What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Bulldogs to be charged ?

Fibroman

First Grade
This entire matter should never been leaked to the media in the first place. Police reports should have been stamped ' Not for press '.

Every footy trip I've ever been on included drinking and womanising. That doesn't bring the game into disrepute. It brings the individuals into disrepute if they take it too far.

The media brought the game into disrepute by the way they spin doctored the whole thing.

DJ1

Juniors
The interesting thing is that there is usually more evidence of someones involvement in a crime where they are found "Innocent" versus someone who does not go to trial as there is no prospect of a conviction due to a lack of evidence.

PB

Bench
ibeme said:
[furrycat said:
]The local radio around here has claimed players have been charged... Shows again the reliability of the media.

When was that? What radio station?

If they were going to charge someone, i think you would find they would wait till they were in the country, when you can actually arrest them! (if)

In all the TV cop shows you can't leave the country or town for that matter if you are under investigation.
Shows how much the TV shows are utter crap compared to real life.

Eels Dude

Coach
ibeme said:
Eels Dude said:
I agree with you there but not everyone including myself will be looking at it through the eyes of the law. If the DPP doesn't have enough evidence to charge anyone there will still be a cloud of doubt over the players and the club. It would be dissapointing if they are actually innocent but it appears though we may never know.

Which is why we're supposed to consider people to be innocent unless proven otherwise. It's fairer to assume a questionable/guilty person to be innocent, than assume an innocent person to be guilty.

Ask yourself the question. Would you rather someone locked up when they are innocent of assault, or the real attacker allowed to free?

It doesn't always work like that though. Especially in cases like sexual assault where evidence is very hard together. I agree with what you say but in reality it's not quite so simple.

The fact is if we're assuming the Dogs players are innocent until proven guilty then we are assuming that the victim is guilty of lying until proven otherwise.

Eels Dude

Coach
Its a Dogs World said:
Eels Dude said:
And that's where the problem lies. He committed the crime yet he is 100% innocent. Don't you see a problem with that?

Ok, but look at it this way. Let's say they are found guilty. But what IF they were really innocent of their crime?

would you risk locking away an innocent person with a family and all to live for?

I'm not saying anyone should be locked up, just that there is always going to be some doubt over their innocence, and people shouldn't expect otherwise.

Crusader

Bench
Would you consider them guilty of rape if no charges are laid?
I consider someone guilty of something, not necessarily rape.
As I said earlier they one or some are sure to be guilty of some form of misconduct at the very least.

A lack of 100% proof of guilt is a 100% proof of innocence in our judicial system.

The law doesn't allow for grey areas when it comes to guilt.

In my experience where there is smoke, there is fire. just look at the tabloids on a daily basis, sure they embellish everything to the max, don't check their alleged sources, etc but how often does there turn out to be some kind of truth in the allegations. I would go so far as to say more than 80% of the time.

The fact is if we're assuming the Dogs players are innocent until proven guilty then we are assuming that the victim is guilty of lying until proven otherwise.
Eels Dude I couldn't have put it better myself - outstanding :clap:

ibeme

First Grade
Presumption of innocence for the players is not necessarily presumption of lying for the alledged victim.

We don't know the story, but there could be a number of reasons for her giving a statement that is not entirely true.

Drugs and alcohol can blur both memory and judgement. I don't know if either of these were involved, but I know that I've woken up after a big night (alcohol only) and my memory of what occurred the night before has been entirely different to what actually occurred.

I've also woken up not knowing if a memory was a dream or a reality.

There could be many influencing factors that distort the facts.

JK

Not true.

It means we allow due process to occur without assumptions clouding our perceptions of the people involved.

If you are a juror I hope you don't go into a trial assuming the witnesses are lying! :shock:

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Drugs and alcohol can blur both memory and judgement. I don't know if either of these were involved, but I know that I've woken up after a big night (alcohol only) and my memory of what occurred the night before has been entirely different to what actually occurred.

Thats what happens when you drink too much. Stupid.

ibeme

First Grade
Mark Rudd said:

Thats what happens when you drink too much. Stupid.

Thanks for the tip scoop. I wasn't aware of that. :roll:

Crusader

Bench
I was merely reiterating the fact that these kinds of allegations are generally based on true events, embellished or otherwise.

Dogaholic

First Grade
1_CRUSADER2 said:
I was merely reiterating the fact that these kinds of allegations are generally based on true events, embellished or otherwise.

Yet some are some are alleged to gain a quick buck.

[furrycat]

Coach
It is funny how everyone seems to badmouth the media, yet those who do are seemingly being hypocritical and posting absolute rubbish which they have either made up or been told by their goldfish. Just wait for the Director of Public Prosections to announce their report... Stop speculating because no one is aware of the full circumstances of the investigation.

JK

Can someone confirm what was just on the Ch.7 Sunrise program - something about the woman involved and blackmail?

It was on the news that scrolls on the bottom of the screen and I missed it.

JK

Saw it again, it is
"mystery woman tries to blackmail Bulldogs over NRL gang rape"

Latest posts