What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Dibs

Bench
So you've been in that situation and have the experience to suggest that seeing stuff like this often (Folau is not the only person who posts this shit) has little to no impact? That the idea that there are a large number of people who basically think they are evil or wrong because of the way they were born is meaningless to them?

I wonder why the suicide rate is so high in people with other sexualities then...?
You have no idea what situation I have been in. You asked what I thought so I told you. If people think they are evil or wrong because of what one fruit loop says then imo the problem is with them. If they feel that way because a large group of people think that then it is more understandable and may well have a big impact on them. However falou is only a very small percentage of these people so his statement alone would not have a big impact on them. As large as the group of haters is they are way smaller then people who say what you are is not wrong or evil. So why believe the minority over the majority?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Whether Folau likes it or not, many people look up to him as an elite sportsperson and his views can influence the perspectives of others.

Taking the religious/heaven and hell component out of the post, he is essentially stating that there is something wrong with anyone that falls into the 8 categories he listed and anyone that does is of less value than those that share his perspective on life.

That’s a shitty opinion to have.

Bazal

Post Whore
You have no idea what situation I have been in. You asked what I thought so I told you. If people think they are evil or wrong because of what one fruit loop says then imo the problem is with them. If they feel that way because a large group of people think that then it is more understandable and may well have a big impact on them. However falou is only a very small percentage of these people so his statement alone would not have a big impact on them. As large as the group of haters is they are way smaller then people who say what you are is not wrong or evil. So why believe the minority over the majority?

That's why I asked what situation you have been in.

Folau's statement has more impact than Colin from Twitter or some rando. The major point is that it is not a statement made in isolation, just the one that made the news. Incel4153 from Reddit isn't going to make the news, but that doesn't mean that Incel4153's statements do not exist. And a public figure, with a wide reach, should know better than to spread such rubbish. How do you know which statement might be the last straw?

How do you know what a sixteen year old kid from a rugby school (let's say Marist Canberra), struggling with his sexuality, who looks up to Folau as a Wallaby feels when he sees someone he idolises say that about him?

Dibs

Bench
Funny thing is Izzy is proclaiming the Bible but he believes in a pagan mythical hell.
Hell literally just means the grave and it's been twisted over the years. 4 words, Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus have been translated as hell. Sheol means grave, Hades is the greek translation of Sheol, Gehenna is a literal place outside of Jeruselum and Tarturus was a word used in Greek mythology for a place of torture. Tarturus was not used for humans.

So yes, I'm off to hell as well.
Yes he is a hypocrite and uneducated in his own religion. IIRC and I may not there is no mention of hell in the Bible. A place where you cry and nash your teeth is mentioned often. If he wanted to be more accurate I guess he could say these people won’t enter the kingdom of heaven without repent. The fact is we are all sinners Izzy just likes to single out the sins he has an issue with which in itself is a sin

Dibs

Bench
That's why I asked what situation you have been in.

Folau's statement has more impact than Colin from Twitter or some rando. The major point is that it is not a statement made in isolation, just the one that made the news. Incel4153 from Reddit isn't going to make the news, but that doesn't mean that Incel4153's statements do not exist. And a public figure, with a wide reach, should know better than to spread such rubbish. How do you know which statement might be the last straw?

How do you know what a sixteen year old kid from a rugby school (let's say Marist Canberra), struggling with his sexuality, who looks up to Folau as a Wallaby feels when he sees someone he idolises say that about him?
Well in my opinion even if it is the last straw it doesn’t mean it was any more of an impact then the first straw. No particular straw is a big impact but the sum of all is. That unfortunate kid has been let down more close to home I would think if Izzy’s irresponsible comments are the last straw

Bazal

Post Whore
Well in my opinion even if it is the last straw it doesn’t mean it was any more of an impact then the first straw. No particular straw is a big impact but the sum of all is. That unfortunate kid has been let down more close to home I would think if Izzy’s irresponsible comments are the last straw

Which I essentially agree with.

However it doesn't change the fact that a bloke like Folau shouldn't be making these statements, because like you've just said, they are irresponsible. And he is a in a position where they reach a wide audience and CAN have a big impact.

Dibs

Bench
Which I essentially agree with.

However it doesn't change the fact that a bloke like Folau shouldn't be making these statements, because like you've just said, they are irresponsible. And he is a in a position where they reach a wide audience and CAN have a big impact.
But he has the right to his beliefs and to share them no matter how deluded he is just like jo blow on reddit. It’s unfortunate that he has a larger reach but that doesn’t give him less right to share. If however he incited violence against the sinners he singled out then it was be more just to call it social media terrorism as Gronk did which was the only thing I was really responding to. I thought his comments were I’ll considered and irresponsible but that doesn’t change the fact he has the right to express them. As far as the people out there that may be affected to the point of self harm then I just hope they have a loving and caring support network

Bazal

Post Whore
But he has the right to his beliefs and to share them no matter how deluded he is just like jo blow on reddit. It’s unfortunate that he has a larger reach but that doesn’t give him less right to share. If however he incited violence against the sinners he singled out then it was be more just to call it social media terrorism as Gronk did which was the only thing I was really responding to. I thought his comments were I’ll considered and irresponsible but that doesn’t change the fact he has the right to express them. As far as the people out there that may be affected to the point of self harm then I just hope they have a loving and caring support network

Well, separate discussion I suppose, but does he actually have the right?

