What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No free to air coverage for one dayers

butchmcdick

Immortal
Cricket fans beware — Australia v South Africa ODIs won't be on free-to-air TV
By national sport editor David Mark
Updated about an hour ago

PHOTO: Australia's ODIs against South Africa will only be on pay TV. (AAP: David Mariuz)

Tomorrow will be a history-making day for Australian cricket.

For the first time ever, a one day international won't be shown on free-to-air TV in Australia, and there are predictions cricket fans will be angry.

"I think they're going to be furious, and the impact of that is you're going to lose more followers from the game," Brett Geeves, a former Australian and Sheffield Shield player, said.

Sunday's game is the first of 10 one-day and T20 internationals that will be shown exclusively on Fox Sports, and you can add to that 16 Big Bash games that you won't be able to watch on Channel 7.

"I think there will be a lot of people who will be upset by it," media analyst Peter Cox said.

Cricket Australia signed the new six-year $1.2 billion TV rights deal in April.

Mr Cox said the fact the Foxtel/Seven West rights deal was announced in the middle of the football season could mean the details were lost on some fans who will be turning on their television tomorrow expecting to watch the one-day international on free-to-air TV.

Fusion Strategy media analyst Steve Allen expects those fans will vent on social media.

PHOTO: This ODI series and the upcoming T20s against India will only be on Fox Sports. (AP / PA: Richard Sellers)

"Yes, they'll get a bit of a shock. It will start plenty of social chatter on Twitter feeds," Mr Allen said.

And you could forgive the public for being surprised by the news. Even some Australian players like Chris Lynn have been caught off guard.

Making the move from Nine

Generations of cricket fans have been raised on Wide World of Sports' coverage, but just how different will Seven's coverage be?

"Yeah, I only found that out yesterday," Lynn said.

"Obviously we'd love to have it on free-to-air TV, but the reality is the deal's been done and I think it's quite a good deal.

"If you can get to a pub and watch it and have a family outing, that'd be great, but yeah, we're going to have to wait until the Test matches for some free-to-air cricket."

Fox Sports will screen all cricket this year, while Channel 7 will simulcast the four Test matches against India, two against Sri Lanka and 43 Big Bash games. Both networks will screen all Australian women's internationals and 23 women's Big Bash games.

If you want it all, you'll have to pay for a Foxtel subscription — that's $58 per month to get the sport package or $68 if you want it in HD. The streaming service Foxtel Now costs $54 per month.

Foxtel has about 2.8 million subscribers in Australia, but a spokesman declined to tell the ABC how many of those pay extra for the sports package.

"The problem Foxtel has is to convert the popularity of cricket into new subscribers, and I think that will be very difficult to do in this day and age," Mr Cox said.

"The worrying thing, of course, is what is this going to do for the popularity of one day cricket?"

England offers cautionary tale
There is a precedent — England made the change in 2005 when Sky Sports won the exclusive rights to televise cricket.

"The result of doing that in England with cricket was pretty devastating," Mr Cox said.

PHOTO: Never before has an ODI in Australia not been on free to air TV. (AAP: Dave Hunt)

"The number of people watching cricket, the number of people going to matches, the popularity of the sport has fallen … so that is a big warning sign."

For Geeves, the move is synonymous with a broader problem that has beset Australian cricket in recent years.

The Longstaff review into the culture of the game in this country said Cricket Australia rewarded winning above all else and tied financial rewards to success.

"The game's become like Australia's immigration policy — you can get in if you've got cash," Geeves said.

One day internationals are on the Federal Government's anti-siphoning list, which requires major sports to be available on free-to-air TV.

What it means for fans

Here's how the changes to TV broadcasting will impact you and what some of you thought about the change.

When the deal was announced in April, Federal Communications Minister Mitch Fifield said it wasn't a breach of those rules to show those games exclusively on pay TV.

"But what happens if there's an incredible outpouring of hostility and the Government is attacked on this?" Mr Allen said.

If that was the case, he said the Government might ask Channel 7 to simulcast the games.

"I certainly think there should be that pressure. I think legally probably the horse has bolted," Mr Cox said.

The ABC asked the Minister if he would be prepared to ask Channel 7 to simulcast the limited overs matches, but his office did not reply.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...shock-with-one-dayers-behind-paywall/10461746

Sorry if this has been posted

I wasn’t aware of it before

f**k you Mitch Fifield and any other merkin who thought this would be a good idea

Eion

First Grade
They have completely lost the plot.

For a few extra short term coins they may well have f**ked cricket for good. Absolute merkins. The lot of them.

Bazal

Post Whore
They have completely lost the plot.

For a few extra short term coins they may well have f**ked cricket for good. Absolute merkins. The lot of them.

Once again, the networks did not bid for the ODIs. Nine bid for the Tests only, Seven were happy to allow Fox the ODIs and T20s to bulk up their own bid and outdo Nine for the Tests and the BBL.

Ten did bid for the whole summer, but their figure was well short and they are already nearly bankrupt anyway.

CA are merkins, but what should they have done?

Eion

First Grade
You sure about that? 9 didn’t bid for ODI and T20 at all?

If that’s the case I’m not sure, maybe cricket Aus could have got all political about it. At least make the public hate 9 instead of them.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Doesn't affect me, but still think ch7 are wankers.

They had every chance to negotiate the ODI and kick off the summer, after all they are now the No1 free to air ticket holder for cricket, regardless if the ODIs were gonna rate or not. You would think Perth would get a great crowd , new stadium for game 1 to kick things off on a Sunday.

