What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
TBH he is probably right. The rednecks would probably go postal
Many Americans have also never felt that the government represents everybody. They have a civil war in their recent history FFS. They also have an entrenched urban elite that publicly derides rural dwellers.

In Australia we don't really have such a schism. Our 'rural dwellers' are mostly in the suburbs, and most politicians still pretend to care about the working class.

Gronk

Staff member
'Sensible people' just means people with the same appetite for risk as yourself. The Australian nanny state certainly suits some people.

Maybe you should move there so you can be closer to your brothers in arms.

200.webp
200.webp

200.webp
200w.webp

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe you should move there so you can be closer to your brothers in arms.
I have been able to ingratiate myself with the soft, safe middle class world, so the nanny state suits me too. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of your let-them-eat-cake attitude.

If you don't know these people, and you clearly don't, then don't judge them. You're as ignorant of their world as they are of yours.

Gronk

Staff member
2017-10-04 17.43.09.jpg

I just walked past 12 of these f**kers litering my suburb.

Anyone else have these bikes ?

You need an app to unlock them apparently @ $1.99 / 30 mins.

Gronk

Staff member
I have been able to ingratiate myself with the soft, safe middle class world, so the nanny state suits me too. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of your let-them-eat-cake attitude.

If you don't know these people, and you clearly don't, then don't judge them. You're as ignorant of their world as they are of yours.

Of course I know who they are. I watch reality tv. Alaskan f**kwits is good but Swamp Weirdos is best.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Says the bloke missing the point...
I saw your point. Assault rifles weren't around when the US Constitution was amended the second time. Presumably this means it's null and void.

The point you missed was related to your statement on the purpose of the second amendment - to allow citizens to resist a tyrannical government. But how would they resist government forces WITHOUT MODERN WEAPONS FFS?!?!?

Bazal

Post Whore
I saw your point. Assault rifles weren't around when the US Constitution was amended the second time. Presumably this means it's null and void.

The point you missed was related to your statement on the purpose of the second amendment - to allow citizens to resist a tyrannical government. But how would they resist government forces WITHOUT MODERN WEAPONS FFS?!?!?

You know how they say you need to chuck spaghetti at a wall and if it sticks, it's cooked?

Spaghetti no sticky this time.

Bazal

Post Whore
Blah blah deflection

Not really. I'm just not particularly enamoured with arguing with someone who is simply creating an argument for the sheer (questionable) thrill of it today. While it certainly seems you have totally missed the point, in reality you've no doubt chosen to interpret the point in the way you believe will give you the most arguing, but I'd rather not.

Try again tomorrow, maybe I'll be more engaging?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not really. I'm just not particularly enamoured with arguing with someone who is simply creating an argument for the sheer (questionable) thrill of it today. While it certainly seems you have totally missed the point, in reality you've no doubt chosen to interpret the point in the way you believe will give you the most arguing, but I'd rather not.

Try again tomorrow, maybe I'll be more engaging?
Mate you're free to have an opinion but when you spout bullshit I need to bring you back to Urf. Putting shit on people because they have different beliefs to you is bigotry. You are literally Hitler.

Bazal

Post Whore
Mate you're free to have an opinion but when you spout bullshit I need to bring you back to Urf.

I'll tell you what. Despite not wanting to argue, I'll give you one little post. How's that?

You have chosen to interpret the post I made as suggesting that the amendment refers to muskets. This is incorrect (and I reckon you know that). The muskets were a tool to demonstrate exactly how different things were at the time the amendment was entered into the constitution. What I am suggesting is that the second amendment is severely out of date and does not apply to the modern world in the way it was intended in a world of muskets.

If you reckon that's bullshit, feel free to play the part of me in any argument you'd like to create from that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What's obvious is that the second amendment benefits some people and only presents greater risk to others. So it's also obvious why there is conflict over it. The 'right' to feel safe is one of the most consistently mutually exclusive privileges available in society. It is literally zero sum between disparate groups of strangers who mistrust each other.

What I'm seeing is that the people who want guns are far from the top of society (despite sharing the 'white privilege' they're forced to share with people much wealthier and safer than them), and all the people above them are trying to take the thing that makes them feel safe.

I've worked with a lot of these people - gun owning Americans - and they aren't the f**king idiots they're portrayed to be. Some of them are dumb, most are average, some are absolute geniuses (which is why they got to work with me). Their ideas about gun ownership are reasonable, but all would resist the blanket bans that would make city dwellers feel safest.

In places without the density of policing you'll find in cities you need to be able to defend yourself. And while you might say nobody needs a semi-automatic weapon, there are plenty of circumstances where a bolt action rifle doesn't offer high enough rate of fire to deter a horde of zombies shambling toward your home.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So perhaps any restriction on firearms could include the clause "except in case of zombies" Which I think would be fairly reasonable.