What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Merritt Awards for City Selectors

Master Vippo

Juniors
Dodger said:
I would hope Hazem's strike rate would get him in there over Lyon based on that.
Lyon hasn't been that great all over the park this year tbh, quite overrated. Been a lowlight in a star-studded backline really, Stewart, Bell, Hicks have all outshone him.

Lyon plays centre, Hazem plays wing, they arent competing for a spot...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He's a brilliant finisher if you have a good kicker who knows how to place a wide grubber, always wins the race to the ball, and if he doesn't usually forces a repeat set. Invaluable to any team IMO, and then you add in the goalkicking ability... is this Hazem's year?

league

Juniors
This is like Blacklock all over again.

Hazem deserves a wing spot, his goalkicking alone is a HUGE bonus, especially in tight Origin affairs.

Master Vippo

Juniors
He lacks spark unfortunately. He's solid, but doesnt have that game breaking X factor they want (though not too many NSW winger do ATM).

I think with so many god fullbacks, we could also play one of them on the wing.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I would pick him as I think relying on a part timer in Lyon kicking is way too big a risk. And I rate him as a winger over all of the other players anyway.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Master Vippo said:
Lyon plays centre, Hazem plays wing, they arent competing for a spot...

The thing with NSW is that the centre and wing positions are so often interchangable that certain combinations are likely to force one or the other out. I have little doubt Hazem will miss out but it's nice to think he could be in contention. I hope his showing against Country and Newcastle this week gives the selectors food for thought :)

brendothejet

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Couldn't do much worse than the tripe Gower has been serving up this year!:lol:

ohhh god.

Aren't you dead yet?

Why did glenn miller's plane crash and not yours???

Although out of a trombone player and yourself you should be proud you blow harder.

Johns Magic

Referee
Dodger said:
I'll keep my opinion. You keep your PM's from your mates.

:thumb

Wow...you're like a real-life Robin Hood.

Stand up for the little guy Dodge, everyone's right here behind you :roll:

lucablight

First Grade
Alba said:
Bloody disgrace.. Hayne=oxygen thief ... Merritt=champion

As much as I believe Merritt should have been in the team ahead of Hayne to call him an oxygen thief is very dumb.

Dave Q

Coach
These selectors are pretty tired and backwards looking for mine.

Merritt is a sound defender other than a freak try-scorer.

He did enough today in a beaten side to warrant closer consideration.

What are we going to do? Bore the Queenslanders into submission.

good news, good to see a decent player like nathan merritt removed from the biggest non-event on the footballing calendar.

yobbo84

Coach
Jarryd Hayne is probably one of THE worst defensive wingers in the competition. That was OK last year because he was scoring tries a plenty. This year he has done squat. Merritt has scored a bag of tries, most of them created by himself, been fantastic in defense and brilliant in his kick-chase. His non-selection is a disgrace of Alan Tongue proportions!

JJ

Immortal
Is Merritt going to be hurt by the view (perpetuated by many commentators) that he's too small for rep football?

Disgrace, he's close to (or is) the best winger in the comp atm

yobbo84

Coach
JJ said:
Is Merritt going to be hurt by the view (perpetuated by many commentators) that he's too small for rep football?

Disgrace, he's close to (or is) the best winger in the comp atm

More than likely. But it's ridiculous. People make out that he's tiny. He's about 90kgs FFS. And yesterday he outlept Todd Byrne and Wade McKinnon on separate occasions, both who'd have a good 10cm on him. At the moment, and this is no exaggeration, he is second in the NRL to Matt Bowen in the ability to create something out of nothing. The NSW team they'll pick will be a team of monsters and in turn totally devoid of creativity. QLD 3-0.

MattJ

Juniors
If Merritts form all last year and up to this point this season hasn't warrented selection even in a city v country game, then im sorry to say that Nathan wont ever be playing rep footy, aside from a possible prime ministers xiii if we continue finishing out of the 8.
He couldnt have done much more for consideration, last years highest try scorer, this years highest nsw bred try scorer up to this point in time, bulked up his frame considerably and has been a very sound defender so far this year.
I guess its a relief as a souths supporter to know that we dont have to worry about risking injury to a valuable player in what is a pretty pointless match, but cant help but feel for Nathan, a city jersey looked to be a certainty, and Hayne it has to be said has not carried his form from last season in to this one.

Latest posts