What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Haha, how did he turn out to be a merkin? Because he dumped on Hillary and Podesta?

It seems that you are not abreast with the news. US Government are charging Assange with conspiracy to help whistleblower Chelsea Manning crack a password which enabled her to pass on classified documents that published by WikiLeaks. So he went from publisher of the truth, to dirty government hacker.

IIRC he skipped bail in the UK, so he also has the Old Bailey to deal with too.

Why is he a merkin ?

Julian Assange: Where Righteous Mission Went Wrong

https://www.noted.co.nz/currently/world/julian-assange-where-righteous-mission-went-wrong/

Were those documents worthy of being published? Were they in the public interest? If so, then how does that make him a merkin?

Are you all of a sudden against Bradley Manning, now, too?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single thing that Wikileaks has published that wasn't in the public interest. I could be wrong, but I can't think of anything.

Are you two all of a sudden advocates for governments doing bad shit and then having that stay private and kept away from the people? When did this happen? Not under Bush, that's for sure.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I've never liked Assange or the idea that shit can be leaked because it is supposedly in the interests of the people.

The merkin should have been dealt with 7 years ago.

I agree, Gary.

We shouldn't have ever been allowed to see footage of how troops were acting during the Iraq War, nor should we have been allowed to know about Vault 7.

Governments should be able to do those things without the public ever knowing. We should be more focused on MAFS.

84 Baby

Referee
Whatever happened to “two wrongs don’t make a right”?
I’m happy for public interest exposures but it’s hardly like they were done in the most legal of ways

Still doesn’t excuse the second wrongdoers from doing the wrong they done
Not always, no, but sometimes yes. To me it depends on what other avenues were available and what the person's real motivations were. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons seems like one of those questions that will never be resolved.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I agree, Gary.

We shouldn't have ever been allowed to see footage of how troops were acting during the Iraq War, nor should we have been allowed to know about Vault 7.

Governments should be able to do those things without the public ever knowing. We should be more focused on MAFS.
There are other ways to ensure that governments are held accountable for being shit. In the western world, voting them out is a pretty powerful one.

Who holds Wikileaks, F**kileaks or whoever else accountable for deciding what is or isn’t in the public interest?

I don’t think the end justifies the means.

Now if you excuse me I will get back to watching MAFS.

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree, Gary.

It is crazy to think that MAFS captured a nation isn't it?