I'm not up on what may and may not constitute "unacceptable" speech, and Folau almost certainly hasn't crossed that line with one lame throwaway. But Australia has no "right" to freedom of speech. And we don't now what the ARU code of conduct may or may not say about stuff like homophobia and other forms of discrimination.

Anyway, the bloke is f**kwit.

Dibs

Bench
Well, separate discussion I suppose, but does he actually have the right?

I'm not up on what may and may not constitute "unacceptable" speech, and Folau probably hasn't crossed that line. But Australia has no "right" to freedom of speech. And we don't now what the ARU code of conduct may or may not say about stuff like homophobia and other forms of discrimination.

Anyway, the bloke is f**kwit.
Well I don’t think he has crossed the line but if the government was to say he has I have no problem with that.
I do think as far as rugby goes he has crossed the line because as I said before he is shitting in the hand that feeds him. If I was the ARU I’d seriously think of cutting him loose. Especially since he has been warned for this shit before

Bazal

Post Whore
Haha. What a f**kbag!!

I'm yet to encounter an oustspoken religious person of Folau's ilk (ie not just the random Christian in the street who keeps to themselves) who wasn't a massive hypocrite in some way.

I mean, hypocrisy is basically human nature, but outspoken religious people seem to take it to extremes

Dibs

Bench
I'm yet to encounter an oustspoken religious person of Folau's ilk (ie not just the random Christian in the street who keeps to themselves) who wasn't a massive hypocrite in some way.

I mean, hypocrisy is basically human nature, but outspoken religious people seem to take it to extremes
I think I mentioned this here before. My daughters best friends mother is a lesbian and when the same sex marriage debate was heating up my daughter and her friend came across a street corner preacher. He was saying the idea of marriage is to produce children therefore gay people shouldn’t marry. My daughter’s friend said some people can’t have children due to medical reasons so does that mean they can’t marry. He said of course not so both girls said to him then why not gay people? He spluttered and the only response he could come up with is you girls need to behave yourselves

Happy MEel

First Grade

Yep I’m sure I$$y was paid handsomely to be the face of that tournament.

Snoochies

First Grade
Yes he is a hypocrite and uneducated in his own religion. IIRC and I may not there is no mention of hell in the Bible. A place where you cry and nash your teeth is mentioned often. If he wanted to be more accurate I guess he could say these people won’t enter the kingdom of heaven without repent. The fact is we are all sinners Izzy just likes to single out the sins he has an issue with which in itself is a sin
The crying and nashing of teeth was Jesus referring to the coming judgement on Israel. He used Gehenna as reference to what was spoken of in Jeramiah, that judgement was upon them and coming soon.

I'm not sure what Church Izzy is going to at the moment, once he's fired he'll be holding placards out in the streets.

If and when he learns the root of the meanings, he's gonna look silly. Unfortunately majority of Christians have no idea, I was one but took some time to go learn.

Dibs

Bench
The crying and nashing of teeth was Jesus referring to the coming judgement on Israel. He used Gehenna as reference to what was spoken of in Jeramiah, that judgement was upon them and coming soon.

I'm not sure what Church Izzy is going to at the moment, once he's fired he'll be holding placards out in the streets.

If and when he learns the root of the meanings, he's gonna look silly. Unfortunately majority of Christians have no idea, I was one but took some time to go learn.
Isn’t the crying and nashing of teeth mentioned numerous times in the Old Testament as well? I could easily be wrong it has been well over 20 years since I studied this stuff

Snoochies

First Grade
Isn’t the crying and nashing of teeth mentioned numerous times in the Old Testament as well? I could easily be wrong it has been well over 20 years since I studied this stuff
Yes and this is why Jesus used these verses. The Jews knew exactly what he was talking about. In the OT the Jews took on the pagan practice of sacrificing their babies to the god of molech, long story short, the place where they did this was in gehenna. God judged them for it, Jeruselum wiped out, they were judged and their bodies burnt up in gehenna. Jesus again used this is a warning that the final judgement against them was near. When he referred to gehenna, they knew straight away what he was on about. History tells us, those who believed fled when the roman armies came and those who rejected him stayed and rome utterly destroyed the city and all who were in it.

strider

Post Whore
I am an equal opportunity sledger. I will make fun of ALL people's imaginary friends.

Seriously but, telling all and sundry that 4 out of 5 people are going to burn in hell is no different to ISIS merkins saying the same. It's social media terrorism.

This guy is a high profile sportsman FFS getting paid $1m+ and is blackening the name of his employers and affiliated sponsors. He's got to shut up or go.
I guess the subtle difference is that ISIS merkins do actually burn people in hell