What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Eelogical

Referee
What law is being broken by getting on a boat and being pulled up outside Australian waters? Are any of these people charged with an offense? It's not that great a contrast from arranging a visa under false pretenses (i.e. "I'm coming for a holiday") jumping on a plane and then claiming refugee status.

If it's not that great a contrast from arranging a visa under false pretenses and jumping on a plane, why take the far more dangerous route by boat?

Bazal

Post Whore
Understand your point entirely, but there is a contrast and a distinct difference.

Arranging a visa is a legitimate, authorised means of entering the country. Can it be exploited? No doubt.

So is seeking asylum by boat, which the government tries to pass off as "illegal".

The blokes organizing the boats are probably breaking a motza of laws, sure, but the poor f**kers coming over on them are not

Gronk

Staff member
Understand your point entirely, but there is a contrast and a distinct difference.

Arranging a visa is a legitimate, authorised means of entering the country. Can it be exploited? No doubt.
Also if you watched 4Corners the other week about the Saudi women seeking asylum, they told a story of a Saudi female who managed to fly out to Australia. She had secured a tourist visa however immigration questiones her as she was without a male companion. When she said that she planned to seek asylum, they sent her home. :rolling_eyes:

If it's not that great a contrast from arranging a visa under false pretenses and jumping on a plane, why take the far more dangerous route by boat?

I'm not saying that they are equally safe / dangerous (they're obviously not). But in terms of 'legitimacy' I don't see any big difference.

Well, I guess it comes to what one means by 'legitimate' and in what circumstances. Arranging a visa and then overstaying its term is probably not so 'legitimate', even though the initial entry to the country was so.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well, I guess it comes to what one means by 'legitimate' and in what circumstances. Arranging a visa and then overstaying its term is probably not so 'legitimate', even though the initial entry to the country was so.
Agreed. It’s a legitimate form of entry that can be exploited.

Bazal

Post Whore
That depends on your status, documents (or lack of them) and mode of arrival. This covers a fail chunk of the discussion.
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...liamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1415/AsylumFacts

My point is that there aren't really "normal" channels for seeking asylum.

The Australian government (both parties are equally culpable) would have people believe that you are illegal if you seek asylum say, on a boat...but it's simply not true and they are well and truly on the wrong side of international law by trying to criminalise these people.