What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Deal Nev

super_coach

First Grade
Tigers recruitment man known in the trade as "NO DEAL NEV" lived true to his name when he missed the siganture of big Villa. When asked, Nev said " it all came down to dollars and the dollar we offered was rejected"

Dont be suprised if No deal has somthing up his sleeve,he was seen talking to a couple players at the end of the netball test between Australia and the Silver Ferns.

A leading player manager,re named Nev,as "the free lunch".He said when you were hungry you gave Nev a ring and he would wine you and dine you and get a few more dollars for his client at another club by forcing the price up.

Yes No Deal Nev is going to be the X factor thats going to make 2007 a year to remember

colonel_123

Juniors
While I am worried about our recruitment for next season (although the way John Morris has been leading the Eels around for the last few games that could turn out to be a real good buy) it's clear that the Tigers are committed to not paying overs for any player and relying on juniors coming out of our three feeder areas. (Wests Magpies, Balmain Tigers and Keebra Park) They seem to be committed to not letting another Hoffman slip through the cracks.

Not only do has the club managed to hold onto our last crop of stars (Halatau, Fulton, Gibbs, Farah, Marshall, McDonnell, Collis, Harrison) but they are now attempting to bring through the next crop of youngsters and hold onto them. (Flanagan, Jeffrey, Trimarchi, Gallant, Chase, Tuiaki, Crockett, Moa, Saffy, Rysko, Lawrence)

It seems that with the exception of a few key purchases, made at the right price, (Galloway, O'Hara, Lolesi, Whatuira, Morris, Galea) the club is committed to replacing departing players with juniors from with in the club and thus hold onto as many promising juniors as possible.

Would you rather the club compete with offers from the Rabbitohs of $450 000 a year for Asotasi or from the Knights for $300 000 for Simpson, or the Roosters and pay $350 000 for Myles?

Wouldn't that just take us back to the days when we were paying $600 000 a year for Terry Hill to warm the bench?

brook

First Grade
colonel_123 said:
While I am worried about our recruitment for next season (although the way John Morris has been leading the Eels around for the last few games that could turn out to be a real good buy) it's clear that the Tigers are committed to not paying overs for any player and relying on juniors coming out of our three feeder areas. (Wests Magpies, Balmain Tigers and Keebra Park) They seem to be committed to not letting another Hoffman slip through the cracks.

Not only do has the club managed to hold onto our last crop of stars (Halatau, Fulton, Gibbs, Farah, Marshall, McDonnell, Collis, Harrison) but they are now attempting to bring through the next crop of youngsters and hold onto them. (Flanagan, Jeffrey, Trimarchi, Gallant, Chase, Tuiaki, Crockett, Moa, Saffy, Rysko, Lawrence)

It seems that with the exception of a few key purchases, made at the right price, (Galloway, O'Hara, Lolesi, Whatuira, Morris, Galea) the club is committed to replacing departing players with juniors from with in the club and thus hold onto as many promising juniors as possible.

I'd feel better about that if I didn't know that Moa and Saffy at least are still not under contract for next year - considering that a) we're losing some forwards b) we've failed to sign a quality prop and c) there are very few good props on the market so other teams are going to be on the look-out for quality youngsters its hard not to be a little concerned.

aladinsane

Juniors
I agree with you,Brook.....the Wests Tigers must sign up Saffy and Moa right away.Saffy is a very good prospect.

On the tiles

Juniors
Thats one thing I like about our team is that we seem to have a no dickhead policy and won't pay overs.

But I also hope they don't have the same policy when it comes to holding on to the likes of Farah and Co.

braz

Juniors
super_coach said:
Tigers recruitment man known in the trade as "NO DEAL NEV" lived true to his name when he missed the siganture of big Villa. When asked, Nev said " it all came down to dollars and the dollar we offered was rejected"

Dont be suprised if No deal has somthing up his sleeve,he was seen talking to a couple players at the end of the netball test between Australia and the Silver Ferns.

A leading player manager,re named Nev,as "the free lunch".He said when you were hungry you gave Nev a ring and he would wine you and dine you and get a few more dollars for his client at another club by forcing the price up.

Yes No Deal Nev is going to be the X factor thats going to make 2007 a year to remember

What's your beef with Warren McDonnell? Did he run over your cat??

This is about the third post you have started on him.

