What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Bazal

Post Whore
The only reason Folau's rants reach so far is cos every f**ker wants to be outraged by them ... ignore the merkin

Yeah it's just that, it's not the fact that he has 316k instagram followers, 130k Facebook followers and 121k Twitter followers.

I think the news shouldn't share what he said personally, but they're always using stuff like this in the best way they can to generate more emotion. To say he only reaches so far because of some rubbish about "wanting to be outraged" is more than a little simplistic though.

EDIT: I should clarify I think it's rubbish that everything these days gets blamed on some sort of mythical "outrage culture" or whatever. Discrimination shouldn't be ok.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
Yeah it's just that, it's not the fact that he has 316k instagram followers, 130k Facebook followers and 121k Twitter followers.

I think the news shouldn't share what he said personally, but they're always using stuff like this in the best way they can to generate more emotion. To say he only reaches so far because of some rubbish about "wanting to be outraged" is more than a little simplistic though.

EDIT: I should clarify I think it's rubbish that everything these days gets blamed on some sort of mythical "outrage culture" or whatever. Discrimination shouldn't be ok.
I believe outrage culture is very real ... been around for ages but the internet has ramped it up like crazy - and the media are all over it like flies on shit cos they know people will lap it up.

And all those numbers of followers likely overlap ... and 50% of em are probably fake/expired ... and 50% of whats left are probably religious nutters like himself anyway

He is reaching the greater masses via outrage - the media knows people lap up the outrage so they push it like theres no tomorrow to get their clicks

Bazal

Post Whore
I believe outrage culture is very real ... been around for ages but the internet has ramped it up like crazy - and the media are all over it like flies on shit cos they know people will lap it up.

And all those numbers of followers likely overlap ... and 50% of em are probably fake/expired ... and 50% of whats left are probably religious nutters like himself anyway

He is reaching the greater masses via outrage - the media knows people lap up the outrage so they push it like theres no tomorrow to get their clicks

I don't think that's what people generally mean by outrage culture, though. That's just human nature.

There's no doubt that people, mostly increasingly outdated conservatives and boomers it seems, use the idea of "outrage culture" to imply that younger generations are more easily outraged, or more easily offended, or outraged over meaningless things than the "good old days". That is definitely a myth

strider

Post Whore
I don't think that's what people generally mean by outrage culture, though. That's just human nature.

There's no doubt that people, mostly increasingly outdated conservatives and boomers it seems, use the idea of "outrage culture" to imply that younger generations are more easily outraged, or more easily offended, or outraged over meaningless things than the "good old days". That is definitely a myth
To me outrage culture (and dont get me wrong, its not a term i throw around all the time, i didnt bring it up here) is simply people keen to show how upset they are about something by making sure others see they are upset ..... been happening for years with things like talkback radio and letters to the editor, but the internet makes it amazingly easy to do it now, hence its pretty much turned into a "culture"

Gronk

Staff member
Pfft Casper Ware is just a nuffy who played for Melbourne last year.

1EiX.gif