What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Ive done 14hr shifts.

images

Bazal

Post Whore
I just had a union rep try and convince me to join some kind of upcoming protest re: penalty rates.

A rep from the same union that signed off on EBAs that scrapped 10pm-6am off peak work penalties, scrapped Saturday penalties, scrapped weekend and public holiday penalties for salary employees, scrapped overtime penalties for salary employees, and reduced Sunday penalties from 2.0 to 1.3 and PH penalties from 2.5 to 1.5

And yet answering "what penalties" still made them pissy at me!

Gronk

Staff member
I just had a union rep try and convince me to join some kind of upcoming protest re: penalty rates.

A rep from the same union that signed off on EBAs that scrapped 10pm-6am off peak work penalties, scrapped Saturday penalties, scrapped weekend and public holiday penalties for salary employees, scrapped overtime penalties for salary employees, and reduced Sunday penalties from 2.0 to 1.3 and PH penalties from 2.5 to 1.5

And yet answering "what penalties" still made them pissy at me!

Unions have justified their place in history with what they have achieved for workers rights, but I agree they can be idiots at the same time.

My son started work to deliver pizzas with a major chain and was told that he would be be paid X/h but ended up getting far less.

When he started with the Co, he signed many forms, one was a application to join the appropriate union and an acknowledgement that he would pay a few $$ a week in union fees.

Anyway when he got his first pay he confronted his boss who told him stiff shit I'm paying you less than I said at the interview. Cos I can under the award. After a month of riding dangerous scooters he chucked it in and rang his union about a) being paid less than was offered and b) unsafe working conditions. Obviously hoping that the union would use their clout and go into bat for him.

The Union Rep looked him up and said that he wasn't a member. He explained that he signed the form prior to commencing work and the only reason he is not on their records is bc (perhaps) his boss had not sent it through. Stiff shit she said.

I called up said union lady and gave her a massive serve. Turns out it was that very union who negotiated the shittiest EBA in the history of workplace relations.

Has since been terminated --> http://www.afr.com/news/policy/indu...hes-new-eba-in-shock-decision-20180326-h0xyte

Bazal

Post Whore
Unions have justified their place in history with what they have achieved for workers rights, but I agree they can be idiots at the same time.

My son started work to deliver pizzas with a major chain and was told that he would be be paid X/h but ended up getting far less.

When he started with the Co, he signed many forms, one was a application to join the appropriate union and an acknowledgement that he would pay a few $$ a week in union fees.

Anyway when he got his first pay he confronted his boss who told him stiff shit I'm paying you less than I said at the interview. Cos I can under the award. After a month of riding dangerous scooters he chucked it in and rang his union about a) being paid less than was offered and b) unsafe working conditions. Obviously hoping that the union would use their clout and go into bat for him.

The Union Rep looked him up and said that he wasn't a member. He explained that he signed the form prior to commencing work and the only reason he is not on their records is bc (perhaps) his boss had not sent it through. Stiff shit she said.

I called up said union lady and gave her a massive serve. Turns out it was that very union who negotiated the shittiest EBA in the history of workplace relations.

Has since been terminated --> http://www.afr.com/news/policy/indu...hes-new-eba-in-shock-decision-20180326-h0xyte

They have no doubt been very useful and done a great job in years gone by. However they have run their course IMO. Basically cess pits of self interest at best, outright corruption at worst these days in my experience

Gronk

Staff member
They have no doubt been very useful and done a great job in years gone by. However they have run their course IMO. Basically cess pits of self interest at best, outright corruption at worst these days in my experience

You're not wrong.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Time for a breakaway league with Baz as the modern day Dally Messenger.

parra pete

Referee
A US Air Force C-130 was scheduled to leave Thule Air Base, Greenland, at midnight during a winter month. During the pilot's pre-flight check, he discovers that the latrine holding tank is still full from the last flight. So a message is sent to the base and an airman who was off duty is called out to take care of it.

The young man finally gets to the air base and makes his way to the aircraft only to find that the latrine pump-truck has been left outdoors and is frozen solid, so he must find another one in the hangar, which takes even more time. He returns to the aircraft and is less than enthusiastic about what he has to do. Nevertheless, he goes about the pumping job deliberately and carefully (and slowly) so as not to risk criticism later.

As he's leaving the plane, the pilot stops him and says, "Son, your attitude and performance has caused this flight to be late and I'm going to personally see to it that you are not just reprimanded, but punished."

Shivering in the cold, his task finished, he takes a deep breath, stands tall and says, "Sir, with all due respect, I'm not your son; I'm an Airman in the United States Air Force. I've been cooped up here in Thule, Greenland, for more than 11 months now, without any leave. Reindeer asses are beginning to look pretty good to me right about now. I have one stripe; it's 2:30 in the morning, the temperature is minus 40° F, and my job is to pump shit out of an aircraft."
"Now, just exactly what form of bloody punishment did you have in mind Sir?

