What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No away team jerseys in the finals

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
How good was it to see all of the clubs wearing their main jerseys this weekend?

Wonder if someone high up realized it's better for the game this way.

***MH***

Bench
Plus, sharks wore their heritage jersey today. Not their home strip. (although that should be their main strip)

Diesel

Referee
I don't get the away jersey. The Warriors and Penrith for example wear black as their primary jersey and should be able to play in that jersey for all games except when they play each other, or say NQ or Storm. It's seriously not that hard to figure out who is who without these rediculous white jerseys every round.

Snappy

Coach
IMO throughout the year away teams should only wear their 'away' jersey when there is a clash with the home side.

Quidgybo

Bench
I don't get the away jersey. The Warriors and Penrith for example wear black as their primary jersey and should be able to play in that jersey for all games except when they play each other, or say NQ or Storm.
That's assuming that colour is the only consideration. But another consideration would be light vs dark to increase contrast for viewers and players with poor colour perception. Penrith with their black strip could be seen to conflict with the Cowboys dark blue, the Storm's dark blue, the Broncos maroon, the Warriors black, Manly's maroon, the Roosters dark blue, perhaps even the Knights blue and red and the Eels blue. Really out of all NRL teams only about four or five skew destinctly light for their main strip.

Leigh.

LeagueNut

First Grade
In any other round, either the Broncos or the Cowboys would have been made to wear their alternate strips wouldn't they?

In last years Broncos/Warriors finals match at Suncorp the Warriors wore white jerseys with black shorts, they've never worn that combo before or since. It makes me wonder whether different rules are in play for finals matches.

Unfortunately we'll have to wear our white jerseys next week.

Is it just me, or are Souths a bit arrogant for the minor variation between their 2 jerseys? What's the f*ckin point of having black on the side stripes instead of white?

Gozilo

Juniors
I don't get the away jersey. The Warriors and Penrith for example wear black as their primary jersey and should be able to play in that jersey for all games except when they play each other, or say NQ or Storm. It's seriously not that hard to figure out who is who without these rediculous white jerseys every round.

I agree totally, teams should only wear different jerseys if they are the away team and their primary colours clash, otherwise I see no reason for teams like St George to wear anything other that the 'Red V' if zero teams clash with that. That is excluding special occasions where they may want to wear charity jersey etc.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Is it just me, or are Souths a bit arrogant for the minor variation between their 2 jerseys? What's the f*ckin point of having black on the side stripes instead of white?

I think it was originally done so they could sell separate sponsors to each jersey "type"

Big Sam

First Grade

Given that 14 other sides don't have colours that clash with ours, the different side panelling and shorts are sufficient. We also have a dedicated alternate jersey for when we play in Canberra.

LineBall

Juniors
IMO the idea that similar jerseys are a need for an alternate is a bit of a beat up anyway.

If clashes are such a problem, why do Australia and New Zealand both wear dark jerseys, and neither team has to have an 'alternate' when playing away from home?

Look at the 1985 Grand Final - Canterbury and St George, both predominantly white.

Latest posts