problem at the moment. You can’t have fans walking away thinking they’ve been ripped off, so we need to fix our systems and do whatever we can, that the fan walks away happy and content that they’ve had a fair crack. And not walk away that he’s been ripped off. We’re doing a lot of work at the moment in the refereeing department to do things better.

“We’ve got a number of reports, and they’re pretty harsh reports. They have gone to every length about the refereeing and the judiciary - and in the next few months we’ll make some announcements in that regard. It was great year for rugby league, the only thing that let us down was some of the decisions.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/31/vlandys-to-focus-on-referees-revamp-in-new-role/

I don't like coaches who blow up all the time at all, I'd rather them never complain then always complain but after being robbed like that you have forgive them if they give the refs a serve IMO.

There can be balance. Save it for the horrible calls like that one. Though at least we have the bunker (weird saying that lol) in the proper comp to avoid such bad human error in split second plays.

age.s

First Grade
There can be balance. Save it for the horrible calls like that one. Though at least we have the bunker (weird saying that lol) in the proper comp to avoid such bad human error in split second plays.

I think people need to remember stuff like this when complaining about the bunker. We'd still have problems with interpretations and 50/50s without it, but we forget how many rank howlers it keeps from happening.

franklin2323

Immortal

I do think they whinge over meaningless stuff often but times like that go for it. Hopefully it is used to get the officals better leading into the season

franklin2323

Immortal

Not if the refs don’t use it. I am interested how the captain’s challenge goes. I think that is a happy medium let the 50/50’s go but give players the chance to go for howlers

MugaB

Coach

This was the V'landy's quote i was talking about, how on earth did everyone just accept the refs call, the game was over he blew the whistle and the replay shows on screen that the dragons player did not score the last try.
So..... what we just call it a howler, and leave the field.
how does the 3 refs not just say "wait a minute, we got this wrong, sorry dragons fans, that wasn't a try". Its not like the game was going to restart play, the clock has ended, the games over, atleast get the last play right, i hope V'landy's keeps his word regarding Refereeing Howlers, coz memberships overall depend on it, im not wanting to bash referees, but this whole "I've made my decision, and you have to wear it, is utter bull" referees should be allowed to revert their decisions, especially when they see new evidence. If billy slater gets taken head high in backround play, but none of the refs see it, but 30 secs later it gets replayed 5 times, they react to it and punish/penalize asap, or atleast report it, regardless of bunker involvement, so if the perth 9s has a replay of a try not scored, it should be atleast a discussion after the new evidence was presented, before leaving the ground. If the NRL season has more of this shit, people will stop watching

age.s

First Grade
im not wanting to bash referees, but this whole "I've made my decision, and you have to wear it, is utter bull" referees should be allowed to revert their decisions, especially when they see new evidence.

Remember after the GF when all and sundry excused 6gate by saying "well the right decision was made in the end so it doesn't really matter how we got there?" I guess the process only matters when it's a meaningless game against a small club from Western Sydney. The decision has to be perfect for the Roosters in a GF though.

I don't really care about losing in the 9s, but the problem with RL officiating isn't mistakes or howlers, it's about the (justified) impression that the whole thing is a mickey mouse show and dance.

franklin2323

Immortal
Remember after the GF when all and sundry excused 6gate by saying "well the right decision was made in the end so it doesn't really matter how we got there?" I guess the process only matters when it's a meaningless game against a small club from Western Sydney. The decision has to be perfect for the Roosters in a GF though.

I don't really care about losing in the 9s, but the problem with RL officiating isn't mistakes or howlers, it's about the (justified) impression that the whole thing is a mickey mouse show and dance.

That is it for me. Like the All stars this week it means nothing but if there are howlers it is a bad look atleast there are captain challenges for the howler

betcats

Referee
Re Mansour, The nines format does nothing to make sauce look better. Sauce is a real wingers winger, he can find himself out of position on the wing in the 13 man game where he only has small corridor to stick to. All the extra space in the 9s will just confuse the poor bloke. 9s is a format where the guys with good instincts, vision and above all footwork and speed will look good. A guy like Mansour will just look lost half the time. I still think he can bounce back and improve quite a bit on last year.

Crashtest

Juniors
I still think he can bounce back and improve quite a bit on last year.

I agree with you there.

Plus from recent training video's, he doesn't looked as bulked up muscle wise as he has previous seasons, which may indicate that they are working on keeping him lighter and more agile this season, rather than pure strength.

Panfa

Juniors
I'm with dave on this one it was a shit call and a shit way to exit what was a pretty decent squad who could have gone all the way in the tournament.

Crashtest

Juniors
Disappointing to read that Dave reportedly threw his toys out of the cot after the 9s, including giving Greenberg a spray.

Not sure losing the 9s is something you want your chairman making a big deal about. Might be feeling a bit of pressure for results from his mate?

Considering there was $1 million bonus prize money on offer, I'd be pissed off and have a go at Greenberg as well if I was the CEO of a club that was knocked out of the finals from a howler of a refereeing decision.

The NRL wanted the clubs to send strong teams to help promote the event, and dangled the million dollar prize money as incentive for clubs to do this. The Panthers did there part by sending a strong team and risking all of their NRL starting spine players, so have every right to feel let down and pissed off at Greenberg and the NRL for how they were knocked out of the competition and lost the chance to compete for the title and the prize money .

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Its hilarious that a coach blowing up over a woeful call is somehow disappointing lol f**king hell this place is ridiculous sometimes.

So true. If O'neill hadn't shown his displeasure he would have been blamed for not having enough 'skin' about the game and not loving or showing enough passion for the Panthers. Especially when Toddy was so close at hand.