What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Big Signings? I don't think we need them.

PJ Marshal

Coach
when you consider our player turnover we would have to make a couple of signings alongside lowrie. Definetly need to bolster our experiance in the halves and add a bit more depth in the fowards.

Im all for blooding Blake Green, but i beielve possibly signing Hill or Jason Smith for one or 2 seasons could prove a masterstroke. Slowly bring Green in. To throw him into the deep end straight away is 50/50. Luckily the gamble worked when we broke in Tim Smith, i would rather not chance our arm like that again, especially next season, because again expectation will still be high. People will now think that Smiths gone we will win a premiership straight away.

So i say if we can get an experianced 5/8 do it and buy i say at least 2 more fowards. I dont know whos on the market exactly but id go for at least 1 prop and a back rower

lucablight

First Grade
It's not the lack of big signings I'm concerned about. Take a look at last year. At the end of the season we didn't sign anyone new but hardly anyone said a word. I believe most of us are concerned at the lack of big name signings due to the quality of players we're losing. If we weren't losing Morrison or Widders I wouldn't mind but since we're losing them along with some other decent players I was really expecting the replacements to be as good if not better replacements otherwise we're going backwards. I also think our lacklustre season has been another factor why people are demanding new signings.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
morrison will leave a massive hole and i'm not too sure if we've got it covered
he's like ian hindmarsh - nobody realised his real value to the team until he left.

go full throttle for steve simpson if he's still on the market.

bartman

Immortal
After such a big performance, we've proved what we could have done ha dthe coaching staff and players been switched on from the start of the season... nothing we didn't know really, because an indentical squad last year went within one game of taking out the competition.

However with all the guys leaving, I'd still like to see onee extra option in that side Mulder has named, someone capable of filling the six and allowing Blake Green to take his time and develop into a first grader by the end of next season, instead of being thrust in with pressure. Tim did alright in his first season, not as well in his second, can we expect Blake to do as well or better?

I'd prefer the one extra option I think we need to chase to be able to do a bit of a ball-playing impact role from the bench too if possible, to try and fill the gap that will be felt without Widders and still be an option in our 17 should Blake prove himself up to starting first grade.

But if it doesn't happen, then we'll just have to hope that the players do what they are capable, and are motivated to do it for Hagan more than they were to do it for Smith this year - or for each other for that matter.

Eelementary

Post Whore
But to be fair, most of those guys have been playing all season. Tim, Tahu, Grothe - all been a part of our losing streak, too.

I don't think we need a "big" name, but we DEFINITELY need a few decent players. For depth.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Morris, Morrison and Widders will be sorely missed...

Any news on Mateo? He could be brilliant.

parralight

Juniors
Jason Smith brings a lot more to a club than the ability to play 5/8.
He brings experience. Experience that he can impart on the halves of tommorrow. Not just talking about Smith and Green, I mean Keating and co who are looking for leadership.

IMO Kris Keating and Green could well be our halves combination in 2008.

mickdo

Coach
parralight said:
Jason Smith brings a lot more to a club than the ability to play 5/8.
He brings experience. Experience that he can impart on the halves of tommorrow. Not just talking about Smith and Green, I mean Keating and co who are looking for leadership.
Spot on. It's worth more than what he would likely bring to the club in terms of on-field performance for sure.

bartman

Immortal
Jason Smith would be worth it for a year imo. Even if he hardly gets on the field, having him in the squad and at training the whole time, building confidence in these kids if we aren't going to spend money on anyone else big.

Maybe Jason wants to get himself into coaching, and who knows, with Hagan at the helm he might be able to move into the system after a year of playing. That'd might be enough to convince him to come to Parra for one last hurrah as a player, and we'd be better for it I reckon.

James_Hardie

Juniors
Maybe we need Jason Smith. if you believe what they say that Andrew Johns runs Newcastle training (when they train), then maybe we will need a Jason Smith to run our training sessions...

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Jason Smith... are you lot serious?

No 35 year old signings, please Parra. He isn't even playing well in Canberra, he's good for a nice try assist every now and then but he is quite often rested during games and we don't need a five-eighth who can't cover 80 minutes.

IMO the only good options are Scott Hill or maybe Craig Wing if he is released, but Jason Smith is definitely not the answer.

Stagger eel

Staff member
It appears that we'll miss out on Scott Hill, however I'm warming with the idea of PJ wearing 6..I think he can handle it with ease.

the_eel

Juniors
Yeh PJ could just be the answer at 5/8.....honestly hadn't really thought of that option. Could also enable maybe Mateo to play on the bench as a 5/8-forward type of utility role.

Latest posts