What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
I am all for renewable energy and also more efficent homes. I am still confused why so many people have black roof tiles when building new. Why arent all new houses built with those large concerete filled bricks, sarking, solar fans in roof spaces.Double glazed windows.
And solar should be now mandatory on new homes and factories. Even if it generates 25% of the power for now.
What type of solar do you have on your home Gronk?

I can't have solar ATM mate. I live in a heritage listed house and Council says that it can't be visible from the street. I had a guy out and he said that because of the large canopy from large fig trees that the current solar panels won't work very efficiently. Maybe down the track when the solar panels become more efficient (being able to function away from direct sunlight).

I did source my energy contract through here though ---> https://www.greenpower.gov.au/#

hindy111

Post Whore
I can't have solar ATM mate. I live in a heritage listed house and Council says that it can't be visible from the street. I had a guy out and he said that because of the large canopy from large fig trees that the current solar panels won't work very efficiently. Maybe down the track when the solar panels become more efficient (being able to function away from direct sunlight).

I did source my energy contract through here though ---> https://www.greenpower.gov.au/#

Good solar panels will generate from ambient light but less efficient. It may give you 25% of capablitly and cost wise not be worth it.
The other issue is for renters.
Why would a landlord want too put solar so tenant saves money and why would a tenant put solar on a place they rent?
What percentage of houses are rentals? Then how many are effected by shade.

The best you could do is energy efficent appliances I guess.

Gronk

Staff member
Good solar panels will generate from ambient light but less efficient. It may give you 25% of capablitly and cost wise not be worth it.
The other issue is for renters.
Why would a landlord want too put solar so tenant saves money and why would a tenant put solar on a place they rent?
What percentage of houses are rentals? Then how many are effected by shade.

The best you could do is energy efficent appliances I guess.

Yeah we installed Rinnai 26.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah we installed Rinnai 26.

Instaneous gas hot water? Did install the temp control pads?
I put then in my old house. Used to love setting it at 41 and just turn the hot water on.Right heat all the time.
Can be a little weak with maz temps of 48 for washing dishes I found.

84 Baby

Referee
Canberra up 2-nil in the 3rd. Can they come back from last nights 18-1 drubbing?
Also anyone think Sydney can finally break through to the big one?