Gronk

Staff member
Former Gold Coast Suns player set to launch bombshell case
AN EX-footballer is taking on the AFL for sexual harassment and “horrific” racial vilification he alleges occurred during his career.

news.com.auMAY 9, 20183:25PM
dfa3fea4e412f3463e2c6b44cb1aae82

Joel Wilkinson (right) with former teammates Tom Nicholls and Maverick Weller.Source:News Limited

FORMER Gold Coast Suns player Joel Wilkinson is preparing to sue the AFL over alleged racial vilification and sexual harassment during his playing career. Foundation Suns defender Wilkinson, who was delisted after playing 26 games in three seasons, last featured in the AFL in 2013.

Brisbane-based Shine Lawyers said the Sydney-born 26-year-old, of Nigerian descent, said legal action will be filed to the Human Rights Commission after talks with the AFL broke down.

The case is to allege Wilkinson was subjected to discrimination by AFL staff, Suns club officials and teammates, as well as opponents and spectators. His lawyers also claim he bore the brunt of “racially motivated sexual harassment in the changerooms by other players on numerous occasions”. Shine’s employment law expert, Will Barsby, said the league failed in its duty of care and allowed the “racial abuse, sexual taunting in the locker room, bullying and mistreatment” to continue, despite repeated requests for help. Mr Barsby said the AFL failed to protect Wilkinson from vilification beginning with his first game, when he debuted at 19 in 2011.

“In Australia playing AFL is a full-time job for many young people and like any job there are laws to protect your rights in the workplace,” he said. “The AFL isn’t exempt from these laws just because it is a national pastime. Sport is a business, players are employees.

“(The AFL) have let our client down and allowed the abuse to continue, it’s cut short his career and he’s been punished for speaking out being shunned by clubs for his stance against racism.” Wilkinson’s case also alleges he wasn’t offered further employment with the AFL or Suns due to his outspoken ways targeting racism.

An AFL spokesman said the league would “respond through the legal process”.

ABUSED IN HIS VERY FIRST GAME

215e444b331ac5bb7d636226744b12d9

Justin Sherman and Joel Wilkinson shake hands after a game in 2011. Pic: Darren England.Source:News Limited

Wilkinson, who has a Nigerian father, featured in an AFL Media-produced video titled Making A Stand in 2014 where he revealed the devastating impact racism had on his career.

He was racially vilified in his very first game by Western Bulldogs player Justin Sherman.

“My first game, and I’m out there playing and I heard the remark from a player, an opposition player, ‘You black c***,’” he recalled in the video. “I remember just thinking, ‘How do I go about this?’

“I was at the point where I actually was prepared to fight him, just to put the spotlight on the issue and make it a big issue.

“I remember being in the rooms with the captains and the coach. They said to me, ‘Joel, what do you want to do?’

“I remember saying that I want something to happen, because I could actually feel him thinking he was superior to me, and he felt like I was worthless.

“I actually felt like he was trying to make me feel like I was a little kid, a little black kid, a little piece of dirt. And he was just a superior being.”

Wilkinson was drafted as a Queensland zone election by the Suns in 2010 after excelling in athletics as a youth.

He was delisted at the end of the 2013 season and began playing for the Northern Blues in the VFL.

But he abruptly announced the end of his football career in 2015 and decided to chase an NFL dream.

He was signed by the Arizona Cardinals to play cornerback but was cut without playing a game. He returned to Australia and talked about trying to revive his AFL career but now at age 26 hasn’t been offered another opportunity.

3a844c756bccf6d85528f76eed934399

Joel Wilkinson after signing with the Arizona Cardinals.Source:Supplied

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/re...utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_source=News.com.au

Incorrect

Coach
So I went down the rat sac poison path to deal with those pesky myna birds terrorising my outdoor furniture and surrounds with their incessant pooping...

Mashed up a few of those green pellets of poison and then mixed it in with the contents of some mince meat, placed it on the back deck... Within 30 seconds, Bang! The f**kers were in to it... Watched them closely from inside, they had the lot eaten in no time. Here's hoping

hindy111

Post Whore
So I went down the rat sac poison path to deal with those pesky myna birds terrorising my outdoor furniture and surrounds with their incessant pooping...

Mashed up a few of those green pellets of poison and then mixed it in with the contents of some mince meat, placed it on the back deck... Within 30 seconds, Bang! The f**kers were in to it... Watched them closely from inside, they had the lot eaten in no time. Here's hoping

Im reporting you. I've screenshot this and your gping down,

merkin

Well done. that should be the last you'll see of them.