What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Merritt Awards for City Selectors

Sugar

Bench
Merritt is usually very quiet and shy towards the media,It was certainly a stupid thing to say and will not help his future rep chances.

Very out of character maybe someone has been in his ear.
Hopefully JT will have a little chat with him about it.

Sugar

Bench
Merritt questions rep snub
By Dean Ritchie
May 01, 2007

SOUTH Sydney winger Nathan Merritt caused a storm yesterday by raising the possibility his controversial omission from the City team was because he is Aboriginal.

Excitement machine Merritt, the scorer of 29 tries in 31 games, is still coming to terms with being left out of the representative team to play Country on Thursday night in Coffs Harbour.

Although stopping short of accusing selectors of being racist, Merritt wanted to know whether he was overlooked because he played at Souths or because of his skin colour.

"I wonder whether it was more a Souths thing or a racial thing," Merritt told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

"It's just a question."

Asked did he believe racism was still in rugby league, Merritt said: "It could be. There aren't too many indigenous players selected.

"But as long as I'm playing football in first grade it doesn't really bother me.

"I just wondered whether it was a racial thing. But I want to put it behind me."

City selectors chose Hazem El Masri and Jarryd Hayne as their wingers ahead of Merritt - El Masri is of Lebanese descent and Hayne of Fijian heritage.

"Any assertion of racism is ludicrous given the racial mix of the City team and given the ARL's (Australian Rugby League) history of picking players of all races," New South Wales Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said.

"Nathan Merritt is a good player and, if he continues his form, he may get an opportunity.

"But to allegedly blame it on racism makes no sense. Wingers Eric Grothe and Luke Rooney, who both have played for Australia, also missed out on selection."

Former Test captain Laurie Daley - who is part Aboriginal - was also highly sceptical about Merritt's theory.

"That wouldn't be the case," Daley said. "I'm sure Nathan was looked at for selection along with a lot of good players - selectors don't worry about a players' race, colour or creed.

"The best players were chosen."

Merritt said he couldn't hide his disappointment but was ready to move on.

"It was disappointing but there's always next year and hopefully I can keep going," he said.

"I know I've got no hope for State of Origin now but I'm not worried. I just want to play well for South Sydney.

"I was hoping for selection. I thought I had done enough this year to get picked for City.

"My form's been good and I thought I was going to be in there.

"I now just want to have a big game this Friday night against Brisbane."

Souths co-owner Russell Crowe yesterday expressed surprise Merritt had been overlooked.

"Who is the winger who can contain Nathan Merritt? The answer is nobody in the NRL," Crowe said.

"If you don't choose Nathan in your rep sides, you're not serious about the potentials of our game."

Aside from missing selection, Merritt watched as his Souths side got beaten in the final 30 seconds by New Zealand last Sunday at Homebush.

"It was one of those bad days you don't want to remember," he said. "It was a tough one."

The Informer

Juniors
I was also surprised that Merritt missed out, and would have had him in front of a couple chosen, such is team and rep sporting selections - but he is now a complete fool. Obviously gained straight A's at the Choc Academy in the Chip On The Shoulder classes. Seems the go these days from most young sports people, whinge and wine at the slightest hint of not getting what they thought they should have. There's plenty of disappointments along the way, and it's not like he's been in startling form for 2 or 3 yrs and missed out, would have been much better advised to have just acknowledged his disappointment and moved on, putting more good form on the board for future reference. Now he has opened a can of worms, for no reason, that will dog him for good. Fool.

hrundi99

First Grade
Mundine as Indigenous Liaison Officer?

Good grief...

His us vs them mentality is really going to bring objectivity to the cause...

hybrid_tiger

Coach
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and he deserves not be be picked for that stupid outburst.

Whats with this f**king whinging, victim mentality? Mundine, Blacklock and now Merritt. Get over ya selves, FFS.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
851 said:
He might be in better form than hayne but not Elmasri.
Elmasri never gets caught in goal,and very rarely if ever drops a bomb or fumbles a grubber,his positional play more than makes up for his perceived lack of pace.
Just maybe Byrne wouldn't have scored that try against Souths on sunday if Hazem was on the wing,he would have been better positioned to cover the kick,it's called experience and Hazem has it in bucket loads.