Nine are doing the ashes and World cup next year, wonder if this was part of 7 avoiding ODIs?

Bazal

Post Whore
You sure about that? 9 didn’t bid for ODI and T20 at all?

If that’s the case I’m not sure, maybe cricket Aus could have got all political about it. At least make the public hate 9 instead of them.

That's what was reported. If I remember rightly, they then put together a slapstick eleventh hour bid with Channel Ten, with Nine still only broadcasting the Tests and Ten carrying all the short form stuff. I think it was 300k short of the Foxtel bid, and obviously hinged on confidence in Channel Ten...

I'm no CA fan and I already wrote a reasonably long post on this in the ODI match day thread. But realistically they only got one bid worth considering.

El Diablo

Post Whore
f**k you Mitch Fifield and any other merkin who thought this would be a good idea
why blame him?

7 did not bid for them

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/545396ccbe488bd8571c4053c2696e7f

SEVEN’S CRICKET TV BLACKOUT

CHANNEL 7 has given broadcast rivals Foxtel a massive free-kick to establish its credentials as the TV home of Australian cricket in all forms.

When the season officially starts with three one-day internationals against South Africa in Perth next Sunday, Adelaide (November 9) and Hobart (November 11), Seven won’t be there.

Not a camera and not a commentator.

Cricket fans across the country are facing a free-to-air blackout for all limited-over internationals against South Africa and then India.

India arrive after the Proteas series for three T20 internationals in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. Say what you want about Channel 9’s old coverage but at least the network covered every game from the first ball of the season to the last.

Under anti-siphoning laws, Channel 7 has the right to broadcast the one-dayers but declined.

Cricket lovers will at least have Foxtel, which will roll out the biggest names in cricket — Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Mark Waugh — for the opening game against South Africa.

TheParraboy

Staff member
why the surprise?

this has been known since they did the new TV deal

doesn't affect me

but is a big surprise to those who don't have Fox, and assumed international home cricket would be covered like the last 40 years

El Diablo

Post Whore
this is from April

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...ng-rules-in-cricket-deal-20180415-p4z9r8.html

One Day and Twenty20s internationals are on the government's anti-siphoning list, which gives free-to-air broadcasters the first to buy sporting events the government thinks should be freely available to the public.

Communications Minister Mitch Fifield has said it was “for Cricket Australia to explain how the arrangements they have entered into are in the interests of cricket fans and participants”.

But Mr Worner said public criticism about the deal comes down to a "misunderstanding" of the list. Mr Worner said that because Seven has the rights to broadcast these two sports but is choosing to allow Foxtel to show them exclusively as part of the deal, the deal does not contravene the rules.

thorson1987

Coach
Doesn't affect me, but still think ch7 are wankers.

They had every chance to negotiate the ODI and kick off the summer, after all they are now the No1 free to air ticket holder for cricket, regardless if the ODIs were gonna rate or not. You would think Perth would get a great crowd , new stadium for game 1 to kick things off on a Sunday.

Nine are doing the ashes and World cup next year, wonder if this was part of 7 avoiding ODIs?

Ashes in England and World Cup would be done under different rights negotiations wouldn't they due to CA not being the ones to actually sell them?

Bazal

Post Whore
From those comments. Ch7 clearly had an deal with Fox.

Ch10 960m for it all seems far better

Yeah they definitely should have taken a quarter of a mill less for inferior coverage from the folks who brought us the BBL circus. Not to mention their regional subsidiaries have gone tits up and been sold to WIN.

Thing is, people will be unhappy no matter what bid they took. Blaming CA misses the bigger picture. Why did the networks not give a shit about the ODIs?

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah they definitely should have taken a quarter of a mill less for inferior coverage from the folks who brought us the BBL circus. Not to mention their regional subsidiaries have gone tits up and been sold to WIN.

Thing is, people will be unhappy no matter what bid they took. Blaming CA misses the bigger picture. Why did the networks not give a shit about the ODIs?

CA is meant to do what is best for the game. How does this help the game going forward

butchmcdick

Immortal

I disagree but I can see your and El’s points

I can’t believe they won’t at least show the Indian games

Social media will be interesting when people realise

Eelectrica

Referee
So apparently we can watch the game on the cricket app. Anyone know if it's possible to cast it onto TV? I'm guessing not because the NRL can't be cast, but different app and all so maybe?

I'm able to cast Twitch and youtube streams without any trouble.

Bazal

Post Whore
CA is meant to do what is best for the game. How does this help the game going forward

How does taking a quarter of a million less to sell the rights to a channel on the verge of bankruptcy help going forward?

I don't think Fox is the perfect solution by any means, but there are two points here. Channel Seven could still choose to show the ODIs under anti-siphoning, and they have chosen not to. The other networks either did not even bid for the ODIs, or bid for them as an afterthought. There are so many more factors than just "ffs CA" involved in this

Bazal

Post Whore
I disagree but I can see your and El’s points

I can’t believe they won’t at least show the Indian games

Social media will be interesting when people realise

Perhaps if the folks on social media watched the ODI matches in the first place, they'd have rated well enough for the networks to bid good coin for them...

And I'm not including yourself in that assessment, but I find it funny that the ratings have been so low that the networks don't even care if they broadcast the games or not, yet when they aren't it seems like 97% of the country are up in arms.

Latest posts