What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

strider

Post Whore

People are saying he is getting special treatment because he is Novak Djokovic, when in fact it’s the opposite, as now it’s only because he is a high-profile and “influential” person that he is facing deportation.

I think both parties should come to an agreement and have Nole make a statement that he will be happy to get the vaccine when they make one that is safe and effective.

These merkins will be pissed that they have to don wigs and capes on Sunday when they've probably got a tee time booked at Royal Canberra and a Sunday Arvo session planned for the clubhouse thereafter... Good luck Novax!!
Well that's what his team were after so must be strategy behind it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, I'm serious. "The government should have assessed it properly". What do you mean by this?
I think I mentioned it in another post but the roles and responsibilities between the State and Feds were unclear. Historically border issues have been dealt with by the Feds. The Feds have wanted nothing to do with in recent times and as a result the states have been assessing them. But in this instance they changes the rules and jumped in to shit all over the original decision. This created confusion.

I also think there was evidence that came to light suggesting some of the information from Novak might have been questionable. It didn't appear that this got picked up until later.

So thats what I meant, but I'm happy to concede that "should have assessed it properly" is probably a dumb way to describe it. Perhaps I assumed that it would be read after the earlier posts and didn't need previous context repeated.

Can I just check - did you read everything backwards? Based on your timeline in my feed it appears as though you did.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
It’s important to understand the process of the court tomorrow.

Under judicial review of the Minister’s personal cancellation of a visa. courts are restricted to reviewing the lawfulness of an administrative decision, rather than considering whether it was the correct decision.

4) The rules of natural justice, and the code of procedure set out in Subdivision AB of Division 3 of Part 2, do not apply to a decision under subsection (3).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This has been the biggest bed shitting i have since the Parra/Cows Major Semi final in 2005. Plop on every level.

Bandwagon

Staff member
They don't have to own every member of government though, as it is quite obviously a coalition. A marriage of convenience, if you will.

You're right, they don't, they can stand by "the big tent".

It's just a very problematic sell with Georgie boy if they're literally deporting a bloke on the same basis.

lingard

Coach
I think I mentioned it in another post but the roles and responsibilities between the State and Feds were unclear. Historically border issues have been dealt with by the Feds. The Feds have wanted nothing to do with in recent times and as a result the states have been assessing them. But in this instance they changes the rules and jumped in to shit all over the original decision. This created confusion.

I also think there was evidence that came to light suggesting some of the information from Novak might have been questionable. It didn't appear that this got picked up until later.

So thats what I meant, but I'm happy to concede that "should have assessed it properly" is probably a dumb way to describe it. Perhaps I assumed that it would be read after the earlier posts and didn't need previous context repeated.

Can I just check - did you read everything backwards? Based on your timeline in my feed it appears as though you did.
Well, if I'd read everything backwards it would have been: '?sdrawkcab gnihtyreve dear uoy did ...... etc. Which would have taken way too long. So I just read it forwards. Sorry.

Do you think that they have abandoned actions relating to inconsistencies in his visa application by necessity constitutes a concession, or perhaps maybe that it is an acknowledgement of the clusterf**k, and or is merely for political expediency.

None of these possibilities are mutually exclusive.

lingard

Coach
Also, I'm not a Liberal or Scomo supporter by any means, but I also don't espouse to the idea that every single solitary thing they do is wrong. In this case I think Tennis Australia made a mistake, and the Federal Government had no choice but to intervene. Novax should never have been told (if he was) that his 'medical exemption' meant that he could come here and play tennis. If you have a look at the medical exemption form, it says that exemptions are rarely given, and that having had a positive result is not a valid reason. They are the government's rules (whether we like them or not). So how exactly has the Federal Government funked up?

Latest posts