Hazem doesn't get caught in-goal because he always dives to the ground. Then when someone tries to drag him back they get penalised. He is the best goalkicker of all time, but don't give me this crap that he is a better winger than Merritt. How many tries has he scored over the past year, considering the great side he is playing in?

That said, I can understand his disappointment of missing out, but it has nothing to do with race. The issue is that the selectors don't think he is good enough, yet looking through the sides, there are plenty there that can consider themselves lucky.

drake

First Grade
It's not racist... it's just top scoring wingers called Nathan. Really.

Raider Azz

Bench
Ziggy the God said:
Hazem doesn't get caught in-goal because he always dives to the ground. Then when someone tries to drag him back they get penalised. He is the best goalkicker of all time, but don't give me this crap that he is a better winger than Merritt. How many tries has he scored over the past year, considering the great side he is playing in?

That said, I can understand his disappointment of missing out, but it has nothing to do with race. The issue is that the selectors don't think he is good enough, yet looking through the sides, there are plenty there that can consider themselves lucky.
exactlly. there are plenty of players unlucky to miss out - tongue and stewart are two of those players. race has nothing to do with it and merritt has just made himself looks like a complete fool and a whinger by suggesting as much.

yobbo84

Coach
This is a post by pplspoet on The Pride (unofficial Souths forum).. he makes some good points.

http://rabbitohs.nospam2248.com/index.cgi?board=sff&action=post&thread=1177977519&quote=1177977519&page=1 said:
I cant argue with what Nathan has said... Although i think it is less to do with skin colour and more to do with racial traits.

In the pro category you have guys like Blacklock, Peachey, Wesser, Bowen (Who should be playing more rep footy than he is) and El Masri (Who gets his City jersey each year but isnt a real chance at playing for NSW or Australia... Plus it took alot of pleading his case before he was even considered for rep football)... Also Amos Roberts who is in a similar situation to El Masri...

I think in all cases these guys are punished for not being big, strong machines in the ilk of what we assume a rep player should be. Their talents are overlooked because they are seen as liabilities.

In the same way i think selectors often dismiss Dean Widders because for all intensive purposes he looks overweight...

The obvious chink in the armour is Thaiday... Who has been fast tracked despite his indigenous heritage... But that is becasue he is built like an islander...

I think Crowe said it best... What winger in the game can shut down Nathan Merritt???

Similar statements could be made about Bowen and the like... But at the end of the day... Despite your solid defence and attacking flair... The selectors go for the atypical looking footballer... Less endowed with skill and flare... But better equiped with size and in the selectors minds atleast 'safety'...

And we wonder why there are no footballers left!

Noa

First Grade
yobbo84 said:
This is a post by pplspoet on The Pride (unofficial Souths forum).. he makes some good points.

Nice points and I agree with everyone them. The selectors, have in the past imo, let racial stereo-types guide there decisions. The best example of this is David Peachey, should have played nearly 20 times for NSW, but I bet in those selection meetings the old chestnuts came up, goes "walkabout", defence not strong enough, can he be trusted not to make mistakes etc.

Ask Greg Inglis the real reason he didnt want to play for NSW.

Danish

Referee
KeepingTheFaith said:
The St George five-eighth often said his Aboriginal heritage was the reason Test champions Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler were selected ahead of him for NSW and Australia.

Too bad Laurie Daley is part aboriginal hey??

Besides that, Mundine did get a shot at NSW and failed miserably. Deer in the headlights stuff. THAT is the reason he never played rep footy again (that, and being the 3rd best NSW 5/8 couldn't have helped)

Bench
Natalie's Daddy said:
There has to be more to a wingers game than just scoring alot of tries.
And that is why Hazem got selected,his allround game is better.Hayne on the other hand,I have no idea,much like the selectors.

Seano

Juniors
yawn said:
what's merritt's defence like though?

Pretty bloody good!

He's pulled off some outstanding tackles this year and general defense has been good too!

Latest posts