What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Seems like doom and gloom to me. For as long as i can remember it has been hot as f**k in Sydney. I know it is going to be 3 days of heat and the grid will be pushed but it's not like it's out of the ordinary to be hot.

Why put fear into everyone by saying they'll black us out? Never heard it before to be honest. Is it because SA has managed their power so poorly that they feel the need to threaten us with the same?

Well, I think it's partly clickbait. But, if there is a credible chance of it happening, surely it's best to let people know that that is the case.

Kornstar

Coach
Well, I think it's partly clickbait. But, if there is a credible chance of it happening, surely it's best to let people know that that is the case.

Sure and agreed but there seems to be some panic.......the media has certainly caused that.

I'm all good, if we black out we will just stay in the pool instead of inside with aircon. I'll actually save money that way.........

Sure and agreed but there seems to be some panic.......the media has certainly caused that.

I'm all good, if we black out we will just stay in the pool instead of inside with aircon. I'll actually save money that way.........

I'm just making sure that I save my work every 10 minutes (as well as auto-saving)........

Incorrect

Coach
Best thing to do is head to your local Leagues club or RSL.... sit back and sink a few schooners.... they'll have generators on hand if there are black outs because nothing, BUT NOTHING, is going to stop pokies working and taking money off those poor fools throwing their hard earned and pensions in....

Incorrect

Coach
I'm just making sure that I save my work every 10 minutes (as well as auto-saving)........
That's been the great thing with the LU Forum upgrade, drafts get saved now.... So even if I get sidetracked with something meaningless, like my job for instance, I can always go back later and pick up my train of thought and none of you merkins miss out on my brilliant posts!

Gronk

Staff member
Seems like doom and gloom to me. For as long as i can remember it has been hot as f**k in Sydney. I know it is going to be 3 days of heat and the grid will be pushed but it's not like it's out of the ordinary to be hot.

Why put fear into everyone by saying they'll black us out? Never heard it before to be honest. Is it because SA has managed their power so poorly that they feel the need to threaten us with the same?

Yeah reckon it's a propaganda push from the coal club against renewable energy.

FMD we must be the only country in the world with a gov who wants to build more coal fuelled power stations.

Meanwhile there is a push to close them all down in Europe by 2030.

http://www.brusselstimes.com/eu-aff...fired-power-stations-should-be-closed-by-2030

Kornstar

Coach
Yeah reckon it's a propaganda push from the coal club against renewable energy.

FMD we must be the only country in the world with a gov who wants to build more coal fuelled power stations.

Meanwhile there is a push to close them all down in Europe by 2030.

http://www.brusselstimes.com/eu-aff...fired-power-stations-should-be-closed-by-2030

I am not suggesting anything political, Gronk. Just pretty much that we are increasingly becoming soft as a society!

On the FB page for where i live the amount of people talking about keeping their kids home from school today because of the heat is amazing. It's as if it wasn't hot when we were growing up. I was never kept home for heat.

My daughter goes to a public school that is only in it's third year, i.e. brand new and the government in their wisdom didn't put aircon in, apparently spending 55 million on a brand new school the extra 100k to put in aircon was out of reach. The amount of whinging about it though is tremendous.

While it is ridiculous, it is not like kids going to school in summer without air-conditioning is a new thing.

FYI, i am all for renewable energy. I have solar but my inverter is broken. I was only getting a credit of $10 a quarter anyways so i need to change it for us to use the solar we generate, rather than a rebate. Thinking of getting the TESLA battery to be honest.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Actually, turn the power off in my area now. We don't mind as we are all at work anyway.
The bludgers in the fob suburbs (southwest) would mostly be home now so they can have it.
Just don't cut us off later.

strider

Post Whore
Actually, turn the power off in my area now. We don't mind as we are all at work anyway.
The bludgers in the fob suburbs (southwest) would mostly be home now so they can have it.
Just don't cut us off later.
But if they turn your power off now your chardonnay might not be chilled when you get home later on

hindy111

Post Whore
I am not suggesting anything political, Gronk. Just pretty much that we are increasingly becoming soft as a society!

On the FB page for where i live the amount of people talking about keeping their kids home from school today because of the heat is amazing. It's as if it wasn't hot when we were growing up. I was never kept home for heat.

My daughter goes to a public school that is only in it's third year, i.e. brand new and the government in their wisdom didn't put aircon in, apparently spending 55 million on a brand new school the extra 100k to put in aircon was out of reach. The amount of whinging about it though is tremendous.

While it is ridiculous, it is not like kids going to school in summer without air-conditioning is a new thing.

FYI, i am all for renewable energy. I have solar but my inverter is broken. I was only getting a credit of $10 a quarter anyways so i need to change it for us to use the solar we generate, rather than a rebate. Thinking of getting the TESLA battery to be honest.

Solar was a scam. They can change your cents per kilowatt anytime. Went from 22cents which what you pay to 5cents.
People seem to think they save the 22cents. No. You feed your power back into grid and buy it back at full price. Sell for 5cents buy for 22 cents.
For it to work well you need batteries and to store what you generate. Problem is batteries are expensive and have shelf life. Once batteries are priced reasonably you could set up and never need electricity company but im guessi g the elec companies have a say in whoever develops batteries.

hindy111

Post Whore
It does help the environment thou.....

As far as not enough power. Id say once its over 35 everyone has air cons on. So whats the difference if its 45? What changes ? Perhaps air cons run a little bit harder. But your talking small amounts.