What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Merritt Awards for City Selectors

NGR

Juniors
MattJ said:
If Merritts form all last year and up to this point this season hasn't warrented selection even in a city v country game, then im sorry to say that Nathan wont ever be playing rep footy, aside from a possible prime ministers xiii if we continue finishing out of the 8.
He couldnt have done much more for consideration, last years highest try scorer, this years highest nsw bred try scorer up to this point in time, bulked up his frame considerably and has been a very sound defender so far this year.
I guess its a relief as a souths supporter to know that we dont have to worry about risking injury to a valuable player in what is a pretty pointless match, but cant help but feel for Nathan, a city jersey looked to be a certainty, and Hayne it has to be said has not carried his form from last season in to this one.

yep merritt stays fit and ready to take on the broncos... shame he was left out but i want souths to win not city or country...

on another note, widders missed out too, he was playing pretty good as well... It seems selectors in NSW still believe picking souths players is a lost cause...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
JJ said:
Is Merritt going to be hurt by the view (perpetuated by many commentators) that he's too small for rep football?

Disgrace, he's close to (or is) the best winger in the comp atm
It would very strange considering the official line that El Masri was chosen in front of him. He ain't a big bloke.

The official line all indicates it was Hayne first picked, El Masri second with his goal kicking helping his selection and Merritt third.

panthersballboy

Juniors
It is a shame Merritt didn't get a look in. It would have been good to see how he could go in a rep match, he should be there over Hazem. Hazem is in the Covell class when it comes to pace for a winger and reps games are usually faster than the average NRL game. I would rather a winger who can score a length of the field try than one who can kick goals.

Also how Gower got in before Orford I'll never know. His kicking game was brilliant up to 2004 but has been well down for a while now. Orford has been the best NSW half playing in the NRL and deserved a shot in this game, hell even Monas has been playing a lot better than gower. I think due to him being the City captain for a few years now got him the gig.

A couple of positives though it has ages since we have seen Mini and Bedsy in a city v country game, looking forward to these guys fighting for their NSW and Aus spots back.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
If Merritt could not be picked in the City/Country match after his form over the past year, then I doubt he ever will.

Alex28

Coach
Just on Channel Ten - Merritt has played the "race" card and said that racism is why he didn't get selected.

Hello? Campbell? Hazem? Hayne?

What a whinging little bitch...

fulltime

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Just on Channel Ten - Merritt has played the "race" card and said that racism is why he didn't get selected.

they are racist, didn't you know presto is actually scottish with an all year tan. :roll:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Alex28 said:

Was he quoted? f**k off idiot.

mattyg

Bench
Merritt claiming racism?? Who's in his place?? HAZEM EL MASRI. I'll wait for a quote before i shoot off my mouth, but racism definately didn't factor in this...and i thought Merritt deserved to be picked, over Hayne

Alex28

Coach
S.S.T.I.D said:
Was he quoted? f**k off idiot.
Speaking of whinging little bitches...

Just reporting the story champ. The story said he said he felt it was due to racism to club officials, he was then asked by a reporter whether he felt he was discrimintated against and he replied that he would concentrate on playing for Souths and he felt he was "no chance" of playing SOO.

Perhaps he should just face the fact that Hazem was selected because of his kicking and that if he keeps scoring tries and defending well they will eventually select him.

NGR

Juniors
Alex28 said:

Just reporting the story champ. The story said he said he felt it was due to racism to club officials, he was then asked by a reporter whether he felt he was discrimintated against and he replied that he would concentrate on playing for Souths and he felt he was "no chance" of playing SOO.

Perhaps he should just face the fact that Hazem was selected because of his kicking and that if he keeps scoring tries and defending well they will eventually select him.
your a drop kick, merritt didnt once mentiuon race, ten news did...

he said he thought he deserved it and doesnt see himself making origin... :roll::roll::roll:

Alex28

Coach
He didn't exactly deny saying or thinking it when pressed on the claim...

If it is all wrong - I'll look forward to Merritt suing Channel Ten...

NGR

Juniors
he didnt deny it because channel ten cut to a different part of the story.

are you really that stupid?

Alex28

Coach
OK...so it might have been Channel Ten's editing...either way there is a report that he feels he has been discriminated against and there was no comment from him denying the claim. He was asked whether he felt he was discriminated against and he did not directly say "No".

It is on Channel Seven as well - for Prime viewers it is just about to come on...

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Alex28 said:

The words 'racism' never left his mouth. When asked, he said no. Pull your head in.

Alex28

Coach
S.S.T.I.D said:
The words 'racism' never left his mouth. When asked, he said no. Pull your head in.

On Channel Seven he was asked about whether racism was the reason why he was left out he replied "Maybe. Not Too Sure." and then another comment which has definately been edited saying "They don't like indigenous players coming through" showing Merritt walking.

The last comment was sh*t editing by Seven no doubt. Make what you want from the first comment...

That wasn't exactly saying "No" champ...

cq

Juniors
Cumberland Throw said:
Even as a Parramatta fan, I find it laughable that Jarrod Hayne was picked in front of Nathan Merritt, they are both great wingers, but if this is picked on form, its a joke,

Whats everybody think??

I agree, I have been very impressed with Merritt this season.

Bumble

First Grade
Why is everyone making this about El Masri vs Merritt?

What the f**k has Hayne done to get in? An amazing 2 tries?

Azkatro

First Grade
Bumble said:
Why is everyone making this about El Masri vs Merritt?

What the f**k has Hayne done to get in? An amazing 2 tries?
Because Tim Sheens specifically stated that he chose El Masri over Merritt because of his goalkicking.

Latest posts