What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Avenger

Immortal
A 10 year old Mercedes still drives looks and feels new. No rattles, no breakdowns. Just keeps going.

I'd like to see a Kia/Hyundai compare.
The resale on my Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander diesel that I’m selling is excellent. Bought new in 2016 for mid $50k and according to redbook they still command about $28k-$31k second hand.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
I reckon Hyundai are built quite well now.
The best thing about them has been their customer service. There was a knocking sound in the diff about 2 years ago. No questions asked they replaced the whole differential. Since then it has been faultless.
A bit on the cheap side with their interior finishing but in general it’s been a great car.

Bazal

Post Whore
A 10 year old Mercedes still drives looks and feels new. No rattles, no breakdowns. Just keeps going.

I'd like to see a Kia/Hyundai compare.

My 10 year old fking Lancer still drives, looks and feels new. Because I look after it. The missus near to wrote the thing off when we were in Tassie and it cost stuff all to fix even for the insurer, too.

I'm not out here comparing it to a Merc by any means because it's obviously not comparable....but I will 100% say you don't need to spend exorbitant money on (usually overpriced) European cars to get a bloody good one.

Incorrect

Coach
The resale on my Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander diesel that I’m selling is excellent. Bought new in 2006 for mid $50k and according to redbook they still command about $28k-$31k second hand.
Jeeesus!! I'm probably way out of touch but I would have thought anyone prepared to outlay 28-31K for a 14 year old Hyundai is probably a little soft in the head... Or an Eels fan... Of course they're not mutually exclusive...

Avenger

Immortal
Jeeesus!! I'm probably way out of touch but I would have thought anyone prepared to outlay 28-31K for a 14 year old Hyundai is probably a little soft in the head... Or an Eels fan... Of course they're not mutually exclusive...
2016. My mistake. :stuck_out_tongue:

84 Baby

Referee
The best thing about them has been their customer service
That was the turning point for Hyundai and now Kia to emulate Toyota. The premium badges have piss poor post purchase and service customer support, before even considering the extra cost they charge (not cost of parts which of course is going to be high).
It always disappointed me how non-premium Merc’s and BMW’s customer service was after sale

Eelogical

Referee
That was the turning point for Hyundai and now Kia to emulate Toyota. The premium badges have piss poor post purchase and service customer support, before even considering the extra cost they charge (not cost of parts which of course is going to be high).
It always disappointed me how non-premium Merc’s and BMW’s customer service was after sale
It's not surprising since they both come out of the same manufacturing plant.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm thinking there must be some Mother's Day skeptics out there. I mean how do you *know* that lady is your mother ?

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'm using facts.
Parts on those new powerfull turbo diesels are $$$ And if you think achieving 200kw from a 2l engine is not putting it under strain your delusional.

Parts and repairs on a standard 2l petrol not so much. Very basic engine.

Even the Hilux are not what they where. Plenty of those new ones end up lemons. Nothing like those ones built in 90s and early 2000s.

Parts on anything are expensive, older shit that is common you'll often be buying non oem, hence it'll be cheaper. But genuine it's all pretty comparable across the same manufacturer.

As for load, it goes down to build, 200kw ( I note you upped it from your previous 185kw ) is pretty easy from a 2.0 litre these days, plenty of manufacturers are doing it.

And they aint just blowing up everywhere.

I've worked with engines since I was f**king 18 years old mate, I'm now 52, I'm figuring that's longer than you've been alive.

You buy something that has decent performance, you look after it, it'll be reliable, it aint that hard.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Anyways KW's are pretty irrelevant in a modern turbo, it's torque that matters for most driving. Not having to ring the neck out of it like you would with your naturally aspirated engine to get any decent amount of power means you spend far less time pushing the limits of reliability.

hindy111

Post Whore
Parts on anything are expensive, older shit that is common you'll often be buying non oem, hence it'll be cheaper. But genuine it's all pretty comparable across the same manufacturer.

As for load, it goes down to build, 200kw ( I note you upped it from your previous 185kw ) is pretty easy from a 2.0 litre these days, plenty of manufacturers are doing it.

And they aint just blowing up everywhere.

I've worked with engines since I was f**king 18 years old mate, I'm now 52, I'm figuring that's longer than you've been alive.

You buy something that has decent performance, you look after it, it'll be reliable, it aint that hard.

Like I said. I wouldn't trust those tiny 2litre engines. Pumping out big power.
A 3.6 litre making 185kw is not being pushed. A 2 litre is working hard. How else do you think it's getting the power.
I'm sure they will be ok for 200,000kms but your not getting 700,000kms out of then like the old diesels

hindy111

Post Whore
Anyways KW's are pretty irrelevant in a modern turbo, it's torque that matters for most driving. Not having to ring the neck out of it like you would with your naturally aspirated engine to get any decent amount of power means you spend far less time pushing the limits of reliability.

No. What's important is how quickly it revs and the curve of power.
If the engine can make 140Kw and get there quicly rev wise and maintains a high level of Kw throughout the rev range. A car that makes 120Kw at 2000rpm and maxes at 140kw will be more useable then something that has 80kw at 2000rpm and makes 185kw at 6000rpm.

I've built bloody race engines.
A motor that

Latest posts