What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Whether you agree with Labor's rollback of negative gearing or not, this is certainly food for thought.

84 Baby

Referee
Whether you agree with Labor's rollback of negative gearing or not, this is certainly food for thought.

Depends. How many were in a loss position? And how were they all funding living?
Tax on that income is being paid somewhere

TheRam

Coach

Negative gearing should not exist for investment anything. It should only exist for the home owner and that is it. And I say this as a landlord of investment property. Why should investors get a leg up on the tax payers coin to speculate on his or her investment. It only encourages long term inflationary trends. Just like we see today where the average punter who unfortunately for them comes along a few decades later to become renters for all their lives unable to afford to buy their own home. Now that is an artificial market catering for the wealthy to the detriment of the poor.

But it should be removed fairly and not retrospectively. Government should not be hurting its citizens with laws but improving our lives. So just stop negative gearing from a given date but allow all previous investment owners to pay off their loans still using it. Once the loan has been squared, then no more negative gearing. Done.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Negative gearing should not exist for investment anything. It should only exist for the home owner and that is it. And I say this as a landlord of investment property. Why should investors get a leg up on the tax payers coin to speculate on his or her investment. It only encourages long term inflationary trends. Just like we see today where the average punter who unfortunately for them comes along a few decades later to become renters for all their lives unable to afford to buy their own home. Now that is an artificial market catering for the wealthy to the detriment of the poor.

But it should be removed fairly and not retrospectively. Government should not be hurting its citizens with laws but improving our lives. So just stop negative gearing from a given date but allow all previous investment owners to pay off their loans still using it. Once the loan has been squared, then no more negative gearing. Done.

Yes Labor have stated that the rollback will be grandfathered. So all existing tax structures will be honoured.

strider

Post Whore
I agree entirely with labors claim that investors shouldnt negative gear multiple properties.

BUT disagree with their approach ... which is to allow it on new developments only.

I think everyone should be allowed to negative gear just 1 property, old or new .... i think there are benefits to having property investment but agree it should not be oriented towards rich merkins having a heap of properties.

Gronk

Staff member
I agree entirely with labors claim that investors shouldnt negative gear multiple properties.

BUT disagree with their approach ... which is to allow it on new developments only.

I think everyone should be allowed to negative gear just 1 property, old or new .... i think there are benefits to having property investment but agree it should not be oriented towards rich merkins having a heap of properties.

Agree. The NSW government have a threshold for Land Tax. Meaning that those who have multiple investments are exposed to 1.6% when the combined land values exceed $692,000. There is even a premium property land tax which slugs you even more when land values top $4.2m.

These disincentives are good and help housing affordability*.

* ATO needs to stop allowing Land Tax to be tax deductible.

strider

Post Whore
I believe forcing negative gearing to new properties only will likely be a bad outcome for those on low incomes renting .... an older property == cheaper rent. If there are less around then it will become harder to get cheaper rent.

Gronk

Staff member
I believe forcing negative gearing to new properties only will likely be a bad outcome for those on low incomes renting .... an older property == cheaper rent. If there are less around then it will become harder to get cheaper rent.

Yeah I'm in two minds too. Whilst Homer Shorten is after the rich merkins who receive crazy tax benefits out of negative gearing, I know for a fact that the only way that some kids can get into the market is to buy a house/unit in bumf**knowhere and rent it out. Taking that option away from them will make it even harder to buy their first home.

ALrsW8.gif

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah I'm in two minds too. Whilst Homer Shorten is after the rich merkins who receive crazy tax benefits out of negative gearing, I know for a fact that the only way that some kids can get into the market is to buy a house/unit in bumf**knowhere and rent it out. Taking that option away from them will make it even harder to buy their first home.

ALrsW8.gif

It may hurt the rich a little but it would hurt the poor even more.

Eelogical

Referee
Loved it, but saddened that we are losing those beautiful true original Aussie ascents. We spoke so much better then I think.
Martin Place, 1979. Sometimes, the more things change the more they stay the same. Accents were still fine back then........topic aside.