Balmain Bug

Juniors
Warren McDonnell and Steve Noyce will never pay "overs" for anyone. They are very shrewd spenders and pretty tight on the dollar. They have been put into a position where they have to make sure that what happened at WT in 2000 and 2001 (expenditure wise) does not happen again.

WT's partners are in rebuilding phases themselves and need any of their inputted funds spent wisely.

I know it's tough missing out on players but rarely will you see the WT pay "Overs" for a player.

Vicious

Bench
We have the best production line in the NRL bar none. With that in mind it`s no good going overboard with new recruits. On top of some of the brilliant young backs whom we all saw on display today, we also have the 2 most promising young forwards in the game who should both be ready to explode onto the 1st grade scene within the next 12-18 months max. The last thing we want is to hold any of these kids back longer than they should be and then see them head elsewhere because of it.

chopsy_05

Juniors
We were prepared to pay overs for Prince though... Especially after his form this year BIG OVERS!!!

brook

First Grade
chopsy_05 said:
We were prepared to pay overs for Prince though... Especially after his form this year BIG OVERS!!!

We payed overs for Sam Harris as well and, although imo it was worth it, we also did for Galloway.

Sometimes if you need a player bad enough you've got to

meltiger

First Grade
colonel_123 said:
relying on juniors coming out of our three feeder areas. (Wests Magpies, Balmain Tigers and Keebra Park)

Just out of interest, is the club expecting to keep the Keebra deal in place long term?

Knowing how strong that school has traditionally been, I would have thought there'd now be a fight between the Tigers and the Titans for the Juniors coming out of Southport/Keebra?

brook

First Grade
I think that officially our deal is still in place. In reality though the kids will go where they want to regardless of which club the school is affiliated with and we should expect that the majority of them are going to want to stay close to home if they have the option. We'll probably still get kids from Keebra Park but it'd be silly to expect to keep getting the same number of quality kids that we are atm

scarcev

Juniors
chopsy_05 said:

Do you even watch football??

Scott Prince came over here to play under Sheens for pittance compared to the market offerings to other mediocre halfbacks. He became the 2006 Churchill Medallist, 2006 Captain of the Year, 2006 Premiership winning captain giving the WT their first ever Premiership as a JV, and as well is the WT first ever Kangaroo!!!

Over the odds eh? You are kidding?

meltiger

First Grade
brook said:
We'll probably still get kids from Keebra Park but it'd be silly to expect to keep getting the same number of quality kids that we are atm

When watching the Grand Final last year though (The schools GF), they mentioned that a lot of the kids were actually Junior Kiwis, is this true or the commentators being dicks? ie 1 or 2 constituting 'a lot' lol

I found it strange because Keebra has always basically been the school version of Southport Tigers, I wouldn't see them allowing the Tigers to place huge amounts of Kiwi kids at the school, but that was the clear implication from the commentators?

brook

First Grade
meltiger said:
When watching the Grand Final last year though (The schools GF), they mentioned that a lot of the kids were actually Junior Kiwis, is this true or the commentators being dicks? ie 1 or 2 constituting 'a lot' lol

I found it strange because Keebra has always basically been the school version of Southport Tigers, I wouldn't see them allowing the Tigers to place huge amounts of Kiwi kids at the school, but that was the clear implication from the commentators?

I dunno how many out of each years team but every player we have picked up from keebra park has been a kiwi.

super_coach

First Grade
Yes we have a good supply of young backs and backrowers but my point is we are short in the frontrow and the halves.This is where games are won and lost.
Now these young kids will get better quicker behind a dominating forward pack.Sundays match was brillant,but next year without boof and skando and prince these results wont come easy or often

chopsy_05

Juniors
scarcev said:
Do you even watch football??

Scott Prince came over here to play under Sheens for pittance compared to the market offerings to other mediocre halfbacks. He became the 2006 Churchill Medallist, 2006 Captain of the Year, 2006 Premiership winning captain giving the WT their first ever Premiership as a JV, and as well is the WT first ever Kangaroo!!!

Over the odds eh? You are kidding?

The question is do you watch football....
The tigers were apparently going to pay $450,000 to retain him. Sure he had a good season last year but 2004 was disappointing as has his 2006. It's safe to say that Prince shines when he has Benji next to him. If you think $450,000 isn't an over for him then good luck to you, but paying that for Prince would've ensured that we would not have been able to retain alot of our juniors coming through.

boonboon

Juniors
given we didnt pay overs though it means we didn't we arent paying him anything and he is a test, SOO, premiership winning player so 450000 would be about right