What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

parra pete

Referee
A university student wrote a letter home to his parents. It read: “Dear mum and dad. I feel miserable because I have to keep writing for money. I feel ashamed and unhappy.
“I have to ask for another hundred, but every cell in my body rebels. I beg on bended knee that you forgive me.
Your son,
Pete.

P.S. I felt so terrible I ran after the mailman who picked this up in the box at the corner. I wanted to take this letter and burn it. I prayed to God that I could get it back. But I was too late.”

A few days later he received a letter from his father. It read: “Your prayers were answered. Your letter never came!”

cleardot.gif

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
A university student wrote a letter home to his parents. It read: “Dear mum and dad. I feel miserable because I have to keep writing for money. I feel ashamed and unhappy.
“I have to ask for another hundred, but every cell in my body rebels. I beg on bended knee that you forgive me.
Your son,
Pete.

P.S. I felt so terrible I ran after the mailman who picked this up in the box at the corner. I wanted to take this letter and burn it. I prayed to God that I could get it back. But I was too late.”

A few days later he received a letter from his father. It read: “Your prayers were answered. Your letter never came!”

cleardot.gif
Lol. Nice one.

Eelogical

Referee
View attachment 32516 View attachment 32517 View attachment 32518

First two pics are the front and the third is the back.

Thanks, mate. Any help would be appreciated.

Like i said, he is an old digger who i'm just trying to help out, he's a lovely bloke.
I'm going to have a crack at this. The image engravings are very good. I'd say the owner had an artistic gift but most likely earned a living doing something else, enjoyed fishing as a leisure sport as well as having a deep fondness of island life. He is most likely to be of anglo heritage, well educated and not poor as not too many people of the region would own a lighter, little alone have the capacity to engrave it. The symbols are cryptic as they are a combination of english, pictures and at least another language.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm going to have a crack at this. The image engravings are very good. I'd say the owner had an artistic gift but most likely earned a living doing something else, enjoyed fishing as a leisure sport as well as having a deep fondness of island life. He is most likely to be of anglo heritage, well educated and not poor as not too many people of the region would own a lighter, little alone have the capacity to engrave it. The symbols are cryptic as they are a combination of english, pictures and at least another language.
Not even close, river boy!

Gronk

Staff member
More from the Only In America files.

Meanwhile a black man in his own home ....

View attachment 32516 View attachment 32517 View attachment 32518

First two pics are the front and the third is the back.

Thanks, mate. Any help would be appreciated.

Like i said, he is an old digger who i'm just trying to help out, he's a lovely bloke.

Looks very much like this item at the link below, with some more work on it:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage...stralia-Aluminium-from-Aeroplane/202655654209

Has your mate owned it since the War?

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Looks very much like this item at the link below, with some more work on it:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage...stralia-Aluminium-from-Aeroplane/202655654209

Has your mate owned it since the War?

Wow, it’s nearly the same.

He was based in PNG sometime after WW2, 50’s or 60’s not exactly sure, tracking down crashed planes. He said he and his mate found the Swamp Ghost, if you know what that is.

He acquired it sometime around then, not sure how or when. He did say he was told it was made out of parts from a crashed Japanese plane.

By the looks of it it may not be genuine trench art, with a fair few maybe being produced.

Thanks for that, I’ll show him.

Wow, it’s nearly the same.

He was based in PNG sometime after WW2, 50’s or 60’s not exactly sure, tracking down crashed planes. He said he and his mate found the Swamp Ghost, if you know what that is.

He acquired it sometime around then, not sure how or when. He did say he was told it was made out of parts from a crashed Japanese plane.

By the looks of it it may not be genuine trench art, with a fair few maybe being produced.

Thanks for that, I’ll show him.

It's possible that troops / pilots were issued with the piece with some of those marks on them, and then others were added in the field. Or.....it could be a tourist item made and sold post-war.